PDA

View Full Version : Tatung Einstein TC01

Hamuel
April 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hello!

I'm completely new to this vintage computer world but was recently given a fully working Tatung Einstein TC01 with 2 drives, a couple of games, programming and spreadsheet software. I found one website that said this was worth about 50. My questions are: How rare are they, are there many collectors of machines like this and has anyone got any advice what to do with the beast other than play phrogger?

Thanks,

Sam

andyt31
April 27th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I also have a boxed systems with 2 drives etc. They are not 'rare' but just not that common.

Try and add a 3.5" drive to it. You can then write disk images to 3.5" disks on you PC using an application like omniflop. You can then transfer these disks to the 3" drives. Or, you could add a 3" drive to your PC. There are a few sites out there that tell you how to do this.

HTH

carlsson
April 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I think Tatung Einstein is an excellent example of a computer which appears semi-regularly on some markets, but virtually not at all on other markets. That means for UK based vintage computer collectors it might be an odd bird in the cage, while for people abroad it is a very hard to find gem. (sorry about the strange analogy between birds and gems)

On the other hand international shipping tends to be quite expensive, in particular from the UK. Parcelforce is infamous for their pricing, those DHL-based courier services are slightly cheaper. Therefore some collectors abroad might hesitate to import one such relatively big and heavy computer, at least unless the selling price is much below the perceived market value.

Terry Yager
April 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
To further mix the metaphor, I may be crazy as a jaybird, but I see it as a diamond in the rough. (They ain't very common at all over here).

--T