PDA

View Full Version : Launch Win 3.1.1 with "WIN" from main directory?

Rockin' Kat
May 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hi,

I'm no MS DOS/Win 3.1.1 expert.. I pretty much barely know enough to install the DOS 6.22, install Win 3.1.1 and then get the SoundBlaster16 drivers installed...I know how to bring up the help file if I forget a command...

What's really cool is that I also seem to know how to really F*ck things up. :mrgreen:

So I havn't really put a lot on my 386 here... I just installed Norton Utilties 4.5 from some disks I picked up at a used computer shop and now I have a problem.

Before this I was able type "win" at the C: prompt to load windows. Now I have to go into the windows directory and then type "win" to load windows. What just got changed to cause this?

Ole Juul
May 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Is the windows directory in your path? It sounds like that's what got changed.

Type "path" to check, or look in your autoexec.bat file which is also where you would add it. Perhaps that will give you some insight into what happened as well. :) Your path statement (depending on what you want) should read something like "path c:\dos;c:\util;c:\windows". You can also type that command at the prompt but it won't survive a reboot unless it's in the autoexec.

Rockin' Kat
May 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Well, this is the backup the installer made of the autoexec.bat file:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET MOUSE=C:\MOUSE
C:\MOUSE\mouse.exe /Q
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

This is what autoexec.bat currently looks like

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET MOUSE=C:\MOUSE
C:\MOUSE\mouse.exe /Q
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET PATH=;C:\NORTON;
FR /SAVE
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

The windows and dos directories were in path, so I went ahead and added Norton to the "Path" line and deleted "Set Path" line to see if somehow that was overwriting it and now it seems to be working.

Jorg
May 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM
The windows and dos directories were in path, so I went ahead and added Norton to the "Path" line and deleted "Set Path" line to see if somehow that was overwriting it and now it seems to be working.
Yes, that is exactly what you had to do.
The second PATH command was overwriting the first one.
Congratulations! :)

curtis
May 20th, 2009, 07:05 AM
BTW, a little tip for speeding things up by a couple of seconds.

If you type win: it will bypass the splash screen. That is unless you REALLY like the Windows 3.11 picture!

chuckcmagee
May 20th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The normal trick for a second PATH= is:

PATH=%PATH%;NORTON;

That appends the NORTON part onto the end of the PATH string variable.

Fallo
May 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
If you type win: it will bypass the splash screen. That is unless you REALLY like the Windows 3.11 picture!

There has to be a space between WIN and the colon. This feature was put in during testing because Microsoft's programmers got tired of looking at their own logo.

In Windows 2.x, you could type WIN: program (no spaces; I put one in so the forum doesn't turn it into a smiley face), and it would start the program you specified without Windows' shell (the DOS Executive) loading, and thus save valuable memory.

This feature was dropped in Windows 3.0, but you can still do the same thing by opening WIN.INI and replacing the Program Manager with any Windows application. The application will then function as your shell, and when you exit it, Windows will exit (same applies to the Windows 2.x trick I mentioned). File Manager was often used for this purpose.