PDA

View Full Version : Wonky Wang PC260

RickNel
April 24th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Greetings Forum -

I just picked up an interesting 1989 Wang desktop box from a recycling depot. It's called PC260, based on a proprietary 386-CPU board, with soldered-in memory, Phoenix BIOS, and ISA bus. It has a 5.25 FDD and a NEC 42Mb MFM HDD - the pre-IDE kind that uses the old-style 34pin floppy edge connector plus a second 20-pin edge connector. Large DIN AT keyboard port, microsoft bus mouse port on ISA card. Wang had their own proprietary monitor standard - I have the card, but I don't have a Wang monitor. With a standard VGA monitor connected via a card in the ISA bus, the box will boot to display a BIOS menu on screen, but does not respond to keyboard or serial mouse (also via ISA serial card). There's a Wang networking card as well.

Does anyone know of a source of interest or support for vintage Wang gear?

There's a community interested in Wang servers and networked systems, but I've located nothing so far about this Intel-based but non-standard desktop product. It is really well built, the HDD is quite a classic, the M/B is DOS-compatible. Because these were designed and priced exclusively as office machines, perhaps they were less loved than the home and hobby gear.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rick

RickNel
April 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Correction - the Wang Professional Computer 260 does not have Phoenix BIOS - it has AMI "386 BIOS PLUS" in two ROMs, one marked "odd" and the other marked "even".

Since posting this request, I've found some old forum references to other Wang PC models.

In the absence of a Wang keyboard, can anyone tell me how to synthesize the scan code for the Wang "Execute" key? I found a reference to the other special Wang key, the "Cancel" key that can be spoofed with Ctrl+Break on a standard IBM 101 keyboard. So it must be possible to talk to this machine with an IBM keyboard?

Chuck(G)
April 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Wang went off into the commodity PC business in its later throes. Generally, the hardware was well-built but uninteresting.

The keyboard I'm typing on now has a "Wang" label on it. Flip it over and you see that's a standard IBM Model M. Sorry, no "Execute" key, however.

The Wang VS gear is far more interesting to collectors, I think.

pine-koan
November 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Correction - the Wang Professional Computer 260 does not have Phoenix BIOS - it has AMI "386 BIOS PLUS" in two ROMs, one marked "odd" and the other marked "even".

Since posting this request, I've found some old forum references to other Wang PC models.

In the absence of a Wang keyboard, can anyone tell me how to synthesize the scan code for the Wang "Execute" key? I found a reference to the other special Wang key, the "Cancel" key that can be spoofed with Ctrl+Break on a standard IBM 101 keyboard. So it must be possible to talk to this machine with an IBM keyboard?

'Execute' key is probably 'End' on a normal PC keyboard.