PDA

View Full Version : Ingratitude

patscc
May 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I may be way off -base with this, but then, maybe not.
Here's a story I kinda got sucked into.
Names are changed to protect the ignorant.

Let's say there's a fellow in Canada that decides to find a nice home for one of his machines, let's call the fellow Mr. P.
So Mr. P. decides to post something on VCF, feeling that if he's ever to find someone to appreciate his donation, it would be here. And let's say the computer is something like a Hyperion. It's not, but a Hyperion will do.
So Mr. P. is contacted by someone we'll just call Mr. I. Our Mr. I is fine with the terms in the post, the Hyperion for shipping only, and let's say Mr. I lives in Michigan. Mr. I, who rarely ventures out from under the rock called home, isn't too familiar with shipping costs in and out of Canada, shipping costs in general, and probably money in general, I'd imagine rock sub-dwellers don't do much shipping or use money that much either.

Mr. P., good soul that he is, packs the Hyperion up carefully, schleps it to the post office, gets a quote, and let's Mr. I. know what the cost is going to be. I might also add that Mr. P. has made sure the machine boots, cleaned it up a bit, and thrown in a boot disk as well.

Mr. I., startled by the harsh sunlight of reality crawling out from under his rock, complains in no uncertain terms to Mr. P. about the cost of shipping, that Mr. P. is trying to rip him off, that Mr. P. is trying to make a fortune off of poor little Mr. I.
Mr. P. is at this point shocked, peeved, and no doubt thinks computer collectors are a bunch of scum.

Okay, folks, maybe I'm way off base here, but to me that's just plain wrong, and shows ingratitude. Here's a guy nice enough to give something nifty away, and care's enough about it to try and find someone to appreciate it, and has the bad luck to run into Mr. I.

Hey, if the shipping's too steep, be nice about it, tell the guy "Sorry, man, I can't do that right now, but thanks for giving me a chance".
Be polite. Grovel.
If you do go for it, let the donor decide how he wants to ship it and how he wants to be paid. Be nice. Give the donor the feeling we're all a bunch of nice, grateful people that really appreciate the chance to save another relic.
In my opinion, it's the Mr. P.'s doing us a favour, NOT us them.

Mr. I., man, bad, bad Karma

If others agree with me, please, sound off, let's let folks know we're not all a Mr. I. (If no one agrees with me, I'll just nip off and boil my head)

patscc
(This is a true story, by the way, and the rejected computer has found a loving home, where it will be petted and hugged and cherished and called 'George')

Lorne
May 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
There are way too many people out there who have no idea what the saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" means.

Perhaps Mr. P should have paid for the shipping, put a couple hundred bucks in the box for Mr. I, and thanked Mr. I profusely for taking the free computer from him.
Then again, Mr. I probably would have wanted even more than that.
Some people (like Mr. I), just don't get it !
(I want nothing to do with the Mr. I's of the world).

TandyMan100
May 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
(This is a true story, by the way, and the rejected computer has found a loving home, where it will be petted and hugged and cherished and called 'George')
I loved that episode...

I feel sorry for him.

strollin
May 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Mr. P could have handled the shock of the shipping charges much more gracefully. He could have asked Mr I if there was a less expensive way to ship and, if not, thanked Mr. I and wished him the best of luck in finding another home for the computer.

Personally, if someone offers me something for shipping only, I make sure to add in a little extra to show my appreciation for the gesture. Not enough for the person to get rich, for sure, but at least enough for a couple of cold ones to show appreciation for the time and effort the person put forth to pack and ship the item. After all, everyone's time has some value, doesn't it?

Unknown_K
May 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I guess it depends on what is offered. A machine of some value offered for shipping only is pretty much a gift so don't be an ass about it (pay what is required and thank the person).

Sometimes somebody just wants junk gone, and they get lazy and want a shipping company to pack and ship it for them driving up the cost greatly for something with little or no value. In that case you just have to say thank you for the offer but I have to decline at this time, etc.

If you do accept then don't back out after the person goes through the effort of packing things up etc, that is wasted time for them.

Over the years I have snagged a few items for the cost of shipping, and I have also sent items for the cost of shipping (kind of ballances out). Most of the free stuff you generally have to go and pick up, and sometimes it is a take the whole lot including the junk so some work is involved on your part anyway.

Shipping rates have gone up quite a bit since gas hit $4 a gallon (and have not dropped with gas at $2 a gallon either). Also since USPS quit shipping ground outside of the US prices have gone up quite a bit to ship outside the US. Quite often shipping (even free items) over the border is not worth it, better of paying for something inside of the country.

