PDA

View Full Version : Trade: Model 2 Sega CD for Model 1 Sega CD

NeXT
April 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Don't know if this belongs here or in the Vintage Computer items wanted section so please move if necessary.

I have a barely used Model 2 Sega CD unit which I still have all the cables, brackets, bags and box for. All I can't part with are the games ( because Sewer Shark and Sonic CD are too awesome ;) ). the problem however is that I have the Model 1 (original) Sega Genesis and it looks stupid when attached to the Sega CD so I want to trade it for a Model 1 Sega CD unit in equal or better condition. It means that I can't get a 32X (without hacking the cable) but I'll never need one anyways because apparently it's not really good.

Is anyone willing to trade?

Also, does the Model 1 also need that dumb headphone cable thing so I can properly mix the sound coming out of the SegaCD and the Genesis? I need it when I connect my Model 2 Sega CD to my Model 1 Genesis.

NathanAllan
April 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Just checked, and yep, the headphone jack marked 'mixing' is there on my Model 1. If they weren't so darned hard to replace I'd take you up, but haven't found another working one in the wild yet.

I got a phone call yesterday about one, they must be getting popular again. With good cause, they're great fun.

NeXT
April 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Just checked, and yep, the headphone jack marked 'mixing' is there on my Model 1. If they weren't so darned hard to replace I'd take you up, but haven't found another working one in the wild yet.

I got a phone call yesterday about one, they must be getting popular again. With good cause, they're great fun.

Rats, so unless the Model 2 does the audio mixing in the interface edge connector (as there is no headphone jack on the Model 2 Genesis), I can either pack away the model 1 and get a Model 2 genesis OR I can find that plastic thing that you bolted on to the end of the Model 2 Sega CD so a model 1 on top does not look as stupid looking.
You know, like this:
http://www.geocities.com/compcloset/SegaGenesis1CD.jpg

Actually, I could probably mod in a headphone jack into the mack of my genesis so you don't see that mixing cable sticking out. It would be purely cosmetic, yes.

NathanAllan
April 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'd do the mod. iirc there is some circuitry to be done, but I totally would do it. If you're gonna add something, go the whole hog, add composite jacks and maybe >gasp< s-video! Do you guys have scart up there in Canada? I hear it's better than s-video.

So far I haven't found those end pieces except with a boxed unit. I'll keep an eye out for one, though.

NeXT
April 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I thought that large jack on the back gave you a composite output already?

http://www.gamesx.com/grafx/gen1.jpg

It does at least give you RGB but my home theater (as in the one in my room and not one that my parents own :p ) is almost completely a composite system because I doubt they made A/V switches with S-Video which would accomidate all the consoles and other devices I have plugged in.
Actually, I have seen the resullts of the S-Video mod and I'm actually really impressed.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the pinouts for both Genesis consoles, I'm pretty sure I could make an adapater so I can use the 32X with the Version 1 and then be able to use the more common Model 2 Sega genesis Composite video cable.

NathanAllan
April 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It gives you composite, but the big arguement is to use generic cables, not the large DIN one. I don't mind it (I can make my own cables if I need to), but that's what "they" say.

I am overdue in modding my certain Genny console with S-video and a slight overclocking. They are on the list.

If I can find a decently priced monitor with RGB I'll pick one up, but so far no luck.

Agreed, the cables are easy. I read on sega-16 that someone had problems with them, there was a resistor in-line somewhere or something..? Late now, but I want to make some cables too (got a 32x coming soon, maybe two). So I'll need some.

Segas are awesome. Just FYI, with some attention to detail and maybe a little circuitry, the power supplies inside a Dreamcast will almost swap with one in a Saturn (not totally, needs to reduce the 12v to 5v to have a great and TOUGH power supply).

Raven
April 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Rats, so unless the Model 2 does the audio mixing in the interface edge connector (as there is no headphone jack on the Model 2 Genesis), I can either pack away the model 1 and get a Model 2 genesis OR I can find that plastic thing that you bolted on to the end of the Model 2 Sega CD so a model 1 on top does not look as stupid looking.
You know, like this:
http://www.geocities.com/compcloset/SegaGenesis1CD.jpg

Actually, I could probably mod in a headphone jack into the mack of my genesis so you don't see that mixing cable sticking out. It would be purely cosmetic, yes.

