PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 3000T Booting

One Man Band
May 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi guys...

Before I put up my A3000T, I just want to make sure that what I think is a special feature, IS in fact a special feature and not just something it always did...

I can boot it up with both mouse buttons held down and it will go into a special boot screen (using a 2.0 screen before it was called 2.0...sort of like a beta 2.0) that allows me to boot 1.3 or 2.x from a ROM image off the hard drive, instead of from a formal Kickstart ROM. The 2.x ROM can be any up to pre-OS3.9 (iirc). I know I could boot at least 3.1 (was it?) with it; it didn't have to be just 2.x.

I call this a "developer's edition" feature because I am the original owner and I got it directly from CATS. Am I correct, or was this just a feature of early towers that they removed later?

Thanks,

]3ob

carlsson
May 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
The Early Startup screen is present on all Amigas with OS 2.X or higher. I think the function to softkick a ROM image exists on all 3000's. However your machine may be a special developer's edition in other aspects, I don't know what to look for though.

One Man Band
May 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Dangit...I could have sworn that was special behavior. Thanks for the reply.

]3ob

Pikkey
June 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hi guys...

I can boot it up with both mouse buttons held down and it will go into a special boot screen (using a 2.0 screen before it was called 2.0...sort of like a beta 2.0) that allows me to boot 1.3 or 2.x from a ROM image off the hard drive, instead of from a formal Kickstart ROM. The 2.x ROM can be any up to pre-OS3.9 (iirc). I know I could boot at least 3.1 (was it?) with it; it didn't have to be just 2.x.

]3ob

Original setup of A3000T (and desktop too) is like this.
You can change the kickstart file up to release v3.1 without troubles, only you need to have the correct version of kickstart file for A3000.
If you change the boot roms with a "normal" kickstart rom set you can have a quicker boot and save 512kb of ram..

Ciao