View Full Version : Fixing the Economy

Lorne
April 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
"How Would You Fix the Economy?"

I like this idea !

Patriotic Retirement:

There's about 40 million people over 50 in the work force;
pay them $1 million apiece severance with three stipulations:

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage- Housing Crisis fixed.

= All National financial problems fixed

chuckcmagee
April 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
4) Get money back from AIG to pay 25,000 of the above.

Druid6900
April 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ever see the movie Soylent Green? :)

hexsane
April 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM

"It's People!"

ROFLMAO

-Matt

Unknown_K
April 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Give somebody over 50 $1M and they will buy a BMW. Besides 40,000,000 x 1,000,000 is way too many zeros of money we don't have to give let alone give it to people WITH jobs!

Might as well just give me all the money in the world and let me figure out a way to spend it. ;)

The economy will fix when people in the US have jobs making something usefull out of natural resources that can be sold for a profit. Currently we are slaves to wallstreet, people who make tons of cash doing NOTHING of any importance.

Terry Yager
April 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Eat the bankers!!!

--T

Terry Yager
April 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Declare a world-wide debt amnesty. Every bit of debt erased, everybody, every nation, all start clean with whatever cash they have in their pocket. Nobody owes anybody anything. Debt crisis solved. Everybody is ready to start loaning/borrowing all over again (minus the few who have learned a lesson from all this).

Neither a borrower nor a lender be. -- Poor Richard's Almanac

--T

gerrydoire
April 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Stop lending $250,000 to people working at McDonald's who want a new home?

Unknown_K
April 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Stop lending $250,000 to people working at McDonald's who want a new home?

Considering that is what all the jobs are going to be soon, who else is going to buy your house?

I am 40 years old and recall when people had to pay cash or use layaway to buy anything. Over the years people just could not afford the things we have and use today, so banks had to start giving out major amounts of credit or the economy falls apart. In the late 1980's everybody in college was offered a free mastercard or Visa to get us hooked on easy credit. Over the years credit standards have been lowered, limits have been going up, peoples pay has been going down, and loan periods have been getting longer and longer. it used to be you needed 20% down on a 15 year house loan, and you needed to have a down payment on a 3 year max car loan. These days you can get 45 year house loans (paying well into retirement?) with 0 down and 6 year car loans interest free (interest is just built into the cost of the car). All this to get people into "affordable" perpetual payments so items sell. When you cut off credit (bubble finally burst) you are back to the issue of people not having the cash to buy much of anything, and years of debt payments to look forward to while at the same time the decent paying jobs are gone while fixed costs (homes, food, medical, transport, energy) have kept going up and up.

There is no easy way to get the old economy back untill we pay off out debt (national and private) and start producing goods and not just resell for 5% over cost somebody elses crap. basically we need to tell Wallstreet/FED to go suck an egg and get back to using local comunity banks for savings and loans. Basically we are screwed for generations, get used to owing more on your house then you can ever hope to sell it for while having to still make the payments. Oh and you are one small illness away from bankruptcy.

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
So it is with the myth of the middle class. Give some of the people the illusion that they are better off than the wage slaves at the bottom of the heap by making them slaves to their debt.

I'm with U_K here. For most of my life, I thought that I'd never buy anything on credit or be in debt. If I wanted sum'n badly enough, I'd save up for it. A few years ago, even I fell prey to the lure of easy credit. I now owe more than I'll ever live long enough to pay back, so I guess I win and the bankers lose, right? Bwahahahaha!

--T

Erik
April 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM
The end.

Sorry y'all. . .