Thi is exactly what my Sega system looks like, cept I also have a 32x sitting on top like the tumor that it is, letting me play my one 32x game (Virtua Fighter.. boo... I want to find Doom 32x...)

barythrin
April 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have the Model 1 (original) Sega Genesis and it looks stupid when attached to the Sega CD so I want to trade it for a Model 1 Sega CD unit in equal or better condition.

Is anyone willing to trade?

Depending on what you're really looking for/wanting I could check a local used video console store or two for the parts if it's something you'd like a price on. Not sure I'd know a model 1 vs model 2 unit though.

NeXT
April 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Depending on what you're really looking for/wanting I could check a local used video console store or two for the parts if it's something you'd like a price on. Not sure I'd know a model 1 vs model 2 unit though.

The Model 1 Sega CD was desined for the larger Model 1 Genesis...
http://www.rolentapress.com/rolenta/collection/sega/segacd.jpg

...and the Model 2 was designed for the smaller Model 2 Genesis but with a piece of plastic you could make it look more appealing with a Model 1 genesis in top (as pictured a few posts ago).

Starshadow
April 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
It would be easier to find a Type 2 Genesis than a Type 1 Sega CD.

Also, the 32x did have some good games. Doom, Star Wars Arcade, and Shadow Squadron( Sometimes Called Stellar Assault) are good examples. Virtual Racing wasn't too bad either.

willowmoon93
April 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
It would be easier to find a Type 2 Genesis than a Type 1 Sega CD.

Also, the 32x did have some good games. Doom, Star Wars Arcade, and Shadow Squadron( Sometimes Called Stellar Assault) are good examples. Virtual Racing wasn't too bad either.

Definitely. I was checking my inventory, I have twelve Model II Genesis', and only one Type 1 Sega CD unit. They are really hard to find out here. In fact I wouldn't even own one of the Type 1 Sega CD units, if it weren't for one of my friends finding it for me out where he lives. So just lucky for me. I own a couple of the Type 2 Sega CD units as well as a CDX.

The 32X was a very much overlooked system. But I agree Star Wars Arcade & Doom were definitely the standouts.

NeXT
April 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
That's true however does the the model 2 genesis do the audio mixing from the Sega CD internally? There is no headphone jack and that's what I'm worried about because you can distinctly tell when you are and are not using the "real" (as in you hear all the sound effects and stuff like that) audio form the Sega CD.

bear
May 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have it on good authority that Kolibri for the 32x is the best hummingbird-based shooter, ever.

(@;

NeXT
May 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Actually, I remember seeing a 32X for sale around this time last year and it came with three games and a Genesis but the whole thing cost $50 and I didn't have that kind of money so I bought a Power Glove instead.

mr-sardini
May 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hey guys. I am brand new, and guys look like you know what you are talking about. I have a type 2 sega genesis and type 1 sgea cd. I acquired the sega cd by helping someone move. It has no cables except the plug and i am unsure of its condition. Is there a way to connect the two systems? I had heard something about custom cables.

NeXT
May 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Well, to my knowledge the only special cable that you need is an audio cable that runs from the Model 1 Genesis to the Sega CD however since you have a Model 2 you don't need to worry and all you really have to so is slide the edge connector on the Genesis into the socket on the Sega CD, plug everything in and push the power button.

mr-sardini
May 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Really.... It's just that easy? thanks for your help.

NathanAllan
May 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Right, that's an easy one. It's a bit weird; when playing a Sega CD, on the rig you described, mr-sardini, plays the sounds through the back ports on the CD and the genesis, but when playing a cartridge stricly on the genesis you have to use the AV from the Genesis. That happened when I had it hooked up like that, a strange thing.

How hard would it be to get a Model 1 Genesis?? It looks much better on top of a Model 1 SCD.

mr-sardini
May 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Lol. Not that hard i guess. I am just lazy and cheap. It does look a little funny though.

mr-sardini
May 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Here's another question will I be able to hook up a 32x to my system, or do i have to look for a 2nd gen sega cd?

