PDA

View Full Version : I hit it lucky today

grarap
March 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Click and weep gentlemen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180341426229&mfe=sidebar

Now, I'm not a big Commodore person, but £15 was too good an offer to pass up. I don't think that I've ever seen one of these before. The big question is: how much is it worth? :twisted:

billdeg
March 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Let us know if it works first!

The printer is interesting, what model is it? To determine whether it's working hold down the reset or ready button when you turn it on, and if there is paper in the tractor, the test pattern will print.

Bill

Olds-kool gamer
March 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Click and weep gentlemen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180341426229&mfe=sidebar

Now, I'm not a big Commodore person, but £15 was too good an offer to pass up. I don't think that I've ever seen one of these before. The big question is: how much is it worth? :twisted:

Wow! That’s just amazing even if it doesn’t work you’ve got a real bargain.
I can’t believe he had it on a buy it now for just £15. It’s got to be worth a lot more than that for spares alone.

I’m seriously jealous.

Well done & let us know if it all works…

Olds-kool gamer
March 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Just had a look at his description to see if there was a catch.

Other than he prefers collection it all seems ok.

Although he did write :- "I would hate to have to skip this but I have lost my storage space so it needs a new home"

It’s comments like that, that make me wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. I shudder to think how many retro computers are going into skips these days.

I don’t think charity shops will accept them anymore due to electrical health a safety regs. Well at least this one was spared the big Yellow dustbin…

tezza
March 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM
THAT is indeed a bargin!

Tez

justjunk
March 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
awesome find. i passed up one of those in a local thrift store many years ago and have regretted it ever since. congratulations.

cosam
March 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Great find! It's definitely worth a lot more than 15 notes, even if it doesn't work. If that turns out to be the case, you've found the right place to get assistance fixing it too - just have a skim over the latest page of threads and you'll see what I mean.

The printer looks like a 2022 to me. See if you can get the seller to dig up the cable though. I was looking for one lately and found out they generally fetch (considerably) more than that entire system cost you.

Other than he prefers collection it all seems ok.
I'd be more concerned if they seller didn't offer collection as an option. Picking it up is also good for the buyer if at all practical. Shipping will be pricey and there's less risk of it being damaged in transit.

Olds-kool gamer
March 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'd be more concerned if they seller didn't offer collection as an option. Picking it up is also good for the buyer if at all practical. Shipping will be pricey and there's less risk of it being damaged in transit.

I shudder to think what that lot would cost to post.

So yes collection would be preferable. If you live close enough to collect. Driving a few hundred miles to pick it up ain’t going to be cheap. ..

Terry Yager
March 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Collection is also much safer if you're anywhere within range, you don't have to trust it to someone else. While you're there, he might even have other old junk that he'll let ya haul off for free.

--T

chuckcmagee
March 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The PET by itself is in the 150 $US range, depending how badly someone wants it, of course.

You will likely find that, if it boots up properly, that a lot of the keys don't work or get worse and worse as you try and use them. My PET is still waiting for me to get out the screwdriver and take the entire keyboard apart (groan).

Being in the UK, you might get some US bites but as expected, most US people will not even consider shipping from the UK. Especially now with wondering if you will have a job in the next week.

carlsson
March 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, a nice haul. I believe somewhere around £50 would have been a fair price, one not inflated by crazy bidding. Chuck's figure of $150 sounds astronomous by my standards, but perhaps PETs over in the USA do fetch 2-3 times as much as they do in Europe?

chuckcmagee
March 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hmm, Chuck is used to a pound vs. dollar of 1 to 2.

I see it is currently 1 Pound Sterling = 1.41723 US Dollars.

Which is down a bunch from my 1 to 2 ratio. Chuckle, time to go on vacation in the UK?? Nah, probably still foggy and cold there.

It does seem that good condition CBM guys go for around the $150 point. We haven't heard yet if the "score" one even works.

Luzur
March 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zdygjs.jpg

i bought one of those too along with a printer,discdrive, manuals and other papers and original box for about 34 pounds (400 SEK with the shipping included)

grarap
March 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Well I picked the comp up this morning (I'm eager), and the deal was all kosher.

The computer originally wouldn't boot, but I've fixed that problem. I found that some of the little smoothing capacitors on the 12v bus on the PCB were failing short circuit. This led to the heatsink warming rapidly and nothing appearing on the screen. I removed the offending capacitors but I don't have any suitable replacements. Hopefully the others will hold up. Keys all seem to be fine.

No idea about the printer. There's no cable, but I presume it doesnt work.

I underestimated how huge this thing is. I actually have no space for it anywhere in my house! I may fiddle around with it for a while and then sell it on eBay before prices crash and/or the computer goes into meltdown.

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Well I picked the comp up this morning (I'm eager), and the deal was all kosher.

