PDA

View Full Version : Boot without PS/2 keyboard attached?

ahm
February 25th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I have an older Pentium 2 machine that I want to run headless. (It's going into a colo).
It does NOT have a BIOS option for "Halt on errors" so I am unable to set it to "None".

I think at one time, I'd run across a web page that told how to build a simple device (perhaps a single resistor) that fools the machine into thinking it has a keyboard attached. Of course, now that I'm looking for it, I can't find that page. Can someone point me to that info?

Thanks,
Andy

Jorg
February 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
No idea about other machines, for my compaq deskpro there was a NO-F1 utility somewhere. I could find it, but it'll only work with deskpro's I think, because it was a bios patch.

carlsson
February 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM
One idea is to gut apart an old (but to some extent working) keyboard, take the small circuit board + cable and put into something smaller, if there is not room for putting a keyboard next to the computer.

There are dongles to be purchased, but those I found are quite expensive. I don't know exactly what they perform, but probably the same thing as a keyboard circuit itself.

ahm
February 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
for my compaq deskpro there was a NO-F1 utility somewhere. I could find it, but it'll only work with deskpro's I think, because it was a bios patch.
Okay, that might work. It is some sort of Compaq, just not sure if it's a DeskPro or what.

ahm
February 25th, 2005, 09:41 AM
One idea is to gut apart an old (but to some extent working) keyboard, take the small circuit board + cable and put into something smaller.
I considered that and actually have a keyboard I can use, but it seems like an inelegant solution, somehow.

I wonder if this works:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-12/1112.html
(I'm inclined to test it with an expendable motherboard first)

Jorg
February 25th, 2005, 10:59 AM
for my compaq deskpro there was a NO-F1 utility somewhere. I could find it, but it'll only work with deskpro's I think, because it was a bios patch.
Okay, that might work. It is some sort of Compaq, just not sure if it's a DeskPro or what.

UPDATE:
Here's the official link to the compaq service pack that holds it (and has documentation)
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/SP0667.ZIP

joe sixpack
February 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
http://obvi.us/archives/2004/06/30/compaq-no-keyboard-hack/

be carefull though
1) not the official link
2) not sure what it does if its not the right PC

UPDATE:
Here's the official link to the compaq service pack that holds it (and has documentation)
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/SP0667.ZIP

Silly me i'd just find out who made the board and flash the bios.
This seems like a safer route.

ahm
February 26th, 2005, 12:27 PM
That SoftPaq is for machines that don't support Network Server boot. Apparently mine does, but the option is hidden until you set a Power-On Password(?!). Once I set the password, a new menu item appeared (Password Options) and I could then enable Network Server boot mode and the machine no longer looks for a keyboard.

Thanks everybody!

Jorg
February 26th, 2005, 12:48 PM
That SoftPaq is for machines that don't support Network Server boot. Apparently mine does, but the option is hidden until you set a Power-On Password(?!). Once I set the password, a new menu item appeared (Password Options) and I could then enable Network Server boot mode and the machine no longer looks for a keyboard.

Thanks everybody!

But now you have to type in the password on every boot.. on a keyboard that isnt attached :roll:

fll
March 15th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi!

It's very simple to boot without keyboard with a Compaq!
First: enter the bios (F10 key).
Second: in 'Security' menu, choose 'Power-On Password', then entre your password (twice)
Third: a new item in 'Security' menu is added, 'PassWord Options', choose it and 'Enable' the 'Nework Server Mode' item.

Now it's fine to boot without keyboard (but when you attach a keyboard, you have to enter a password!).

I hope this can help you!
François

ahm
March 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
If I ever get back over to the colo, I suppose I could try it out.
But the machine seems to be running fine:

$ uptime
12:00AM up 322 days, 7:35, 1 user, load averages: 0.09, 0.13, 0.13

jursoleo
November 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.versalent.biz/keylim.htm