NeXT
May 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Here's another question will I be able to hook up a 32x to my system, or do i have to look for a 2nd gen sega cd?

The A/V connector on the back of both the Model 1 and Model 2 look different but they still output the same thing. The thing is that you would have to specially make the cable so it would work.

NathanAllan
May 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The A/V connector on the back of both the Model 1 and Model 2 look different but they still output the same thing. The thing is that you would have to specially make the cable so it would work.
Yes!

Making cables can be fun. mini-dins are the funnest, you'll love melting the plastic and your fingers. When you finally do get one working you'll look back with fondness (at least after the 3-5 days it will take to heal your fingers) as a job well done!

j/k, cables are easy. Mini-dins are a bit of a pain to work with, though. large din are easy.

Nathan

mr-sardini
May 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Ok, so I plugged the cd into the sega genesis and connected the power source. How does it turn on? I don't see any buttons. Sorry guys, I always wanted one, now i got one, but can't figure it out.

NeXT
May 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
On the Model 2 at least, turning on the Genesis automatically turns on the Sega CD as well.
Now you might look into if you want to preserve your game saves is the RAM backup cartridge. I'm still looking for one after I put my Sega CD away for a while and lost my Sonic CD save. ;_;

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm still looking for one after I put my Sega CD away for a while and lost my Sonic CD save. ;_;

Not a gamer, not a game collector, other disclaimers apply, know nothing about what I have, etc...however,

I do have a backup thinggy of some sort for some sort of Sega stuff. It supposedly backs up carts to 3.25" floppies, or sum'n. I picked it up for a fiver, and if ya want to monkey around with it, pm me for more accurate details, pix, etc. You can have it at my cost + shipping.

--T

NeXT
May 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Not a gamer, not a game collector, other disclaimers apply, know nothing about what I have, etc...however,

I do have a backup thinggy of some sort for some sort of Sega stuff. It supposedly backs up carts to 3.25" floppies, or sum'n. I picked it up for a fiver, and if ya want to monkey around with it, pm me for more accurate details, pix, etc. You can have it at my cost + shipping.

--T

Oh lol, one of those?
I have one for my SNES and it's wonderful for ripping ROMS to a computer (usually my GRiDCase) and you can also patch up SNES ROMS you can get online, send them via serial to the adapter and play them or save them to a floppy to play later.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7812/profighterx1994cf1.jpg
Fun, but borderline on piracy.
No thanks, I'm not interested currently.

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Oh lol, one of those?

Yeah, exactly (sorta), 'cept for SEGA. I picked it up for five buck$ cause I thought someone here would want it, but no interest so far.

--T

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Whaddayaknow? Someone did want it.

--T

NathanAllan
May 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
oh MAN!! Yeah, I was about to be next in line! Too late for this go round, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat!! Had you mentioned it before?? I must have missed it.

Whaddayaknow? Someone did want it.

--T

If you turn your Genesis on and the CD part stays off, there's a fuse that can be changed by the back power area. It takes some soldering to replace it and a fuse holder. Plus a fuse at a certain rating (can't remember right now, easy spec search though). Make sure the contacts on the Genesis are clean.

Power on works the same on a model 1 as a model 2.

Nathan

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
oh MAN!! Yeah, I was about to be next in line! Too late for this go round, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat!! Had you mentioned it before?? I must have missed it.

Nathan

Yeah, couple months back. I was surprised you didn't grab it.

--T

NathanAllan
May 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
About that time I was probably wrapping up school, so that was a great time for me to miss out on stuff. Ah well, you never know what you'll find in the wild. I might run across one yet.

>sigh<

mr-sardini
May 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
On the Model 2 at least, turning on the Genesis automatically turns on the Sega CD as well.
Now you might look into if you want to preserve your game saves is the RAM backup cartridge. I'm still looking for one after I put my Sega CD away for a while and lost my Sonic CD save. ;_;

Are lights supposed to come on? I don't see any. I don't have to put anything in the cartridge slot, right? I feel pretty inept at the moment. :confused:

NathanAllan
May 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM
There is a fuse on the inside that may need changing. Before you do that, check the power supply, see that it's putting out good voltage. The CD uses the same power supply as the Model 1 Genesis (9-12vdc, 1.2A, tip Negative).

