PDA

View Full Version : DOS Networking

lutiana
April 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
So I have a old gateway (PIII-400 w/ 256mb ram) and I am running DOS 6.22 on it.

I spent the weekend tinkering with it and got my 3COM 3C905-TX PCI nick running on DOS w/ the TCP/IP protocol. It works great, I can ping out and ping into the machine. I also have full DNS name resolution

There are, however, issues I am having:

1. It is unable to map a share on my Windows 2003 Server nor authenticate on my Windows 2003 domain.

2. With the patch that adds the server service I am unable to view or use the share that I have setup on it via any XP, Vista, 2003 or even Windows 95 box. The error that comes up says something along the lines of "Request not Supported. Access Denied"

3. It does not work with any app that uses WATTCP (at least non I have come across yet).

Any ideas?

neutrino78x
April 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
to get wattcp to work you have to make a wattcp.cfg file that looks like this

my_ip=(your ip)
domainslist=localdomain #domanlist and hostname are used by some Wattcp
hostname=localhost #applications use local if stand alone PC
netmask=0.0.0.0 #I leave netmask set to default 0.0.0.0
nameserver=193.38.113.3 #ISP primary Domain Name Server given by your ISP
nameserver=194.117.157.4 #ISP secondary Domain Name Server
socketdelay=45 #Increase delay for bad/slow connections

So, in your case, you could probably leave most of the numbers the same and just change the my_ip every time (unless you have a static IP? then you would leave my_ip the same). Lsppp is a packet driver that will make a batchfile to set these numbers as environment variables. If yours doesn't do that, you will have to change the IP manually.

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/technote/158.html

--Brian

neutrino78x
April 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
btw usually you also have to set an environment variable WATTCP.CFG=(where your wattcp.cfg file is)

http://www.dossolutions.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/batch.htm

lutiana
April 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Okay, so here is my result so far with mTCP and WATTCP.

I have found the latest packet driver for my 3c905-TX card. It detects the card just fine and reports my link speed (100mbit) and the MAC address.

I have a set WATTCP.CFG= and a set mTCPcfg= statement in my autoexec.bat and I have the 2 files setup right.

Using the WATTCP apps I found here: http://cd.textfiles.com/itools/MSDOS/WATTCP/ I am able to use TCPinfo.exe and it returns the settings that are correct.
Everything appears to work fine up to this point.

I cannot ping out (using the ping.exe utility), or in. When I run mbrutman's dnstest the system freezes and needs a soft reset. Same thing happens when I try to ping by name with the ping.exe app.

mB's ftp client gets to the point where is says connected and spits out a file and buffer size, then the system starts beeping and freezes. Another soft reset.

I know this is not a hardware issue as the MS networking stuff works flawlessly. I have tried 2 different versions of the packet driver for this card (version 2.0c and 5.5.6) and both have the same results.

Any ideas?

lutiana
April 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Another update is that I did a clean boot (hit f5 at startup and bi-passed both the config.sys and autoexec.bat) and manually set the WATTCP and mTCP enviromental variables.

I then loaded the packet driver and proceded to try and ping something, this froze the system.

I rebooted via the same procedure above and this time I tried mb's FTP utility and it came to the same thing, the system froze.

I don't know what the issue is, and I am out of ideas on how to find it.

Ole Juul
April 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
It looks like you're almost there. I don't think a misconfigured wattcp.cfg could cause a freeze but I've included mine below just in case it can give you any inspiration. A memory problem comes to mind, but you're using jemmex the same as me, so the ping should work at least. Hmm, how about the packet driver? Just because it returns some info may not mean that all is well. Could you find another driver and try that? I've got one that might be different - let me know.

WATTCP.CFG

my_ip = 192.168.1.109
netmask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1
nameserver = 64.141.73.187
nameserver = 64.251.68.9
nameserver = 10.30.1.1
domailslist = nethop.net
hostname = ANA
sockdelay = 15
inactive= 2000
mss = 1460
mtu = 1500

StickByDos
April 11th, 2009, 02:04 AM
1. It is unable to map a share on my Windows 2003 Server nor authenticate on my Windows 2003 domain.

2. With the patch that adds the server service I am unable to view or use the share that I have setup on it via any XP, Vista, 2003 or even Windows 95 box. The error that comes up says something along the lines of "Request not Supported. Access Denied"

I remember I managed do do this on win2000pro, I think it's because MS-Client doesn't support encrypted password

IIRC, for this 2 cases :

1. you need an account without password on your win* computer with the name as your MS-Client login

2. you need to enable guest account on your win* computer

BTW, I made all these experiments after discovering it, working out of the box with an oem Fujitsu-Siemens XPpro

MS-Client transfer is much faster than EZnos ftp but it crash too often

lutiana
April 11th, 2009, 02:34 AM
A memory problem comes to mind, but you're using jemmex the same as me, so the ping should work at least.

Yes, this did occur to me since Jemmex was crashing at some points, hence the f5 bare boot. I will run MemTest86+ on this machine over night to make sure.

Hmm, how about the packet driver? Just because it returns some info may not mean that all is well. Could you find another driver and try that? I've got one that might be different - let me know.

There are at least 2 or 3 on 3Com's website. I tried them all. There is also one from CRYNWR that I tried. All with the same issue.