The computer originally wouldn't boot, but I've fixed that problem. I found that some of the little smoothing capacitors on the 12v bus on the PCB were failing short circuit. This led to the heatsink warming rapidly and nothing appearing on the screen. I removed the offending capacitors but I don't have any suitable replacements. Hopefully the others will hold up. Keys all seem to be fine.

No idea about the printer. There's no cable, but I presume it doesnt work.

I underestimated how huge this thing is. I actually have no space for it anywhere in my house! I may fiddle around with it for a while and then sell it on eBay before prices crash and/or the computer goes into meltdown.

Thanks for letting us know.

So I guess it was worth it. If you do decide to sell it I hope you get something for your troubles.

Iíve only seen one of these in over 10 years of Car booting and I was put off because of its size. Somethingís I can "sneak in" but these are a little too big to quickly stick under the bed or behind a closet.:mrgreen:

carlsson
March 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM
The boxes I've used to ship PETs are 50x50x55 cm, and it is pretty much the size of the actual unit too with only a few centimeter to spare. I'm afraid printers are worth zero to most collectors, despite being 30+ years old and quite incommon. Perhaps we'll regret this in 10-20 years to come but right now I find old matrix printers just a waste of space even if they're original branded.

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
The boxes I've used to ship PETs are 50x50x55 cm, and it is pretty much the size of the actual unit too with only a few centimeter to spare. I'm afraid printers are worth zero to most collectors, despite being 30+ years old and quite incommon. Perhaps we'll regret this in 10-20 years to come but right now I find old matrix printers just a waste of space even if they're original branded.

Very trueÖ

I had an original Commodore printer a few years ago, tried to sell it no Joy tried to give it away still no joy so I think I took it to the dump, it was boxed too! . Not sure if Iíd do that these days but printers are just too bulky.

carlsson
March 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
On last year's Retro Gathering (http://www.retrogathering.se) we had an auction of vintage items. One person had brought a PET 4023 printer with TWO IEEE-488 cables. His starting bid was 10 SEK, less than £1. Perhaps it was the wrong forum for vintage PET stuff but he only managed to get one - quite reluctant even - bidder.

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
On last year's Retro Gathering (http://www.retrogathering.se) we had an auction of vintage items. One person had brought a PET 4023 printer with TWO IEEE-488 cables. His starting bid was 10 SEK, less than £1. Perhaps it was the wrong forum for vintage PET stuff but he only managed to get one - quite reluctant even - bidder.

It’s quite sad really as you said they might become quite desirable in the future.

I guess when postage costs a lot more then the items worth, I think it’s the universe’s way of telling you something.

That said some brands do well I’ve seen some early Atari 8-bit printers go for a reasonable price by no means a fortune but still more then the postage costs and I’ve seen some Sinclair printers do well.

I guess no one wants the larger ones.

MikeS
March 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I think part of the shipping thing is psychological; often someone will gladly pay $25 + $5 S&H for an item, but not $5 +$25 S&H for the same thing...

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I think part of the shipping thing is psychological; often someone will gladly pay $25 + $5 S&H for an item, but not $5 +$25 S&H for the same thing...

Thatís trueÖ

Personally I refuse to pay over the odds for shipping.

I do a little bit of Ebaying and I charge a little on top for packaging used no more.
I personally would rather pay a high starting price and reasonable shipping than the other way round.

carlsson
March 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well, if the actual shipping expense is $25, I think it is strange if you're not allow to charge that. I've heard eBay these days is imposing fixed rates, they know better than you what things supposedly weigh and what your postage rates are. I suppose it will lead to people adding reserve prices or simply raising the starting bid to compensate for actual shipping fees + extra eBay/PayPal fees. On the other hand, I do understand why they make these changes as people have been abusing the system to avoid fees.

As to the auction I mentioned, it was a live, "physical" auction, not online. The sellers and buyers were in the same room so no shipping costs except that the buyer needed a way to transport home whatever he/she bought.

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well, if the actual shipping expense is $25, I think it is strange if you're not allow to charge that. I've heard eBay these days is imposing fixed rates, they know better than you what things supposedly weigh and what your postage rates are. I suppose it will lead to people adding reserve prices or simply raising the starting bid to compensate for actual shipping fees + extra eBay/PayPal fees. On the other hand, I do understand why they make these changes as people have been abusing the system to avoid fees.

As to the auction I mentioned, it was a live, "physical" auction, not online. The sellers and buyers were in the same room so no shipping costs except that the buyer needed a way to transport home whatever he/she bought.

Of course if the actual shipping is $25 or $100 or $1,000, I have no problem with that.

