PDA

View Full Version : OS on PCMCIA device.

JT64
April 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I have an old Compaq DX100 i just bought a CF to PCMCIA adapter for 10 euro.
I can not imagine the BIOS to support boot from PCMCIA HDD *if there is such* and even more impossible to boot from the CF over pcmcia.

Is there anychance to use a bootloader that could recognize the CF so i could boot a OS on it?
(How about syslinux is the dos PCMCIA drivers resident when linux boots? Or does syslinux throwout the dos OS?)

Probably will have to use a CF to ide adapter, but it would be handy to change OS by changing CF in the PCMCIA adapter.

JT

NathanAllan
April 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I think that you can redirect the boot to the PCMCIA from the hdd, if I remember correctly. There ought to be a batch file for something like that.

aSaSSinoooo
April 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have an old Compaq DX100 i just bought a CF to PCMCIA adapter for 10 euro.
I can not imagine the BIOS to support boot from PCMCIA HDD *if there is such* and even more impossible to boot from the CF over pcmcia.

There is another solution, but I don't know if it may interest you: connect the compact flash card to the ide channel using a cheap CF to IDE adapter and it will be recognized like a normal hard disk with C/H/S, boot from it and so on... I use this method to install OSes in old machine like 386, and boot is really very very FAST!!!!!!!!!! (but write access is slowest than hard disk).

Hope this info will be useful

See you!

NeXT
April 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I know my older Thinkpad 380D and 380XD have the option of booting from a PCMCIA slot so that option was out there at one time.

Terry Yager
April 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yes, I have/had a number of laptops with that setup option. I even have some nearly-vintage tablets whose only drive(s) are PCMCIA. Don't know if it can be done on other machines without a BIOS re-roll.

--T