PDA

View Full Version : IBM 486SLC2-50 Cache Utility

Cloudschatze
March 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've run into a bit of a wall with a particular 286 accelerator board, the I-O Data PK-X486S50. Despite trying a handful of drivers and utilities that should supposedly be compatible with it, I remain unable to correctly utilize the 16Kb cache. When enabled, the system actually runs slower than without.

This is a Japanese product, and I do not have the supplied drivers. From what I've been able to discover, a utility named PK486SQ.COM was originally provided to enable/disable the cache, and while I'm not sure that it is even compatible with DOS 6.22, if anyone has this, anything else that might work with an IBM 486SLC2 processor, or any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's worth mentioning that I am attempting to use this accelerator in a Tandy TL/2. Since there seem to be other quirks (i.e., the system will not boot with the upgrade board's math co-processor enabled), it's possible that it might work just dandy in anything other than the Tandy, with the same drivers/utilities that I've already tried.

IBMMuseum
March 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I've run into a bit of a wall with a particular 286 accelerator board, the I-O Data PK-X486S50. Despite trying a handful of drivers and utilities that should supposedly be compatible with it, I remain unable to correctly utilize the 16Kb cache. When enabled, the system actually runs slower than without.

This is a Japanese product, and I do not have the supplied drivers. From what I've been able to discover, a utility named PK486SQ.COM was originally provided to enable/disable the cache, and while I'm not sure that it is even compatible with DOS 6.22, if anyone has this, anything else that might work with an IBM 486SLC2 processor, or any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's worth mentioning that I am attempting to use this accelerator in a Tandy TL/2. Since there seem to be other quirks (i.e., the system will not boot with the upgrade board's math co-processor enabled), it's possible that it might work just dandy in anything other than the Tandy, with the same drivers/utilities that I've already tried.

You can check on the cache state or enable it probing at the processor registers. There are various utilities for the 386SLC/486SLC2/486SLC3, but I've only seen them for the "true blue" IBM upgrades, where the CPU upgrades tend to be trouble-free when put on an IBM system. I'll look over some of the data I have, and can suggest some easy ways to check/enable the cache.

Terry Yager
March 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Perhaps because the '286 isn't fully implemented in that Tandy? It's crippled by being tied to an 8-bit bus.

--T

Cloudschatze
March 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You can check on the cache state or enable it probing at the processor registers. There are various utilities for the 386SLC/486SLC2/486SLC3, but I've only seen them for the "true blue" IBM upgrades, where the CPU upgrades tend to be trouble-free when put on an IBM system. I'll look over some of the data I have, and can suggest some easy ways to check/enable the cache.

Excellent! Thank-you for looking into this.

Perhaps because the '286 isn't fully implemented in that Tandy? It's crippled by being tied to an 8-bit bus.

Possibly, however, I've successfully used two additional accelerators in the TL/2 (Improve-it Technologies' Make-it 486, and a Buffalo HRX-12T), which use the TX486SLC/E and TI486DLC/E, respectively. For these, a Cyrix cache-enabling utility worked without any problems whatsoever.

The PK-X486S50 was supposed to trump them both, alas.