PDA

View Full Version : Dell 486D/50 IDE woes

Gwb
April 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hello all. I would like to start out by saying I am not just signing up to ask a question. I recently came across the website and I look forward to being part of the vintage computing community.

I pulled out an older system a few days in hopes of playing some older DOS games I've acquired. The system has one IDE slot for hard drives and a slot for floppies. It has a built in hard drive controller. When the system worked, the CDROM (set as slave) and the hard drive (unidentifiable jumper setting) were on the same cable and worked fine. The CDROM could read CDs and the hard drive booted into Windows 95.

I burned a CDR of DOS games and as I expected, the drive could not read CDRs. Not a problem I thought. I exchanged the CDROM drive (set as slave) with another newer unit, not changing any other setting. The computer will boot into Win95 and will show the CDROM drive in "My Computer" as D: but will only give me the "D: is not accessible" message with or without a disc in the drive.

I have tried booting into safe mode and removing the drive. I have tried using several different IDE cables. I have tried several CDROM drives.

The drive will show up in Device Manager and Windows says it is working properly with a good driver.

I am good with computers but this one is really throwing me off.
Thanks in advance
-Ferris

Unknown_K
April 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Did you go into the computer BIOS and set the IDE drives as auto detect? Change the jumper on the new cdrom to either CS (cable select) or SL (slave).

Insert a pressed (silver) cd and see if Win95 can read it.

Make sure the cable is inserted all the way into the cdrom. Make sure the cable is in correctly, there is a notch on the driver and should be one on the cable as well (red line on the cable is pin 1).

Gwb
April 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I just tried a Win98 Upgrade CD and it works. I feel like an idiot for not trying other media. Thank you!

-Ferris

chuckcmagee
April 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I do that often also. Get totally over focused on the problem. Someone says "You try this?" "Uh, no, I didn't think of that, thanks".