What I canít accept is when something is obliviously $5 and the seller is charging $25 like you said to avoid paying the Auction fees. If you use Ebay long enough and you post items out for long enough, you start to know what things "actually cost to post" I donít mind paying a bit on top for packaging but some people take the P**S and as such I for one wont bid on their items.

barythrin
March 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
What was interesting to me (I'm not a Commodore expert, I just know the more common systems) but I never heard of the 3000 series (3032) until I saw that auction. According to wikipedia the 3000 would have had the chiclet keyboard originally too?

The price of PETs are so odd lol, on auction sites they're worth a bunch but find one at someones house and it ends up being difficult to sell or give away (an 8032 for example).

Luzur
March 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
then hurry and stock some up now cuz a few years from now they will prob be worth their weight in gold ;)

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
then hurry and stock some up now cuz a few years from now they will prob be worth their weight in gold ;)

Thatís the funny thing about retro computers the prices can fluctuate wildly.

I remember going onto Ebay about 10 years ago and take the ZX Spectrum for example at the time there where going for top prices.
The ZX80 was achieving prices from £400-£600.

Thatís all changed now unless the Spectrum is boxed and absolutely mint the prices are much more modest. I regularly see ZX80ís top out around the £250-300 mark.

With Ebay itís all about timing and luck.

grarap
March 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Just noticed your location olds-kool. Nice to meet a fellow Hertforshirian online! Perhaps we can trade

carlsson
March 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
According to wikipedia the 3000 would have had the chiclet keyboard originally too?
No. First there was the PET 2001 with chicklet keyboard. Then Commodore made a version with full sized keyboard called PET 2001N. These machines were renamed in some (all?) markets as PET/CBM 3000 series: 3008, 3016, 3032. Later on came the 4000 series, which I think apart from different ROMs supports lower case and had an optional business keyboard.

So a 3032 should pretty much be the same as a 32K 2001N, like Tezza's PET that read 3032 on the front and 2001N on the back if I recall correctly. It appers the 3000 series is very uncommon in the USA, perhaps they mostly kept selling them as 2001 until the 4000 series came. Within my own findings, I've found more 3032's than I've found machines labeled 2001 or 4032 so relatively speaking I find at least the 3032 one of the most common PET/CBM models. Go figure how an ocean can make all the difference. :-D

tezza
March 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
So a 3032 should pretty much be the same as a 32K 2001N, like Tezza's PET that read 3032 on the front and 2001N on the back if I recall correctly. It appers the 3000 series is very uncommon in the USA, perhaps they mostly kept selling them as 2001 until the 4000 series came. Within my own findings, I've found more 3032's than I've found machines labeled 2001 or 4032 so relatively speaking I find at least the 3032 one of the most common PET/CBM models. Go figure how an ocean can make all the difference. :-D

Yes, I remember reading somewhere that the label "PET" was being used by a Dutch firm for something computer related so to avoid a trademark argument (or maybe just confusion) Commodore re-badged the PET 2001N line as CBM 30xx in Europe. In New Zealand here, we probably sourced the few PETs that arrived here from a factory making the machines for Europe, given that we share the same AC voltage specs.

Tez

Olds-kool gamer
March 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Just noticed your location olds-kool. Nice to meet a fellow Hertforshirian online! Perhaps we can trade

Hi grarap,

Likewise...

I'm always up for trade or two. :)

MikeS
March 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Yes, I remember reading somewhere that the label "PET" was being used by a Dutch firm for something computer related so to avoid a trademark argument (or maybe just confusion) Commodore re-badged the PET 2001N line as CBM 30xx in Europe. In New Zealand here, we probably sourced the few PETs that arrived here from a factory making the machines for Europe, given that we share the same AC voltage specs.

Tez
I thought that the 2001N was the DRAM version of the 2001? Did that and the keyboard go together?

And speaking of unforeseen problems with foreign countries and languages, of course we all know why the VIC-20 was called the VC Volkscomputer in Germany...

Terry Yager
March 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
And speaking of unforeseen problems with foreign countries and languages, of course we all know why the VIC-20 was called the VC Volkscomputer in Germany...

What da fick?

--T

Terry Yager
March 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM

I tend toward a more pragmatic approach. I don't mind paying ridiculous shipping for an item that is grossly underpriced. If I had to pay $25 for shipping a $5.00 LX-200, I wouldn't hesitate, since the total is reasonable.

--T

carlsson
March 31st, 2009, 04:11 AM
I thought that the 2001N was the DRAM version of the 2001? Did that and the keyboard go together?
Hm, I really don't know but I would assume so. Otherwise there would be at least three different kinds of PET 2001, as well as memory configurations and ROM versions.

Whether there was a naming conflict or not, at least here in Sweden the computers seem to have been called PET through the whole life cycle. Actually Datatronic appears to have relabeled both the SK models and the full-height CBM-II models into PET model names, unlike Commodore themselves did internationally.