PDA

View Full Version : root password reset on DEC 3000?

Mike Chambers
April 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
i got my hands on a complete DEC 3000/300 yesterday, but i don't know the password and neither did the previous owner. is there any way to reset it without re-installing the OS? also, i am a DEC n00b.. what exactly is the OS on it called?

ahm
April 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
A photo would have been helpful. Any chance it's one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_3000_AXP)?

Mike Chambers
April 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
yes, it's the model 300 like i was saying. DEC 3000/300. looks just like the one in the picture. it boots right up to the X-window login screen but of course i can't get past that. :(

pontus
April 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM
What OS is it running? OSF or OpenVMS?

barythrin
April 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I think there's an obscure hack you can do from the boot rom to access the hard drive and reset the password, the easier way however (if you have the equipment) is to put the hard disk in another system that supports SCSI and either mount the disk if your distro understands that FS and change the password yourself (change it to nothing root:: or a known hash) or use a drive editor and overwrite the password hash with a known password hash (*NEEDS TO BE SAME LENGTH OF DATA!*) (I know you know that but don't want someone else reading this and bricking their OS).

Mike Chambers
April 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
What OS is it running? OSF or OpenVMS?

like i was saying, i'm a DEC noob. how can i tell? :p

i'll go boot it up and see if i can find out.

Mike Chambers
April 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I think there's an obscure hack you can do from the boot rom to access the hard drive and reset the password, the easier way however (if you have the equipment) is to put the hard disk in another system that supports SCSI and either mount the disk if your distro understands that FS and change the password yourself (change it to nothing root:: or a known hash) or use a drive editor and overwrite the password hash with a known password hash (*NEEDS TO BE SAME LENGTH OF DATA!*) (I know you know that but don't want someone else reading this and bricking their OS).

that's a good idea. the only systems i have that support SCSI are a mac quadra 950 and a powerpc 6100/60. i do have "pengiun 19" loaded on the quadra. i could use that to jump start a linux kernel and a small initrd. i assume it would be able to understand the partition format from the DEC. hopefully.

Mike Chambers
May 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
i was able to get a giant box full of DEC software and manuals from the guy i got it from the other day. :)

i reinstalled OSF 3.2 ........ it's quite crappy. i'm installing NetBSD 5.0 on it now, should be much nicer.