There ought to be lights on the front, for sure.

When you finally troubleshoot the thing to work, get the Sonic Retro MegaMix, it's a great Sonic game. Mostly plays like a Genesis title, but it really is a nice piece of work.

Nathan

mr-sardini
May 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I switched power supplies(i have a 3rd party new in box). Still no action, I'll check the fuses. After all, it was in the guys garage for God knows how long.

NathanAllan
May 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Is it in a YELLOW box?? If so and it's for three different systems, it will NOT work. There's one that is supposed to be for the NES/SNES/Genesis, but it doesn't put out enough voltage at 600mA and iirc the polarity is wrong.

If you can't find an original one (or test out the one you have) use a laptop power supply from the flea market or thrift store.

Target specs: 9-12vdc, 1.2-3.0A, tip negative (I cannot stress this enough) reversing the polarity messes with the on-board power regulators (they're on the cheap-o side) and too little amperage can also have a bad effect on the system over the long haul.

mr-sardini
May 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
The power supply is from RadioShack, I will check the specs of it to make sure it matches your notes. On another note I opened the system.... I am not looking for a traditional fuse am I? Should I change the watch battery in there too? Sorry I took this thread way off topic, I thought this'd be easier, lol.

NathanAllan
May 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
If you can change it, sure, why not. It's been in there doing work for several years, may as well.

Look for a resistor looking thing marked as F1, that will be the fuse. It's not traditional as far as many types of fuses, but it's a fuse. Ought to be near the power supply. iirc, it's mounted vertically, not flat against the board. For testing just use a jumper and a known good power supply, to see if it comes on when you do. Get a new fuse and holder anyway, they have the holder at least at auto zone.

Vintage game, so far as I can tell it's still on topic. And we love to fix stuff, so still on topic.

A pic of my fix (can't see the fuse but you can see where it is):

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/UntitledAlbum#5280171965034997890

mr-sardini
May 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ok! Everything is working!!! Thanks for your help. Last question... The power supply I have says "1200mA" as opposed to the "1.2A", that's the same right? Like mL and L?

NathanAllan
May 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
yep, they mean the same thing, and you're good.

Now, go download and burn off that Sonic Retro game, you'll love it!

Glad you got it working, the Sega CD is a great piece of hardware.

mr-sardini
May 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Couldn't have done it without your help. And did you say download? As in I don't have to spend an eternity compiling a collection by constantly scanning Ebay?

NathanAllan
May 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Couldn't have done it without your help. And did you say download? As in I don't have to spend an eternity compiling a collection by constantly scanning Ebay?

dang right, it's here:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Megamix

Have fun! Do you have any Sonic games for the Genesis? I suggest you put both Sonic 2 in the cart slot, play it for about 10 minutes, THEN play the CD game, tell us all what you think. Link at the bottom.

It's the best Sonic game I have ever played, has all the greatest elements of all the various games (though I think he ought to have a sword in at least ONE area thanks Sonic and the Black Knight). And Amy with a hammer.

Believe it or not, that's a beta, it isn't finished yet. Still worth playing and it's excellent fun.

Not pirate, either, homebrew.

Nathan

mr-sardini
May 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry, been busy past couple days. I checked out the megamix. However my computer recognizes it as a 7z file and does not know what to do with it. Now I swear I am not a Noob but I don't think i've ever heard of this file type. What do I do with it?

NathanAllan
May 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Get the program 7zip, that's for deconpressing it. It will produce a .iso file, this is your image, use any old burner program (that's not windows) to burn it to a disk. Easy.

mr-sardini
May 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Oh.... That was easy

Starshadow
June 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
a little late but

When I bought my 32x, It had a type 1 Genesis adapter cable with it so both types of Genesis's can be used.

Only the CDX, The Type 3 Genesis, and the Nomad are unable to use the 32x.

Btw, Nomads Rock!