PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Response

lutiana
April 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
So I put a message on craigslist that I was looking for old computers and I specified Pre-1995.

Here is one response I got:

If you will send me your number. My neighbor has a very old computer. May be one of the first. Appears to be from 1965 or 1970. Huge Console, weighs about 80 lbs.
Maybe IBM Product, not sure. Send me your number.

This was today, I sent her my number and we will see what comes of it, but my question is what do you guys think it might be?

I realize that her description could be way off (and probably is) but I am curious what would actually match her description.

barythrin
April 9th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Could be a lot of things but I'm certainly eager to find out lol. Could be anything from an old terminal to some old server. I'm curious to know how accurate her description is.

Chuck(G)
April 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Could be a lot of things but I'm certainly eager to find out lol. Could be anything from an old terminal to some old server. I'm curious to know how accurate her description is.

80 lbs doesn't sound that heavy for a vintage console from 1965-70.

Wonder if it's just an old terminal of some sort.

channelmaniac
April 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Or Teletype machine.

lutiana
April 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
The latest email:

My neighbor, John has a very old computer. It is huge weighs about 80 lbs.
But he claims it is new. I tried to explain to him that it may be new but from a year that they over produced. This thing looks like it came from the 65-70 era. Could be latter, but it is enormous.
So maybe you can take a look and give him something for it.

I am going to see about going down there this week to look at it, and work out what it actually is.

Chuck(G)
April 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
"Enormous" seems to be a concept that changes. I picked up a used, maintained Xerox N2825 laser printer a couiple of weeks ago (duplexer and unused maintenance kit) for less than $100. The copy counter shows less than 20,000 prints made on it. Prints at 28 ppm with 200K copies between toner changes and handles 11x17 paper. Supports TCP/IP, NetBEUI and IPX net interfaces as well as the usual serial, parallel and USB.

The seller said that he couldn't sell it because people looked at it and said it was "enormous". For $10, the guy even sold me several reams of 11x17 ledger-sized paper.

In fact, the Xerox unit has a smaller footprint than my old Panasonic KXP-4451 printer. But people used to little desktop inkjet printers think it's huge.

cosam
April 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, the definition of "enormous" changes almost as quickly as that of "old" in this business. I'm usually very careful when it comes to the layman's description of "old" computers. I've heard plenty of folk talk about Pentium PCs like they're something from the neolithic era. To them, a C64 would probably count as "one of the first" computers, purely because that's the sort of machines they were first exposed to.

That said, an 80 lb piece of hardware is likely to be at least moderately interesting, even if it is (as I suspect) a bit later than your contact estimates. It will probably be worth the trip just to satisfy your (and our) curiosity!

lutiana
April 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I am getting the distinct impression from the email chain that her idea of enormous is a bit off. She compared it to her "1999 E-Machine (40lbs)" and said it was 3 or 4 times bigger.

The E-Machines in '99 were no where near 40lbs, and they weren't too big if memory serves. I am also thinking her year is off quite a bit.

Maybe its actually a 5150 or something like it.

I am trying to setup a trip down there on Sunday, so stay tuned.

Vlad
April 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
My first impression was along those lines, a 5150 or something similar although if you overlook the year some of the PS/2's were really heavy. Especially the tower ones with the handle thing.

lutiana
April 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
So I went to pick up this mystery machine. In a phone conversation she had said that it was in fact and apple.

I arrived to find that it is fact and "Enormous" Antec Soho Case with a PIII-550 in it and 256mMb of RAM. It is an Intel server board though, and has an 8gb Ultra Wide SCSI drive in it. Rather dissapointing, but she took $20 for it, I may be able to do something with it.

At least our curiosity has been satisfied.

EDIT: It is not from the 65-70 era, more the 99 - 2001 era, and it does not weigh 80lbs (30lb at the most).

