PDA

View Full Version : NEC Pinwriter P5200 in WinXP

Tiberian Fiend
March 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
It seems that no matter what I set the page size or margins to, text and graphics, especially footers, always run over to the next page (continuous feed). Is this a driver issue, or is my printer physically incapable of what modern printing requires of it? Is there some sort of page-alignment utility I can use to re-center my documents?

I've also tried printing using WordPerfect for Windows 6.0 under Win3.11, with even odder results: the printing breaks for the page properly, but the printing starts too low on the page as before, but it continually migrates further down with each page.

I also can't get it to print in color with the color kit I bought on eBay, but I doubt I'll ever get that sorted out. I installed it and it prints in black OK, but I can't get any color out of it.

MikeS
March 21st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Might be a conflict with the printer defaults (auto perf skip?); have you got the manual?

Tiberian Fiend
March 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
That I do.

To clarify, the printhead automatically starts an inch down the page, and the driver doesn't seem to take that into account.

Tiberian Fiend
March 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM
OK, my manual says that the factory default "memory switch" setting is for perforation skip to be off.

MikeS
March 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Looks like there was a driver for Win3.1...

Have you tried Epson LQ mode? Shorten (or lengthen) page length? Using cut sheets or continuous forms?

What happens if you use the Generic Text driver? You should be able to use colour if you manually insert the control codes.

modem7
March 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
In the early 90s, I used to repair the P5300, which is simply a wider version of the P5200.

I've placed my notes from the time at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/P5300.htm

With the P5200/P5300, the changing of settings is done by putting the printer into setup mode.
It's done by holding in the front panel SELECT button at power on.
A listing of settings is at http://www.nefec.org/upm/printers/mncp52.htm#Settings

It seems that no matter what I set the page size or margins to, text and graphics, especially footers, always run over to the next page (continuous feed). Is this a driver issue, or is my printer physically incapable of what modern printing requires of it? Is there some sort of page-alignment utility I can use to re-center my documents?
I think your driver/s are issuing a form feed to get the printer to go to the top of the next page. For that (and other stuff) to work, the P5200 needs to be told the length of the paper (perforation to perforation).
In the setup of the printer, check the setting of FORM SETTINGS / FORM LENGTH against the actual paper you are using.

I also can't get it to print in color with the color kit I bought on eBay, but I doubt I'll ever get that sorted out. I installed it and it prints in black OK, but I can't get any color out of it.
I have a section on that topic in my notes that I pointed to. Under DOS, it's a driver issue. Under Windows, it's the combination of Windows and the driver.
From memory, in some DOS programs, there were two drivers: "P5200" and "P5200 color"

MikeS
March 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Just in case there's something relevant in here that's not in your manual:

http://printers.necam.com/public/printers/csds/273918.pdf

Tiberian Fiend
March 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Have you tried Epson LQ mode?
How would I do that? Switch drivers?

What happens if you use the Generic Text driver?
It makes the text too short for the page and makes the left margin too wide, but it keeps everything on one page.

You should be able to use colour if you manually insert the control codes.
Please, explain.

I think your driver/s are issuing a form feed to get the printer to go to the top of the next page. For that (and other stuff) to work, the P5200 needs to be told the length of the paper (perforation to perforation).
In the setup of the printer, check the setting of FORM SETTINGS / FORM LENGTH against the actual paper you are using.
It's set at 11", and I'm using 9" x 11" forms.

I've printed 40-page catalogs before without the image migrating at all. It prints at the correct length, it simply prints pages about an inch lower than it should.

I have a section on that topic in my notes that I pointed to. Under DOS, it's a driver issue. Under Windows, it's the combination of Windows and the driver.
From memory, in some DOS programs, there were two drivers: "P5200" and "P5200 color"
So how do I fix it? Can I fix it?

Just in case there's something relevant in here that's not in your manual:

http://printers.necam.com/public/printers/csds/273918.pdf
Thanks, I found that while Googling.

MikeS
March 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
I take it you're using single sheets, since if it were continuous forms you'd just have to realign the forms.

The generic should work if you're printing simple unformatted text.

What OS are you using now?
And is this a parallel or serial printer?

Tiberian Fiend
March 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm using XP, and parallel.

I am using continuous forms, with the edge of the paper just meeting the bail. If I position it any lower than that, the paper will jam.

modem7
March 22nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
How would I do that? Switch drivers?
Yes, because the P5200 emulates an Epson LQ-800, you could test how the Epson LQ-800 driver behaves.
In my experience, printer emulation is never perfect.