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
patscc

it will be petted and hugged and cherished and called 'George')

Hey, the brewer I spoke with yesterday was kind enough to knock off the (normally $4.00) cost of the growler I purchased, after I promised to love it, and hug it, and take it home and name it George! (He did however, make me pay full price for the wheatwine contained therein). I guess after spending a couple hours bending his ear, he was convinced that I'd be back many times to have "George" replenished (and I will, long's he keeps making brews like this). (In case y'all haven't noticed, I love talking about beer almost as much as drinking it).

I dunno how this applies to this rant, just thought I'd mention it. Good kharma on Dave the Brewmeister, and may all of his children be born nakid!

--T

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Also since USPS quit shipping ground outside of the US prices have gone up quite a bit to ship outside the US.

OMG! When did this happen?

--T

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
BTW, Pat... thanx for straightening out this mess and redeeming the good name of most computer collectors. That jerk Mr. P oughta be hosswhupped!

--T

Unknown_K
May 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM

--T

Are you being funny? USPS just does airmail outside of the country since a year or so ago. Shipping a heavy computer airmail (even to someplace directly over the border like Toronto Canada is very pricey.

patscc
May 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Well, if they don't ship elsewhere anymore, they better fix their website, from which you can still send the usual 108" girth packages. Here, check it out:
http://www.usps.com/international/globalexpressguaranteed.htm
patscc

channelmaniac
May 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
If it's going to be sticker shock, I simply give the person the dimensions and weight of the box and the URL to the USPS web site. This way they can look it up on their own before bellyaching that it's too expensive.

RJ

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Are you being funny? USPS just does airmail outside of the country since a year or so ago. Shipping a heavy computer airmail (even to someplace directly over the border like Toronto Canada is very pricey.

No, I'm aware that they dropped surface mail. I just thought they'd done sum'n recently that I hadn't heard of yet. (It's been awhile since I shipped overseas). My big shock was when DHL quit domestic shipping, but nothing much surprises me anymore.

--T

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well, if they don't ship elsewhere anymore, they better fix their website, from which you can still send the usual 108" girth packages.
patscc

Yeah, the webpage is way out-of-date. I already knew that too.

--T

mbbrutman
May 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Personally, if someone offers me something for shipping only, I make sure to add in a little extra to show my appreciation for the gesture. Not enough for the person to get rich, for sure, but at least enough for a couple of cold ones to show appreciation for the time and effort the person put forth to pack and ship the item. After all, everyone's time has some value, doesn't it?

And I've personally been the beneficiary of this policy. :-)

Mike

Terry Yager
May 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Some folks force $ on ya even if they have to break your arm to take it <*cough*Lorne*cough*>...

--T

chuckcmagee
May 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Well, if they don't ship elsewhere anymore, they better fix their website, from which you can still send the usual 108" girth packages. Here, check it out:
http://www.usps.com/international/globalexpressguaranteed.htm
patscc

Snicker, 22lb box, shipped to UK, via GXG (1 to 3 days) is ONLY $184.00, the online price, $204.00 otherwise.

Unknown_K
May 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
No, I'm aware that they dropped surface mail. I just thought they'd done sum'n recently that I hadn't heard of yet. (It's been awhile since I shipped overseas). My big shock was when DHL quit domestic shipping, but nothing much surprises me anymore.

--T

I was bummed when DHL quit, it was the cheapest around for larger items (saved me a few bucks over the years).

amouse
May 8th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I shipped a Cromemco CS250 computer from the US of A to Switzerland about 2 years ago. It cost me over 800 USD (dollars) for the privilege.

I did attempt to conceal this fact from my partner, but when she found about the costs, it got pretty ugly.

SO: the moral of the story is, for parcels within the USA, or even to Canada, you folks definitely have it EASY, EASY, EASY.

regards marcus.

barythrin
May 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
wow. It's starting to sound like personal delivery of vintage computers would be a deal. Mini-vacation with your baggage.

Unknown_K
May 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
The only lucky thing we have here in the US is Media Mail shipping for printed materials and software. Shipping magazines cross country gets very expensive if it wasn't for media mail.

Druid6900
May 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM

--T

Right after you said you were packing up some stuff to send to me. BTW, "Some Time Soon" actually happened a week or so ago (and I actually got to unload a working 4032 PET that I really had no use for). Thanks, MikeS :)