PDA

View Full Version : Final question AC Adapter for my Contura 430c

JT64
April 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I finally got an HP/Compaq AC adapter for my Contura 430c that *maybe* (18.5 should be 16.5 volt) will work, unfortunatly the HP/Compaq AC i got do not use the same dimension of the contact as the contura, but i think i can buy or solder adapter.

Do all Compaq and HP models use same polarity, what will happen if polarity is wrong?

JT

modem7
April 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What will happen if polarity is wrong?
In some cases, damage can result. And so it is important that you get it right.

The following web page indicates that the center contact in the 'Contura 430 C' is the positive one:
http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/doc63/63880.htm

To gain confidence that you have wired correctly, check your work with a multimeter. I would.

JT64
April 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ok yesterday i finally soldered the contact, there seem to be *no problem* running the contura 430c with a 18.5 volt adapter (should be 16 volt) it do not get hot.

But you never know in the long run, if it is healthy for the machine. I guess, i have to wait and see. Maybe it charge the battery to fast?

But so far i am happy with the result. I now have a none smelling(nearly:twisted:) Contura picked from a dumpster.

The harddrive is a little small only 800 MB and i have not find out how big harddrive the contura support. I will test it with my adapter and CF's when i get the 40->44 adapter.

Then i will try some other OS like feather linux, deli linux and DSL.
If anyone have a 24 MB memory for the Contura laying around i am interested.

JT