PDA

View Full Version : Corvus

atarimuseum
March 23rd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Wanted -

Corvus manuals and sales brochures, hard drives, omninet servers, network cards, disks & software, anything from Corvus.

Curt

Corvus
July 13th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I have a 1982 Corvus Concept Computer still in the box. However, I am hoping to sell it and not donate it. I don't know if you're interested in buying it or you know anyone who does. I'm not sure of it's vintage market value although I do know it is a pretty unique computer with an unusual history. I have all the manuals and it has never literally been out of the box. It's always been stored in a safe, clean, dry environment. If you're not interested in buying it, could you give me some idea of it's value and what would be a fair asking price (I'm a novice at vintage computers)? Thank you.
Bob: palebluehorse@sbcglobal.net

Druid6900
July 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Well, Bob, you've fallen into something that all of us have, at one point or another.

Check the date on the post you replied to. It's over 4 years old.....

carlsson
July 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
For that matter, Curt may still collect Corvus stuff. Even I have a 6 MB hard drive setup in the basement, complete with HardBox interface to a PET. I also have a tiny bit of docs, probably too little to trade other than I could scan or photo copy it.

Druid6900
July 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
That may well be, but he hasn't been on the site since the end of November, 08.

The only corvus thing I have is a Apple ][ series hard drive controller with no hard drive to go with it.

MikeS
July 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
That may well be, but he hasn't been on the site since the end of November, 08.

The only corvus thing I have is a Apple ][ series hard drive controller with no hard drive to go with it.
----
Just curious: what kind of drive does it use?

atarimuseum
July 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Yes, I really do need to stop by more often, don't I :-)

Still around, still looking for Corvus Stuff

Curt

atarimuseum
July 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
----

Its an MFM drive in the smaller models, the big honking 8" monsters are Winchester drives

Curt

MikeS
July 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Its an MFM drive in the smaller models, the big honking 8" monsters are Winchester drives

Curt
----
That's what I was wondering; I think they used the same IMI 7710s that Cromemco used and I wondered whether that's what Dru is missing; I scrapped a few but I've still got one somewhere, condition unknown.

On the other hand, I also scrapped an Omninet drive for the enclosure and power supply; it originally had an MFM drive but now it's got an IMI 5018 in it. I've still got the MFM interface board somewhere though.

Chuck(G)
July 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
----
That's what I was wondering; I think they used the same IMI 7710s that Cromemco used and I wondered whether that's what Dru is missing; I scrapped a few but I've still got one somewhere, condition unknown.

About the size of a shoebox with a black plastic top? I remember those--I evaluated one when IMI was field-testing them. You can make the drive go nuts by raising the front edge about 1/2" from level. It's apparently a closed-loop servo positioner that doesn't compensate well for gravity. That soured the deal for us--we went with one of the Shugart 14" (SA-400x) drives until the 5.25" drives started showing up. Still have one hooked to a HP-IB interface controller.

Druid6900
July 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
----

Can't tell you for sure, but, it does have a single 34 pin connector on the back end of the card, 9 TTLs and a 2716 ROM from 1979.

MikeS
July 15th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Can't tell you for sure, but, it does have a single 34 pin connector on the back end of the card, 9 TTLs and a 2716 ROM from 1979.
----
Yup. that sounds like an IMI interface all right; good luck finding a drive...

MikeS
July 15th, 2009, 11:39 PM
About the size of a shoebox with a black plastic top? I remember those--I evaluated one when IMI was field-testing them. You can make the drive go nuts by raising the front edge about 1/2" from level. It's apparently a closed-loop servo positioner that doesn't compensate well for gravity. That soured the deal for us--we went with one of the Shugart 14" (SA-400x) drives until the 5.25" drives started showing up. Still have one hooked to a HP-IB interface controller.
---------
That sounds like it, although it's a little bigger than a shoebox (it has an 8" platter after all).
Interesting tip; I'll keep it in mind if I ever try to resurrect the one I still have. Not surprising actually, it uses a relatively heavy *real* voice coil *linear* positioner, like a piston.

Mind you, their first 5" hard disk was also black plastic, the whole frame, with an optical index sensor; interesting... also needed -5V supply IIRC

Druid6900
July 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
----
Yup. that sounds like an IMI interface all right; good luck finding a drive...

I don't want a drive, just a customer with a drive and no interface card :)

MikeS
July 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
-----
Well, if they have a drive and need a Cromemco controller, I'm your man!

carlsson
July 17th, 2009, 05:23 AM
What is this; Surplus Vintage Computer Dealers Anonymous? :lol:

Druid6900
July 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
-----
Well, if they have a drive and need a Cromemco controller, I'm your man!

Yeah, like they are going to have the patience that Lawrence and I do when it comes to getting the stuff LOL

Druid6900
July 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
What is this; Surplus Vintage Computer Dealers Anonymous? :lol:

Well, between Mike and I, we have enough computer "stuff" to sink a battleship and we're just trying to spread it around the planet evenly before it starts to wobble too much :)

animekenji
September 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hmmmm.... I have one of the old Corvus 8 inch 5mb and one of the smaller, but externally similar looking 5.25 inch 10mb drives. I'd like to find an Atari interface but I also several Apple II's so if you still have the Apple hard drive controller and aren't too mercenary I might be interested.

Druid6900
September 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Define "too mercenary"

shirsch
September 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmmm.... I have one of the old Corvus 8 inch 5mb and one of the smaller, but externally similar looking 5.25 inch 10mb drives. I'd like to find an Atari interface but I also several Apple II's so if you still have the Apple hard drive controller and aren't too mercenary I might be interested.

Which controller are you looking for? Flat-cable or Omninet?

animekenji
September 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Wow. I completely forgot I signed up for this forum until I found it again doing a google search. Anyway, anyone still have any Corvus stuff they'd part with without hurting me too much? :D

shirsch
September 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Wow. I completely forgot I signed up for this forum until I found it again doing a google search. Anyway, anyone still have any Corvus stuff they'd part with without hurting me too much? :D

And I repeat the question: Which apple interface are you looking for? Flat-cable or Omninet?

fibrewire
March 14th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I guess i would be looking for the flat cable. If you have an omninet interface, well that would be great too!

fibrewire
March 19th, 2011, 02:02 AM
See Here (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179037-corvus-systems-s-100/)