PDA

View Full Version : A500 mass storage

NeXT
April 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I know it feels nostalgic but I'm getting tired of always booting my Amiga 500 off the kickstart floppy. I know that there were a few hard drive modules that plugged into the side of the 500 and had dimensions that made it look out of place next to the Amiga 500 but I have no idea how common those Commodore-branded drives were. I might want one in the future but I'm fighting over that or locating a scsi controller and just using some sort of external SCSI disk instead (that SyQuest drive I recently got comes to mind) and would make transferring files to and from other systems so much better.
What should I really be looking for (short of a second floppy drive)?

EDIT: also, it's stime for me to replace the battery in my RAM upgrade module/RTC clock. The thing is that the box is soldered shut. What do I do to open it?

hexsane
April 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
A quick and dirty is using a parallel port zip drive:

http://netti.nic.fi/~some-e/amiga/amizip/

-Matt

NeXT
April 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Quick and dirty is right. The adapter looks pretty simple however I'll need to find a 7407 buffer.

cosam
April 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I always found the Commodore drives a bit goofy-looking next to an A500 and they apparently weren't particularly good either. At the time, the GVP drives were the ones to have. They were fast and even matched the lines of the A500 better than the Commodore drives. I'd never have been able to afford them back then, but I did later pick up an Impact II on eBay an pumped over a lot of old files from floppies. Inside is a regular 3.5" 50-pin drive, so it was pretty easy to mount the filesystem on a Linux PC and copy stuff over. I since got myself a Catweasel though - oh, the luxury of reading and writing Amiga floppies on a PC!

The thing is that the box is soldered shut. What do I do to open it?
Umm... desolder it? ;-) Which one do you have?

Unknown_K
April 17th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I wanted to get an A590 for my A500, but the cost is too much. I ended up getting an A2000 years ago with a HD for HD installable games and just used the A500 for disk bootable games (I have a A1011 2nd floppy that makes life a little more bearable). The A590 is pretty much the same as the A2091 SCSI card in my A2000 with 2MB of RAM max (needed for DMA transfers) stuffed into a sidecar.

The GVP A530 Turbo (68030/40 I think) was THE sidecar to get for the A500 if you had the cash that is.

The 512K Commodore RAM upgrade with RTC (for the A500 trapdoor) needs to be desoldered to get it open. I just got some solder wick (copper braid) and a decent soldering iron and removed the solder. You then unbend a couple tabs and the thing comes off. Then just remove the old battery and replace it with a coin type battery and holder like any other Amiga (make sure you use the diode in the plans found on the net to keep the amiga front trying to charge the coin battery or else it explodes into a black hole swallowing the galaxy). I did not solder it shut again, the tabs keep it together when you bend it back.

cosam
April 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM
The GVP A530 Turbo (68030/40 I think) was THE sidecar to get for the A500 if you had the cash that is.
Yeah, I'd still quite like to get me one of those. 40 MHz is a lot of clock for an A500! I reckon they're pretty rare by now though. Did however see one on ePay lately (went for a pretty penny) and I think I caught a glimpse of one in another thread here just yesterday.

Unknown_K
April 17th, 2009, 01:17 AM
The GVP 530 is still limited in RAM making it less usefull then you would think.

Amiga prices are crazy anyway, if the Amiga had been alive long enough to switch to PPC like the mac did then all those 68K goodies would be much cheaper these days.

Anonymous Coward
April 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM
This is what you want:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~leinone3/ide/i68k.html

NeXT
April 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
This is what you want:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~leinone3/ide/i68k.html

I saw that IDE adapter several times while googling around. Looks interesting at the least.