PDA

View Full Version : 1764 REU Upgrade Fun

hexsane
March 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
http://vintagemashups.net/pics/reu1.jpg

Nice clean holes for the (lightly used) sockets to go into.
(Having desoldering equipment makes life so much easier - I remember trying this as a kid with a garbage soldering iron, radio shack solderwick and soldapullit thingy, blew some traces but it did work after hours and hours of work).

http://vintagemashups.net/pics/reu2.jpg
OOOOhhh, AAAAAhhh - pretty sockets.

http://vintagemashups.net/pics/reu3.jpg
All RAMmed up. Now all I need to do is figure out what ROM I'm going to use and remember where that blasted resistor goes.

Its going into a 128DCR
I've heard things about:
KeyDOS
Servant

Would like to find something that accelerates loading to be in one of the ROMs (REU or Functions ROM) and can't spring for JiffyDOS right now :(

Any good freebies out there?

What is RAMDOS? Saw a page with REU ROM and SRAM stacked together but don't know anything about it.

Unknown_K
March 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Nice job, I am going to do my 128K unit into 512K for my C128 one of these days.

Are you going to run GEOS (what else uses the extra RAM, CP/M)?

hexsane
March 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Nice job, I am going to do my 128K unit into 512K for my C128 one of these days.

Are you going to run GEOS (what else uses the extra RAM, CP/M)?

The intension is GEOS and I hope CP/M will see it, don't know if it will (haven't had the time to dig into it). But mostly it was for fun. :)

-Matt

wiskow
March 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM
All RAMmed up. Now all I need to do is figure out what ROM I'm going to use and remember where that blasted resistor goes.

Its going into a 128DCR
I've heard things about:
KeyDOS
Servant

Would like to find something that accelerates loading to be in one of the ROMs (REU or Functions ROM) and can't spring for JiffyDOS right now :sad:

Any good freebies out there?

On my personal C128 setup, I have the Servant ROM installed in the internal function ROM socket, and KeyDOS installed in the 1750's function ROM socket. Both of these ROMs get along quite well together. :)

JiffyDOS wouldn't go into the function ROM socket because it's a kernal ROM replacement, not a function ROM.

Pretty much all of these ROMs are available for downloading from the Internet, and then you can burn them yourself onto a blank EPROM, or have someone do it for you if you don't have an EPROM programmer.

(what else uses the extra RAM, CP/M)?

Both of the BBSs that I run use the 512K of additional RAM to store modules that would otherwise have to be loaded from disk.

Terry Yager
March 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I hope CP/M will see it, don't know if it will (haven't had the time to dig into it).

-Matt

CP/M 3.x will see more than 64K of RAM via bank switching (up to 128K?), but earlier versions will only use 64K without some extensive hard- and software mods. With the proper program, v.2.x can use extra memory for a RAMdisk.

--T

hexsane
March 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I've always used a c64 and not had much exposure to the 128 so its a new experience for me. :)

I've setup my DCR with:
JiffyDOS
KeyDOS
Servant

I have a few CP/M disks but no clue what they are yet. I have a pile of c64s and 1541s to go through before I can really start to play around. Need to make some space around here.

Thanks for the help and info guys!