PDA

View Full Version : help with commodore monitor...please

aaronfire
March 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hello again:

I have been trying to connect a commodore vic 20 and a commodore 64 up to a commodore 1802 monitor. (one at a time of course)...

i get a signal from the 64, however it is in black and white, i get no signal through the vic 20 at all. i bought the cables for this on ebay, the white and yellow, and still have no luck, when i tested the monitor with a n64 the color was perfect....

any help with this would be appreated....
thanks and regards: Aaron...

Unknown_K
March 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The 1802 has 3 RCA inputs Chroma, Luma, Audio (mono). The C64 cables use all 3 and should work fine, no idea what the Vic20 uses since I never had one.

Chroma and Luma are the components of a Svideo output, I think chroma is the color portion so that is where you should connect the video in. If you connect video to just luma you get a B&W image I think.

Donni
March 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have a 1801 monitor that only gave a B&W picture when i bought it.
It turned out to be a bad trimmer-capacitor near a crystal.
I don't know if a 1802 monitor has the same circuitry, but you can check.
However if you don't have any experience in repairing electronics, I can't recommend poking around in a computer monitor.
There are several points with dangerous voltage on it, so watch out!

cosam
March 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Which cable do you have and do you know how it's wired? What you describe sounds like what happens when you plug a composite source into a luminance input or vice versa.

Vint
March 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hello again:

I have been trying to connect a commodore vic 20 and a commodore 64 up to a commodore 1802 monitor. (one at a time of course)...

i get a signal from the 64, however it is in black and white, i get no signal through the vic 20 at all. i bought the cables for this on ebay, the white and yellow, and still have no luck, when i tested the monitor with a n64 the color was perfect....

any help with this would be appreated....
thanks and regards: Aaron...

I'll take a stab at this question - although without more info I may be way off base.
You say you bought the cables off eBay , and that triggered a problem I had with cables bought off eBay. Now I'm sure this isn't the same cable as you have, since it lacks the yellow, but Look here -

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=188

I just assumed the red would be audio . . . not so with my eBay bought cables. Note I have now labeled them, red = video & white = audio.
Perhaps your cables are likewise color coded oddly. You have chroma, luma, and audio - but which color is which might be your problem.
I always thought yellow = video & red & white were audio, like for a game console hookup.
Apparently that isn't as universal as I thought.
If just switching these around cures your problem then great.
If it doesn't pertain to your situation then at least this information may help someone else with the problem like I had with eBay bought cables and their respective color codes :)