Unknown_K
April 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Post a pic! And yea, most people do not have a clue what era a computer is from or even who made it.

lutiana
April 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Here are some:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FaJ_iyAkv0w/Sev9Hz15xsI/AAAAAAAAABY/o-gFlErYaUU/s512/IMG_0013.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FaJ_iyAkv0w/Sev9IO6MrLI/AAAAAAAAABg/oX-6_Zh9VnA/s512/IMG_0014.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FaJ_iyAkv0w/Sev9I0P2LjI/AAAAAAAAABo/1vtjoe9mHug/s640/IMG_0015.JPG

Chuck(G)
April 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
A P3 in an Antec case. Heck, my Athlon 64 is sitting in the same model case, only black. Well, you get a SCSI card, I guess.

lutiana
April 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Well, you get a SCSI card, I guess.

I know have 3 of these cases, 2 black, one white. But alas to SCSI card, it's on board. Like I said before it is a server board with integrated SCSI.

I do get a nice 9.1gb Quantum 10k SCSI drive though :D

NathanAllan
April 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Is that an ISA slot near the bottome edge of the board? Some fun can be had with that! MFM full height, anyone?

I like bigger cases (as in NOT Micto atx or >18"), lots of room to play around with. I dfind myself compelled to fill it with something.

Nathan

Unknown_K
April 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Nice looking case, so it is an Antec? Somebody on craigslist has that exact same case and wants $20 for it, decent deal then? Basically I want to ditch a cheap aluminum case and just use solid steel constructed ones.

arjoll
April 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
The case looks exactly like one of the "Chieftec (http://www.chieftec.com/)" branded ones sold by Dove Electronics (http://www.dove.co.nz) in NZ a while ago.

We normally only sell HP and Apple, but I sold a custom build P4 in one of those cases to a client for video editing many years ago.

Given the way the market for generic cases is I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least another dozen different 'brands' for the same box :) HP tc series server cases were made by the same company (found the same code numbers etc stamped in them).

BTW apparently Chieftec power supplies are made by "High Power (http://www.highpowersupply.com/)."

Kirbot
April 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Good grief. Somone actually thought that was from 1965? It looks newer than the computer I used every day, until about a year ago.:rolleyes: What a dissapointment.

barythrin
April 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yup, quite a surprise lol but glad you followed up on it.

lutiana
April 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
The case looks exactly like one of the "Chieftec (http://www.chieftec.com/)" branded ones sold by Dove Electronics (http://www.dove.co.nz) in NZ a while ago.

It is an Antec Soho case. This particular design was licenced to quite a few third party companies out there, and as such I have seen what is essentially the same case with quite a few different brand names on it.

Is that an ISA slot near the bottome edge of the board? Some fun can be had with that! MFM full height, anyone?

I like bigger cases (as in NOT Micto atx or >18"), lots of room to play around with. I dfind myself compelled to fill it with something.

Nathan

Yeah, these cases were very popular, and are in very well designed in my opinion. The large amount of space is nice. There are 2 ISA slots on the bottom of the board.

I am truly not sure what I am going to do with this. Perhaps I will offer it up for trade/sale on these forums.

Chuck(G)
April 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
II am truly not sure what I am going to do with this. Perhaps I will offer it up for trade/sale on these forums.

The cases are plentiful (at least in the US) and the weight of the case is going to be a problem when it comes to shipping costs. The mobo is hardly unique, so it's going to be a hard sell.

You might be better off selling it locally or donating it to a charity. Or hang onto it for 50 years, when it will be a rare item. :)

Crawford
April 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Wow. This just confirms my belief that craigslist is populated by people who don't know what they have, but probably want to sell it for the price when new. I've wasted a lot of time trying to buy something only to find out it was not as advertised, the person does not show, is too snooty to sell, or wants way too much for used goods... Caveat Emptor, indeed.

barythrin
April 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, I'm not commonly shopping or buying things but I've had pleasant transactions via craigslist. Given, I'm usually only after something cheap or free and always vintage but once you get to the phone stage of communication folks around here have been reliable. I understand a post not knowing what an item is and think this example may be a bit extreme but I suppose that varies accordingly.