PDA

View Full Version : Disk Drive

jimmieloveshissunfire
May 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I just bought a new disk II drive, but it doesn't work. When I use it as drive2 it will sound like its reading the disk, but fail to format or read it when I am using ADT pro. When I tried it as drive one, it will make a spinning sound for second then nothing will happen. The "new" one has a rainbow cord, and the "old" working one has grey cord. Their ends look the same, but could they be different types, or is it just broken?

david__schmidt
May 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Their ends look the same, but could they be different types, or is it just broken?
Could be broken. If it's ever been plugged in incorrectly (off by one row of pins) it blows a chip on the analog board. That's what it sounds like from your symptoms. If you build a disk using your good drive, and then try to read it with the bad one, does it work?

jimmieloveshissunfire
May 15th, 2009, 03:23 AM
No, I've tried several good disks in it.

david__schmidt
May 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM
No, I've tried several good disks in it.
Can you run a drive speed test on it? (I.e. plug it in as drive 2, get one of those copy programs with a disk speed test on it, and unleash it on D2)

If that doesn't work - the analog board's probably cooked. Start reading here:
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2FDRIVE.html#012

jimmieloveshissunfire
May 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
It wouldn't boot at first, then when I loosened it, it tried to read the disk, but it said the disk was either protected or the wrong kind, but this is the ADT Pro disk I made using the good drive.

cosam
May 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM
What do you mean by "loosened"? I also suspect there's something up with the analogue board. You could verify this by swapping it with the one in the working drive.

jimmieloveshissunfire
May 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks, I tried the above link, and that was the problem.