PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 1541 Disk Drive

Aprules2
March 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Im still kind of new to owning a real c64, I always played with the Emulators. I just picked up a 1541 Disk drive from the local flea market, the guy I bought it from owns one of those clean out companies so he didn't know anything about it $2 later it was mine. Well to make a long story shore it has 2 silver toggle switches drilled into the front of the case, the drive only seems to read or write when they are both facing up. Does anyone know what this mod is? Also when connecting the drive does it matter is its in the left or right plug on the drive. I have an old 5.25 cleaning disk from my IBM is it a good idea to try and use it to clean the drive? Or is there a better way? Just would like to freshen it up if I can. I also just bought an adapter off eBay that goes between my PC and the C64 can I download emulator games and save them to floppies on the C64? Also is there certain Double Sides Double Density Disks that work and some that don't? I had some old IBM ones that worked in the IBM PC but wouldn't format on the C64.
Thanks
Anthony

hexsane
March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Could be drive # selection. Type flipping them and doing:

LOAD "$",9
LOAD "$",10
LOAD "$",11

Possible it has a JiffyDOS ROM installed and one of the switched will switch between JiffyDOS and standard ROM.

The connectors in the back are for chaining. It doesn't matter which you plug them into.

Yes you can use X1541 like cables to save to the actual drive for loading on a real C64.

I've never had a problem using any DSDD disks in a 1541 even those already formatted in other systems. I had some issues with 1571 drives and already formatted disks though (which still formatted in the 1541, go figure).

-Matt

Druid6900
March 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
If you are going to use a cleaning disk that has the inserts on both sides removed, put a piece of "Scotch" tape on the side that DOESN'T have a R/W head as the disks have a tendancy to rip off whatever they use to hold the diskette against the R/W head.

Make sure that the tape doesn't stick to the actual cleaning surface or it won't spin.

Aprules2
March 23rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Heres the adapter I bought for the C64 to PC http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220371710157

Also which side is the read write head? Also all my cleaner is is a fake 5.25 with what looks liek fabric inside and you put alcohal on it then tell the drive to read. If I take the drive apart and take pictures of where the wires go from the switches can you guys tell me what they do? I don't have any C64 software yet just a few Apple 2 discs I formatted for it. Hopefully once that adapter comes I will.

hexsane
March 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
"- Can it run with the 1541 disk drive at the same time?
Yes. Of course, you must be careful of the device number, so they do not conflict with eachother"

From the appearance of the device/software you should be able to connect it in the series chain and do a disk copy from the mounted image to a real disk. They may have an option for directly copying to a drive but I didn't see it in the listing.

Aprules2
March 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thats actually what I was thinking set it up as another drive and then copy it onto my floppies. Ill probably try the thing out with the toggle switches tonight after work to see if they do change dive numbers.

Fallo
March 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Heres the adapter I bought for the C64 to PC http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220371710157

Also which side is the read write head? Also all my cleaner is is a fake 5.25 with what looks liek fabric inside and you put alcohal on it then tell the drive to read. If I take the drive apart and take pictures of where the wires go from the switches can you guys tell me what they do? I don't have any C64 software yet just a few Apple 2 discs I formatted for it. Hopefully once that adapter comes I will.

When transferring D64 images to a real disk, remember two things:

1. Many games you find on the web are PAL-fixed. Make sure to test them with an emulator first so that you don't transfer them and find that they don't work on an NTSC machine.

2. When transferring whole disk images (not individual files), you must first format the disk with the same ID marker that the image uses (the ID marker is shown in the directory listing).

Druid6900
March 25th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Also which side is the read write head? Also all my cleaner is is a fake 5.25 with what looks liek fabric inside and you put alcohal on it then tell the drive to read.

If you put the cleaning disk (and, yes, that's what ALL cleaning disks look like) face down with the notch on the left, you'll want to put the tape over the opening that is facing up as the R/W head is on the "bottom".

After taping that opening (rub the tape well where it contacts the cleaning disk jacket), grab the fabric in the hub hole and rotate it by hand to break any contact with the fabric.

Terry Yager
March 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
After taping that opening (rub the tape well where it contacts the cleaning disk jacket), grab the fabric in the hub hole and rotate it by hand to break any contact with the fabric.

Of course, applying a drop of alcohol to the cleaning pad should pretty much neutralize the stickiness of the tape...

--T

BG101
March 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM
What I would do is put some tape over the hole facing upwards, then stick it down by taping over the top of it. That way none of the sticky stuff will affect the cleaning disk (or plastic taped down like this will achieve the same results). Remember the pressure pad will be holding whatever you cover the hole with against the disk surface! Also any dissolved gunk from the tape will ruin the cleaning disk.

BG

wiskow
March 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The switches are most likely device selection switches. If installed correctly, they work like this:

UP - UP : deivce 8
DOWN - UP : device 9
UP - DOWN : device 10
DOWN - DOWN : device 11

If you open the drive up, the switches should both be connected to the device selection jumper pads, which are side-by-side on the drive's motherboard.

hexsane
March 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
If installed correctly, they work like this:

UP - UP : deivce 8
DOWN - UP : device 9
UP - DOWN : device 10
DOWN - DOWN : device 11

Are you a glass half empty or half full kind of person? Because alternately it could be:

DOWN - DOWN : 8
UP - DOWN : 9
DOWN - UP : 10
UP - UP : 11

Sorry. :twisted: I couldn't resist :mrgreen:

-Matt