PDA

View Full Version : Cromemco 64FDC controlling 5.25" 1.2MB diskette drives

amouse
March 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
After some polite reminders from Mike Stein that my progress in connecting my CDOS / Cromix Cromemco Z2 system was taking ages I have finally got down to it and got it working.

I have been very busy Mike honest!

It is all blogged here (http://majzel.blogspot.com/2009/03/cromemco-z2-now-using-525-hd-diskettes.html) so other prospective Cromemco users wishing to do the same should have an easy time if you just follow my instructions.

http://majzel.blogspot.com/2009/03/cromemco-z2-now-using-525-hd-diskettes.html

regards marcus b.

MikeS
March 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
And about time I say!

You won't miss those 8" disks and drives at all except when you absolutely have to copy to/from one.

But I have to ask: why the extra trouble of the wire to the drive and the pin, etc.? Wouldn't it have been easier and more convenient to just go across from J3-50 to J2-34 as in the picture I sent you? Easier to do with the board in front of you, more secure, no extra wires dangling, also easy drive replacement if necessary, no? Am I missing something?

Have fun!

amouse
March 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM
Yikes!

Of course that would be better. I must confess to not remember having receiving such a picture but clearly a board to board modification would be better.

Plus I would not need that sewing needle kludge!

Okay, I go to this more optimal design presently and report back :eek:

amouse
March 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Mike,

OK blog suitably updated. Wires connected on the 64FDCboard only. All still well with the 1.2MB 5.25 inch drive.

Next step is to take a HD diskette created in such a drive and see if they can be read in a PC XT with PCalien.exe

MikeS
March 31st, 2009, 02:18 PM
A good question. Obviously this only solves the 8" drive and media availability/reliability issues, and reading and writing on a PC will have the same issues as a "real" 8" drive. Standard SS/SD CP/M format works PC>Cromemco; the question of whether it would work with a disk formatted on the Cromemco, or whether any other formats (esp. DS) will work, and which software is best (PC-Alien, 22Disk, Uniform...) awaits your diligent investigation ;-)

More research is needed.

Marty
July 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi All;
I have a pair of controllers , the 64 fdc, and a set of 8" floppy drives for them, they are out in the Shed, collecting Dust.... I don't know if either the controllers work or if the drive are in working order.....
I have always made the assumption that since they were Cromemco that they would not work in my Altair.... But, I have not checked it out...
THANK YOU Marty

MikeS
July 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hi All;
I have a pair of controllers , the 64 fdc, and a set of 8" floppy drives for them, they are out in the Shed, collecting Dust.... I don't know if either the controllers work or if the drive are in working order.....
I have always made the assumption that since they were Cromemco that they would not work in my Altair.... But, I have not checked it out...
THANK YOU Marty
Well, it could be a fun project; the FDC is just a bunch of registers after all ;-)
The RS-232 port, the bank switching and the on-board monitor would just add to the fun!
And of course they do drive both 5 1/4 or 8" drives (or 8" emulated on 5 1/4HD or 3.5") and also a tape drive just as a bonus.

Marty
July 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi All;
I was AMISS about what I had, after digging it out I found I had a 16fdc not a 64fdc...
I am wondering which of the following would be the easiest for me to get working on my Altair 8800 with 8080..... I am not good with software and not much better with hardware.
cromeco 16fdc,
cromeco wdi-ii ( hard disk)
miniscribe 1002 (hard disk)
compupro Disk1 (171D) it has no ic's on it , I think I have most of them except the programmed 2716...
suntronics floppy controller both 8 " and 5 1/4 " worked with z-80 sbc 880 system
tarbell mdl 1011D ( I think bad 1771)
Alpha mico floppy comtroller ( I think bad 1771)
Alpha micro hard disk controller for 'Hawk' 10 meg drive. I have drive, big sucker..
north star micro disk mdc a4 unknown if it works, is missing some parts including a prom , I have all but the prom.
north star micro disk mds ad
THANK YOU Marty

MikeS
July 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
The 16FD would make an equally fun project...;-)
The WDI-II is only compatible with IMI drives (11MB 8", 5 & 20MB 5")
AFAIK Rich Cini is using a Compupro in his IMSAI; maybe he can supply a dump of the EPROM for yours.

Marty
July 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hi;
The Compupro Disk1 would be a fine board to use from looking at it , it looks like I have Most of the ic's --
What I am missing or not sure if I have is --
4136 Do not know what this is , Could it be an 8136 under a different brand
9602 what I have are bad, so I would need some new ones.
25ls2521 I don't think I have any of these either.
and of course the program for the eprom.... other than that It looks like a Go.
THANK YOU Mike :p :p :p
Thank You Marty

Marty
July 27th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hi all;
I have all of the parts, can't say that any are good , not to say that all are good. But I have something in all of the sockets !!!!! :D :D :D
THANK YOU Marty