PDA

View Full Version : Strange coincidence in computer building

NathanAllan
May 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
A few years ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop from someone here (been a long time, sorry, just can't remember) and I upgraded the hdd and ram and installed Slackware 9. ~120mhz, 48mb ram, 20gig hdd. I still have the 810mb hdd that came in it. Also has a Xircom ethernet card.

Today I met a person who's a Linux user as well, and he donated to me and my little store a Toshiba laptop, with a 20gb hdd, increased ram, and a Xircom card and the original hdd that came in it, this one is 814mb.

How frekkin common is a setup like this one?? I never gave up the first one I got, and now I have two. I'll be making a video for youtube on this tomorrow, it;'s just too weird that I end up with two almost identical rigs liek that. Me building one and a totally unknown person building one up like it. Weird.

Nathan

XDanger
May 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I had a Toshiba CD something with a Xircom LAN card.

NathanAllan
May 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I had a Toshiba CD something with a Xircom LAN card.
Right, that much I would call just chance and easy to get parts. I'll show it all off in the video, it'll be neat.

Who did I get that Toshiba from?? I know it came from here, I think it was Aaron, maybe.

NathanAllan
May 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Okay, the vid is up, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50O9Ia7-pw

Were those Xircom cards that easy to get?? Ran across another one the other day. Hmm...

Hope y'al like the vid, I had fun making it.

And the guy did NOT give me the password, so I guess I'll have to reinstall.

XDanger
May 31st, 2009, 02:01 PM
I think mine was a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT and I had a very similar one without a CD drive.
The Xircom is the only card I could find that was compatible with the PCMCIA