PDA

View Full Version : The collection so far

Vlad
June 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Just today I acquired a light sixer as a gift which goes along nicely with my others. So far I have a CX-2600 light sixer, a CX-2600 A 4 switch with wood trim, and a CX-2600 A black 4 switch in its original box with price tag. ($89.99 from a department store) To go along with those I have 2 sets of Joysticks, a paddle set and the touch pad thingy that came boxed with a game.

All in all I'm pretty proud of my collection. I still have vage memories of being really little and playing Pitfall at my grandparents, which is where the black CX-2600 A came from. Anyone have the cost reduced "Atari Jr." version of the 2600? I never knew about those until today, they look interesting but I've never seen one before.

Micom 2000
June 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
The only 2600s I've kept were a "Heavy Sixer" and a JR. There are a bunch of images of them which come up on Google. A "cute" 2600. Possibly why I kept it. A channel 2/3 selector, a left and right controller, and 2 A/B difficulty switches (which makes me think of handicapping for players of different skills. Cool ! ), a power input and RCA output on back, 4 switches on front, ON/Off, color/BW, Select, and Reset. All in a 6"x 10" package with a somewhat Rainbow decal on the front.

I've always thought of the 130xe as a "baby" ST even tho one was an 8-bit machine and the other a 16-bit. The XEGS with it's pastel colors was also in the design character of the Ataris. A triumph, all, of marketing design. Even the 800SL was a cool design when compared to the 800, much less the boxy Atari PC. By that time Tramiel must have decimated the brilliant design department for cheaper designers. Nothing special design-wise about the Megas, the TT030, or the Falcon.

The early Ataris were designed for the home market, and only some of the Sinclairs approached their style.

Lawrence

pinkponger
July 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Your collection is astounding. I would give my right arm to be able to have a complete set of the comics. Well, maybe not, but Id think about it really hard.