PDA

View Full Version : Genie online service, NEC forum?

gweber
May 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Ages ago, back in the days when CompuServe seemed to be the online haven for all of us, GEnie was a competing service. I'd bet there's quite a few of you out there who remember it!

On GEnie, there was a forum called the "GEnie's Laptops RoundTable". I think it was run by someone named "Dave Thomas" (No, not the same guy who's the face of Wendy's!)

Within the RoundTable there were file download areas for the both the Tandy and NEC laptops. Apparantly IDT Corp took over GEnie back in 1996, but I have no idea if any of the RoundTable content had been preserved. A few years back, I'd come across an archive what seems to be only a sparse representation of what used to be available in the 8201A area, which I'm assuming was just a collection of the stuff an individual had downloaded and decided to post on the internet.

I'm hoping is that one of you on these forums either knows if there a large archive of "GEnie Laptops RoundTable" stuff just lurking out there somewhere that I've not come across yet. Anyone have any tidbits of knowledge on this?

It's just a shot in the dark, but it never hurts to ask. :)

gweber
May 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
As a side note, I do know a good chunk of their Model 100 related stuff did make it onto www.club100.org. And there is a small archive of NEC Starlet (CP/M) files that is floating about. But their NEC PC-8201A stuff, however, seems to have gone to the big black void, unless someone out there has some info to share.