I think the issue is the packet driver, it is causing some sort of memory issue whenever it is used.

My WATTCP.CFG is pretty much the same as yours, so I don't think the problem is there. This also happens with mTCP.

1. you need an account without password on your win* computer with the name as your MS-Client login

2. you need to enable guest account on your win* computer

I will try these. I never thought about it, but now that you mention it it makes perfect sense.

mbbrutman
April 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM
If WATTCP and mTCP are giving you the same flakey results, then it is probably something wrong with the packet driver and not the code.

When you use mTCP, are you using the DHCP client first or are you configuring everything in the config file by hand? I'm going to bet that you configured by hand, which is fine and would not be causing this problem.

The problem with both WATTCP and mTCP is probably when you receive the first incoming packet. Something is not right between the code and the packet driver, and either memory is getting corrupted or the code is making a wild branch. (Hence the freezing and lockups.)

The packet driver spec is pretty well written. I've used packet drivers with the Xircom PE3-10BT, an NE2000 clone, a real NE1000, a 3Com 3C503, and several Western Digital 8003 variants. The Xircom gave me the most trouble because it didn't follow the spec perfectly, but the packet driver author (Russ Nelson) explained the problem to me and I was able to work around it in a way that keeps compatibility with any other packet driver. Other people have used packet drivers from Intel and other companies. Yours is the first report I'm hearing about crashing and locking up.

I'm going to check the spec again to see if there is something extra for 100MBit cards that I'm missing.

One thing you can help me with - set the following two environment variables:

set debugging=255
set logfile=tcp.log

Then run any of my mTCP apps. Your machine will probably crash again, but you will hopefully have a trace in tcp.log that will help me debug it. Send the tracefile to mbbrutman@yahoo.com .

Thanks,
Mike

mbbrutman
April 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Here is another data point for you ...

Search for the following on Google: 3C905-TX "packet driver" gateway

There are a lot of machines that the 3C905-TX doesn't work well with. Your particular Gateway machine might not be called out by name, but any time I see a card with this many incompatibilities I have to wonder what is going on.

The Microsoft code is not using the packet driver, right? If that is true, then I suspect that the packet driver is broken.

Try an older 10MB/sec ISA card. Those are going to be a lot more stable because they are older and the ISA interface is far simpler than the PCI interface.

lutiana
April 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I suspect the packet driver aswell. I don't have an option to use an ISA card, as it is a PCI only machine.

I did run a memory test on the system and the system froze at 10%, so that seems to indicate hardware issues there. I will investigate this a bit further later.

Thanks for the responses.

lutiana
April 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM
set debugging=255
set logfile=tcp.log

Then run any of my mTCP apps. Your machine will probably crash again, but you will hopefully have a trace in tcp.log that will help me debug it.

I did this, it generated a 4.7mb log file. I will send it to you as soon as I can.

The Microsoft code is not using the packet driver, right? If that is true, then I suspect that the packet driver is broken.

Yes the MS stuff uses the NDIS driver.

Try an older 10MB/sec ISA card. Those are going to be a lot more stable because they are older and the ISA interface is far simpler than the PCI interface.

As I said before I don't have an ISA slot in the machine. I do, however, have an entire bag of PCI NICs. I will see which have packet drivers for DOS and do some experimenting.

Ole Juul
April 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I have never tried a pci NIC in DOS. I wonder if someone knows if that is even doable.

lutiana
April 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have never tried a pci NIC in DOS. I wonder if someone knows if that is even doable.

It seems to be. Its all about the damned packet driver. I found an Intel PRO/100 nic and using the packer driver from www.crynwr.com I am able to get it to connect with MB's ftp and the WATTCP FTP app I have.

The system still freezes after about 1 or 2 commands sent, but I am going to see what the options are in the packer driver and perhaps I can overcome this.

mbbrutman
April 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
And that sounds like bad hardware - perhaps the memory problem you suspect you have?

lutiana
April 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I will continue to mess with it.

It looks like the only app that freezes is Mike's FTP, the other FTP I have works fine. I want to test the other mTCP app, whats a good IRC server to use with IRCjr?

mbbrutman
April 13th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Send me the trace ... on the FTP freeze. I really doubt it is my FTP code but I'm willing to help you be sure and to figure out what is going wrong.

As for IRCjr, you can use any IRC server you want. I've tested with all of the major IRC server programs out there on networks like freenode & gimp.

Mike

lutiana
April 13th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I will set the debug and log variables tonight and get the trace file to you.

Basically when I bring up your FTP app it connects just fine, and as soon as I run any command (I hit DIR) it freezes after it says the command was successful. I thought perhaps I was being too impatient and decided to wait, I left for at least 5 minutes and no change was observed.

I used the WATTCP ftp and it seems to work just fine. When I exit it, the program seems to freeze, but with a little patience and about 30 or 45 seconds it ended the program and dropped me back to the prompt. Transfers seemed a bit on the sluggish side though at about 8k/s.

I will need to get my hands on some more TCP/IP dos apps and play with them to work out if its only your FTP app that's giving me trouble or other things (ie the packet driver).

The IRCjr seemed to run fine, but was unable to connect to either of the 2 IRC servers (EFNet and DALnet) I tried, but it was late and I went to bed at that point.

I will try again tonight, and see what I can come up with.