PDA

View Full Version : Datatrain DPC series

Druid6900
March 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Well, I got a Datatrain DPC-2112 286 system the other day to go with the DPC-1000 I've had for a while, and, after vaccuming out the mouse crap and sunflower seed shells, it worked fine except that the 1.2MB floppy drive is going to need a little work.

Got a generic XT system as well in one of those push-the-buttons-on-the-side-of-the-case-and-flip-it-up type cases with the BRB on the power supply and a spare identical motherboard so I can set up an XT test jig now. Also got a Roland 1012 and a Citizen 120D printer.

Anyway, a few questions;

In the 2112, does anyone know what the original hard drive was? (it was, of course, missing)

In the 1000, does anyone have one that can take a picture of what was used to mount the (I'm assumming a FH 360K drive) floppy drive to the chassis? I might have the part and just don't recognize it.

The XT clone came with a pair of HH CDC 9428-02 360K floppies and it doesn't like either of them. Anyone have one that they can take a picture of the main logic to check the jumpers? Nothing on it is labelled.

Info on all three of these items seems hard to come by on the net.

TIA

Chuck(G)
March 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Don't know about the -02, but here's (http://www.sydex.com/temp/cdc9428.jpg) a shot of a 9428 that I have. Still has the AT mounting rails on it, so it's probably set up the way it should be.

Druid6900
March 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Don't know about the -02, but here's (http://www.sydex.com/temp/cdc9428.jpg) a shot of a 9428 that I have. Still has the AT mounting rails on it, so it's probably set up the way it should be.

Well, it's not exactly the same as the -02, but, close enough and mine aren't set up anywhere near that, so, I'll have to try repositioning the jumpers.

It's difficult to see, but, on the left hand side of the row of stacking pins, is there a set before the first blue jumper?

Thanks for the photo, Chuck.

Chuck(G)
March 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Two empty positions (4 pins) to the left of the 1st jumper, then an empty position, then a jumper. On the extreme right of the block, an empty position, then a jumper.

The HW Maint's also on Bitsavers (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/77715900_9428_HwMaint_Sep85.pdf), which should help. See P. 24 in it for jumper settings.

Druid6900
March 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Two empty positions (4 pins) to the left of the 1st jumper, then an empty position, then a jumper. On the extreme right of the block, an empty position, then a jumper.

The HW Maint's also on Bitsavers (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/77715900_9428_HwMaint_Sep85.pdf), which should help. See P. 24 in it for jumper settings.

Thanks again, Chuck.

The ones I have are the ones with the Intel processor, so, the jumpers are a bit different and nothing like they are set up on the logic board.

I'll try them out and report back on the result.

strollin
March 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Got a generic XT system as well in one of those push-the-buttons-on-the-side-of-the-case-and-flip-it-up type cases with the BRB on the power supply ...

Built several systems way back when with those type of cases. Really easy access to change cards, jumpers, etc... They were pretty shabbily constructed but very useful!

Chuck(G)
March 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Built several systems way back when with those type of cases. Really easy access to change cards, jumpers, etc... They were pretty shabbily constructed but very useful!

One of the systems that I had here had one of those cases with a lid that had the interesting propensity to slam down when you least expected it. I eventually removed the hinge bolts so the top could be lifted off entirely and thereby avoided any unintended dactylectomies (is that even a word?). ;)

DataTrain Elite
August 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Yes i have a DataTrain DPC 2112 too it has/came with a Seagate ST-157a RLL Hard drive and mine barly works because it gets static seize all the time.