PDA

View Full Version : 486 Riser..?

Raven
April 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I've got a little board by Kingston, with an Intel i486SX on it. It's a 33mhz chip. It connects to a board via a PGA connector on the bottom of it, which has it's pins 3-rows deep on all sides, with an extra bit of plastic in one corner for orientation. It looks very similar to a socket on a i386 board I have, and I believe identical to another (unfortunately dead) i386 board I have's slot. This is some kind of riser/accelerator, correct? What kind of board do I need for this to work, and does it disable, or coprocess with the original CPU?

Vlad
April 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have a IBM PS/2 that came with one of those. Its called a 486 NOW! Upgrade. I don't know much about it beyond it puts a 486 in a 386 socket.

patscc
April 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
You might want to check the 386 Upgrade page at:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/sandy55/Interposer/386_upgrade.html#486%20Now

EDIT I just realized that while the site is still up, the links to a lot of the utilities are invalid. I've got most of the utilities archived, at some point I'll put them up somewhere, until then if you need one you can PM me.
patscc

Raven
April 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah that looks like it.. I think mine was some kind of preview model (it's in 100% flawless brand-new condition too..), as it came with a few previously-military computers I got my hands on. It looks a bit different from the pictures in that page, but close enough so that I'm sure that's what it is.

I'm going to shoot you a PM for those utilities now, thanks.

Vlad
April 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Mil-Spec machines are pretty cool. I have a motherboard from Lockheed Missile and Space around somewhere that sadly no longer works. Where did yours come from?

Raven
April 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
My military-origin computers came from an airforce base near my house, which liquidated it's really old stock to somebody who worked there, who then slowly got rid of them all as they became ancient, and eventually I got lucky enough to get a Zenith Z-140 8088 (which I think has some bad RAM :( ), this 486 Now! card, and a few other trinkets. My friend got a Zenith 286 from him the same day, which I traded him some stuff for and will be getting soon. :D