I've printed 40-page catalogs before without the image migrating at all. It prints at the correct length, it simply prints pages about an inch lower than it should.
I am using continuous forms, with the edge of the paper just meeting the bail. If I position it any lower than that, the paper will jam.
So in this particular printing scenario, the pages are simply out by about an inch.
Try printing after doing this this:
1. Turn off printer (important).
2. Position paper so that the the perforation between the first two sheets is about 1 inch below the print head.
3. Turn printer on (sets the form feed position within the printer - in case printer driver is sending form feeds).

I've also tried printing using WordPerfect for Windows 6.0 under Win3.11, with even odder results: the printing breaks for the page properly, but the printing starts too low on the page as before, but it continually migrates further down with each page.
This is different to the symptom under XP and needs to be treated separately. This symptom has all the hallmarks of a mismatch in paper size somewhere. You've confirmed that the paper length setting in the printer matches your physical paper length, so that leaves two possibilities:
1. Paper length setting in Windows 3.11 printer driver.
2. Paper length setting in WordPerfect 6.

So how do I fix it? Can I fix it?
In regard to colour printing.
It comes down to the driver. I've looked at the P5200 driver for XP. It supports colour.
I did an experiment:
1. In XP, selected P5200 as default printer.
2. Ran Wordpad.
3. Selected 'Helvetica PS' font (a font built in to the printer - makes file size in next steps small).
4. Type in five A's.
5. Printed to file.
6. Highlighted the five A's and changed their colour to red.
7. Printed to file.

By comparing the two files, I could see that XP inserted extra escape sequences in the file of 'red A'. Those extra escape sequences must be connected with the selection of red in the printer.

See if you can print in colour by placing red text in Wordpad. It shouldn't matter, but use the 'Helvetica PS' font.

MikeS
March 23rd, 2009, 05:52 AM

Hmmm, that could be part of your problem; I'd think it should be a little lower, and it shouldn't jam regardless of where you align it. When you do a formfeed is the print head on the correct line?

Tiberian Fiend
March 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys, I think I've got it now. The printer was putting the edge of the paper at the bail automatically, and since the bail closed too soon and jammed the paper with the edge at the printhead, I didn't think I was supposed to start with the bail open or with the paper positioned that low. I've adjusted the load position stored in the memory slightly so the bail closes at the proper time now.

Using the built-in font does the trick for getting it to print in color. Is there no way to get it to print normal TrueType text in color?

modem7
March 24th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Using the built-in font does the trick for getting it to print in color. Is there no way to get it to print normal TrueType text in color?
That to me suggests that you tried a TrueType font in Wordpad but was unable to see it print in colour. Please confirm that.

I ask because when I examine the output file produced using red "aaaa" of Arial font in Wordpad, I can see that the printer driver has switched to using dot graphics mode, and prints two rows of graphics with each row preceded by an escape sequence for red (1B, 72, 01) .

Tiberian Fiend
March 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hrmm... it's working... maybe it's the color I selected or the program I was using.

Tiberian Fiend
March 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
It's actually working quite well now. I can even print full-color clip art. I tried re-installing the color kit and changing all the settings before, and nothing worked. I blame gremlins.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/tiberianfiend/pinart.jpg

Not too shabby, eh? They can keep their inkjet printers, I think. Time to start hoarding color ribbons.

modem7
March 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
The P5300 was a good workhorse.

The commonest failure we saw was that of the printhead (common in other dot matrix printers we had too).
Specifically, pins start to break within the printhead. Some people hapilly tolerate one or two missing pins (some others don't notice).

Some advice. Use decent quality ribbons if you can. They have a lubricant in the ribbon surface which extends the life of the print head, and the mechanics is more reliable. We always tried to buy NEC ribbons, but sometimes a clerk would try to save the 'company' money by buying cheap 'compatible' ribbons. It was false economy because of the greater number of failures (damaged print heads, seized ribbons, damaged carriage motors).

Tiberian Fiend
March 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Sadly, the old-stock NEC-branded ribbons suffer from roller rot, i.e. the foam rubber rollers inside the cartridge that pull the ribbon grow brittle and crumble with age. The same just happened to my color ribbon (I bought the color kit NIB, so it came with an NEC ribbon), but I'm attempting a workaround.

Terry Yager
March 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
The P5300 was a good workhorse.

The commonest failure we saw was that of the printhead (common in other dot matrix printers we had too).
Specifically, pins start to break within the printhead. Some people hapilly tolerate one or two missing pins (some others don't notice).

Some advice. Use decent quality ribbons if you can. They have a lubricant in the ribbon surface which extends the life of the print head, and the mechanics is more reliable. We always tried to buy NEC ribbons, but sometimes a clerk would try to save the 'company' money by buying cheap 'compatible' ribbons. It was false economy because of the greater number of failures (damaged print heads, seized ribbons, damaged carriage motors).

I concur emphatically! I've seen many a printhead damaged by cheap ribbons that tend to gum things up. (I'll never use a Pellikan ribbon).

--T