PDA

View Full Version : Windows v1.01--Why no Color?

Rolf
March 3rd, 2005, 06:59 AM
I've got it running but it aint real exciting in shades of gray.
It got told during setup that it was on an IBM CGA card but I guess it didn't register.
DOS has no problem being colorful and my 5153 monitor doesn't object to color either.
Theories/Facts please.

Erik
March 3rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that the software is using the high-res CGA screen which was 640x200x2 colors. The 16 color 320x200 isn't going to cut it.

To get color you probably need EGA or better.

Erik

Rolf
March 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
I respect and appreciate your opinion Erik, but if u r right it sorta throws me. MsWorks 2x, vintage 1989, is running in color in default CGA mode.
80x25. Further thoughts please. Cheers.

Terry Yager
March 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
No, Erik is correct. The CGA standard runs in two modes (mainly): Hi-res, 640x200 in 2 colors, or medium-res, 320x200 in 4 colors, selectable from a pallette of 16 possible colors.
I do believe Windows can be run in 4-color med. res tho, at least Win3.0 can. I'm less than certain about the earlier versions tho. Win3.1 didn't include CGA drivers, but it could be made to work by using the 3.0 CGA drivers. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Windows in color on CGA. (That pretty blue splash-screen comes to mind).

--T

Rolf
March 4th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Terry u r a man of quality. The pretty blue screen is what I am longing for.
I had it with win2 on EGA. But I don't got access to an EGA screen anymore.
I do still have the card but I can't find any driver for it.
Erik please don't think I was casting any aspersions in your direction, I just surmised that if a 1989 MS software could address CGA, then it seemed logical that a 1985 app should do so. Again thanks for the input.

Terry Yager
March 4th, 2005, 07:27 AM
How many shades of gray are you seeing? If you're getting gray-scale at all, then you must already be in 4-color mode, or else you'd only be seeing 2 colors, pure black and pure white. For some reason, the monitor doesn't know it's a color monitor. Have you tried re-installing, in case something went wrong? Mebbe even try some different drivers.

--T

Rolf
March 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Simply, I got Black, White & Gray.
eg: Paint presents B on W Menu Bar & Icons, on a Gray Desktop.
I'm starting to suspect that this Windows is missing a few files/fileparts.
Consider the following:
1)Calendar launches with the message "cannot create change file" but does complete it's boot.
2)Cardfile launches with "cannot create temp file" but also completes.
3)Paint launches it's screen with "not enough disk space to run paint" and after "OK" shuts down. This despite Windows being aware of 357K of Conventional Memory Free and 17.5MB of Disk Space!
4)Write doesn't even launch. It just presents with "cannot run write, unable to create temp file".

This Win came to to me as a zipfile. Further thoughts please.

[/quote]

Terry Yager
March 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, it sure sounds like ya got a bad install there. Try reinstalling, and if still not working, d/l the zipfile again and start over. I'll check my bookmarks too, I know there's someplace on daNet to d/l early versions of Win.

--T