PDA

View Full Version : S-100 prototype board project

NobodyIsHere
May 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi All! I am developing an S-100 prototyping board. Please take a look at this sample drawing and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. I haven't made an order yet so if there are things you'd like please let me know.

I'd like to keep this a simple as possible. My design goals are basically just a grid of PTHs with the power supply and ground rails provided. All the logic would have to be provided by the builder (IO decode, buffers, etc) The primary purpose of this is to verify the template for the S-100 board and especially the functionality of the card edge connector which has been a problematic issue for some time.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/f/Printing%20S100_Blank-full-brd.pdf

If you'd like one or more of these PCBs please let me know.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

cosam
May 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Looks great! Personally though, I've never been able to get along with 1x1 grid-type prototyping boards. The solder side always ends up looking like a dog's dinner and soldering to an existing connection seems fiddly. I quite like 3x1 strips for that reason, when working with DIP ICs. Of course, if you're wire wrapping, this is not an issue.

My only other comment would be that most of the S100 cards I've seen have heat sinks on the voltage regulators and I don't see an awful lot of room for them if they're required.

NobodyIsHere
May 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi! Thanks! I uploaded a new version of the drawing for the N8VEM S-100 prototyping board. It has a number of improvements such as increased room for card guides, more room for the SCRs to include heatsinks, wider power and ground card edge pads, etc. Please check out the new version!

My theory is that you shouldn't need additional heatsinks since the fill zones are tied to the SCRs and will act as heatsinks themselves. You can still add additional heatsinks if you like but they'll have to be small and fit on the board.

There are many varying types of prototype boards and I understand the grouped pads are nice. However, this is mostly meant as a test for the S-100 board template and card edge connector so I am trying to keep it as simple and generic as possible. Still, I've done many versions so far.

Generally speaking, I prefer wire wrap although many of my prototypes are done with point to point solder. I can see the benefits of a variety of prototype boards. If this one sells OK and I can recover my costs on it I may consider some other types such as rows of grouped pads.

Andrew Lynch

NobodyIsHere
May 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi! I haven't seen our S-100 colleague PacMan around recently and his pictures disappeared. However, his site is still up and you can see pictures of his prototype board. My N8VEM S-100 prototype board is similar but different in many ways. I suppose its just style differences.

http://www.x-game.se/

He certainly made a nice S-100 mini system which is what I'd like to do. Has anyone bought any of his prototyping boards? Was/is he going to sell them?

Andrew Lynch

NobodyIsHere
May 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi! I ordered some S-100 prototyping board PCBs. They should be here in three weeks or so. They will be $25 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 overseas.

Andrew Lynch

MikeS
May 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hi! I ordered some S-100 prototyping board PCBs. They should be here in three weeks or so. They will be $25 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 overseas.

Andrew Lynch
Put me down for one.

mike

NobodyIsHere
June 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi! The N8VEM S-100 prototyping board PCBs are available. I tested one out and it seems to work fine. It fits in the S-100 connector on the N8VEM S-100 backplane just right and the pads line up with the pins as you would expect. I assembled the components and the proper voltages appear in the correct places.

They seem really nice and I am very happy with how these turned out. Pads for +5V, +12V, and -12V regulators with filter capacitors are on the PCBs. You can optionally install them or change them around as you see fit.

The PCBs are $25 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 shipping overseas. Please contact me off list if interested in some. I posted some photos in the N8VEM wiki S100 folder if you would like to see them.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=S100

I am really looking forward to building some S-100 home brew computer stuff with these boards. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Andrew Lynch

NobodyIsHere
June 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hi All! Not quite half of the N8VEM S-100 prototyping boards are sold to builders. That's good. I've done some more testing with the board and it fits nicely into my Vector Graphic chassis. I think the board should be good for any S-100 system.

If anyone is interested in doing an S-100 home brew computer you should seriously consider getting some prototyping boards. Either the N8VEM ones or some other kind so you can "build as we go". Assembling a pre-made PCB is some fun but not nearly as much as building a wire wrap prototype or soldering one together.

Andrew Lynch

NobodyIsHere
July 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Hi! I still have 8 remaining S-100 prototyping boards. They are $25 each plus $3 shipping in the US. That is right in line with what they normally go for on eBay but these are new construction not used. Unless something dramatic happens once these PCBs run out they are gone so if you are interested I wouldn't put off buying one too long.

My goal here is just to recover my costs on the PCB manufacturing run. There has been significantly less interest in the S-100 home brew projects than I anticipated so I am probably going to focus more on the ECB side of home brew computing. Since the Eurocard PCBs are smaller they tend to be more affordable and economically feasible than S-100.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch