PDA

View Full Version : OOhhh... Pentium II

TandyMan100
May 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
So, I was fiddling around with my CD drives again yesterday (still haven't figured it out), and trying to pull the bloody power plug out of the mounted cd drive after turning off the computer. It popped out, and my hand scraped across the sharp edges of the RAM cards, and afterfore mentioned scraped skin landed on the heatsink of the processor, a Pentium II. I learned then that a scraped hand hurts, a scraped hand hurts more when burnt, smoldering skin smells like barbeque, and Pentium IIs get #$% hot!

Still smarting from that one. I'm just going to keep my distance from that PC for a while.

On an unrelated note, my physchopathic Windows XP machine got a bluescreen (suprise, suprise) today, which then turned into a SWAMP GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH!!! I needed a new change of pants after that. Even though it was just a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error. Again. I hate that computer.

I have come to the conclusion that I like my Tandy even more after this.

carlsson
May 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I think the fastest PC I have used with only a heat sink was a Pentium 75 MHz, possibly 120 MHz. Newer than that, some kind of fan on top of the heat sink is almost mandatory.

barythrin
May 5th, 2009, 08:32 AM
You could always switch operating systems and enjoy some other color screen of death for a while. ;-)

gerrydoire
May 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Would be engraved on Bill Gates' Tomb when he expires. :twisted:

TandyMan100
May 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
RIP
Here lies Bill Ga---

Stop Error: IRQL_LESS_NOT_OR_EQUAL

(this message proudly displayed by Windoze)

patscc
May 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Are you sure it's not not a bad driver, or bad memory ? That's almost always the cause.
And what's a poor OS supposed to do when a fault occurs in the kernel that violates system integrity. Just suck it up ? No other OS I know if does.
I'm not defending XP, just modern OS's in general.

It would help if OP posted the full Stop message, as the numbers in it mean very specific things.

patscc

TandyMan100
May 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking it's the wireless card. It's no the memory, though.

patscc
May 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Post the stop message next time you get one.
Just because the BIOS passes it's quick 'n' dirty RAM test doesn't mean it's all good.
patscc

TandyMan100
May 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I tried taking out the individual RAM chips and replacing them with what I know is good ram. Same error.

carlsson
May 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking it's the wireless card.
So try to disable it somehow. I encounted a laptop at work which acted pretty much like you describe. In one room it booted fine, in another room it ended up with the BSOD error IRQL... It was a fresh re-install so not a lot of malware that could have made it go bad. I went as far as moving only a few meter, and then it worked.

Eventually I disabled the wireless network, and got it to work anywhere. At one place in the house it nicely detected wireless networks nearby, while at another location it just crashed. My theory is that a power line disturbed it or a very weak wireless network signal was picked up, so weak that the computer barely could get it. Before the re-install it used to work fine with wireless, so maybe I got the wrong driver.

lutiana
May 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
So, I was fiddling around with my CD drives again yesterday (still haven't figured it out), and trying to pull the bloody power plug out of the mounted cd drive after turning off the computer. It popped out, and my hand scraped across the sharp edges of the RAM cards, and afterfore mentioned scraped skin landed on the heatsink of the processor, a Pentium II. I learned then that a scraped hand hurts, a scraped hand hurts more when burnt, smoldering skin smells like barbeque, and Pentium IIs get #$% hot!

Reminds me of an idiot move I did once. I think it was an Athlon 1ghz socket chip I was working on. I had the heat sink off and I thought to myself, how hot could it possibly get. So in a stroke of sheer idiocy I hit the power button and placed the top of my index finger on top of the core.

I learned that day that an exposed CPU cores heat up VERY quickly, and that the AMD logo transfers to skin very easily at high temperatures. So kids, don't try that at home, leave it to us trained idiots!

Vlad
May 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I was just moving a data cable that ran under the floor yesterday and my hand slipped against a textured plaster wall making a cheese grater like affect on a knuckle. Not fun. Heat wise I had an Intel motherboard once. I was cruising along and the heat sink mount broke and the whole thing clunked to the bottom of the case on a Pentium 4. It shut down near instantly to protect itself and ran fine after I traded the mess away to a friend who fixed it. Kinda made me weary of Intel's stuff after that.

jsidkpo
May 13th, 2016, 02:14 PM
same bsod problem

Moondog
May 15th, 2016, 08:55 AM
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Would be engraved on Bill Gates' Tomb when he expires. :twisted:

Another choice would be "Please wait while Windows shuts down your system"

MicrocomputerSolutions
May 31st, 2016, 05:37 PM
I have a friend/neighbor who lives up the street and around the corner from my house (about six houses up, and six houses over from me).

One Xmas, I gave him a (what was a high end) Netgear Wireless Router, identical to the one I use in my house. We live across the street from the local small airport, where the County Sheriff flies the County choppers out of (Art Sholl also had a flying school here). That wireless router operated flawlessly at my house, and I took three different units of the same router up to his house, including the one that I used, and all of them had problems with wireless operation. Then, I took a different (less expensive) Netgear router up to his house, and it worked perfectly, and has for years since.

I figured that it had to be the communications or locating beacon for the airport that was causing the problem.

We used to have a similar problem in my neighborhood when the U.S. President was in LA (55 miles away). When the President was in LA, they were parking Air Force One in Riverside County at March AFB (25-30 miles away). Whenever that happened, the garage door openers in the whole neighborhood would start acting strangely. Remotes would not work, and garage doors would open on their own. As soon as the President would leave with his plane, the garage doors would go back to working properly.