PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care to explain this ???

leaknoil
May 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160336013642

Its not a real IIe either. I'm sure its just a sticker on a clone but, still pretty funny.

barythrin
May 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
lol what an odd collection of notes. If it was local and $25 I'd just pick it up for grins to see what card is inside it. Likely it's a video overlay card or something. I think you're right about the vaxstation sticker being on there though. It's obviously an Apple II, just not sure what has been modified.

ahm
May 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
To me, it looks like an Apple //e clone (by Fox?) with a Vaxstation sticker on it.

nige the hippy
May 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I "lol"'d too!
Poor bloke, but perhaps.. we used to use loads of BBC micros with 3270(?) terminal emulator roms in as terminals, perhaps this comes from a Fox establishment, and it was worth getting apple II's custom upgraded to emulate a DEC terminal, as it was cheaper for them to buy an apple II plus the upgrade, than buy a proper terminal. I suspect the "vaxstation" label is a joke though. to make it "more legitimate".

pontus
May 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I asked him to put more pictures up and he said he would. I wonder what "fox" he is talking about.

leaknoil
May 19th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The guy posted more pictures. Looks like a IIe clone inside with some odd clone cards. Looks like a floppy card, CP/M card, and printer card. Be interesting to play with. Must have custom roms if its coming up with "Fox". If you had a Vaxstation and you really needed that tag its probably worth the opening price alone. I imagine they are hard to find and you get a free odd apple II clone with it.

linuxlove
May 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM
IT seems to be an Apple ][e with FOX ROMs inside. It's interesting and i want it, but I have no money for it.

leaknoil
May 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
IT seems to be an Apple ][e with FOX ROMs inside. It's interesting and i want it, but I have no money for it.

Who or what is Fox ?

linuxlove
May 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
FOX is a TV broadcasting company here in the US.

Lou - N2MIY
May 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Fox Research Inc was a division of DCA (Digital Communications Associates, Atlanta GA). They had a proprietary LAN called 10 Net. They ultimately changed their name to 10Net. I have an 8 bit ISA bus 10 Net card from 1986, but never saw a working 10Net setup in real life. They had proprietary hardware and software.

Lou

Vlad
May 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
FOX is a TV broadcasting company here in the US.

A quick Internet search and the Wikipedia would tell you a TV station would have nothing to do with a product that predates their existence and is outside their particular industry. The Apple IIe showed up in 1983, the Fox Broadcasting Company didn't get started until 1986. Please verify information before you post.

linuxlove
May 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
then excuse me, i don't remember anything about the 1980's at all, mainly because i wasn't born then.

Vlad
May 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hence the Internet search and looking up references before blindly posting. I never said you had to remember it, just make sure your information is correct before posting.

barythrin
May 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM
While I agree and am not sure the broadcasting company would be our suspect, and Lou offered an interesting insight, the Apple IIe timeline still goes beyond 86, although I'm not sure about production but many folks reference the life of the Apple II to go into the early 90's so it wouldn't be impossible for a company to still be using and/or modifying that equipment.

Beyond being an Apple II or clone I personally don't have a good idea on who Fox was or if the ROMs were replaced with a proprietary function, or if it just blurts that out and is now in Apple Basic or what.

Atleast someone bid on it and maybe they're here and will post what this system is designed for.