PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 2000 cd-rom issue

nblsavage
June 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Well, I should have known my free A2000 would have at least one issue. So, she's got a Commodore 2091 Hard Card with a SCSI HD and a SCSI CD-ROM (AppleCD 600i AKA Matsushita CR-504-K)

I've installed ASIM CDFS and its SCSI detection found the drive and the correct ID (I checked the jumpers) but if I try to boot the machine with a CD in the drive, or put one in after it's booted, the HD light will come on and stay steady and I can't access the HD (just get the clock pointer)

This is a fresh install of WB 3.1 BTW.

One Man Band
June 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just a wild stab in the dark here, but does the drive have the correct termination applied? Either with an external terminator or the internal resister pack thingies?

]3ob

nblsavage
June 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yep the terminator jumper is in place on the CD-ROM and removed on the hard drive (which is the first device in the chain)

Unknown_K
June 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
What kind of CD is in the drive? I think Amiga needs rockridge format to read a CD (incase you just dumped some files to a cdr).

nblsavage
June 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It's just a old data cd-rom (pressed, not burned) that I had had used back when I owned my first A500 w/ external cd-rom drive so I know it's compatible. the same symptoms happen when I insert a music cd.

I downloaded a utility from Aminet called SCSI_Lister just to double check things, and it shows the cd-rom drive on scsi.device but strangely enough it shows the drive as devices 0-7 on asimcdfs.device, I don't know if that's normal or not.

NeXT
June 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
It's just a old data cd-rom (pressed, not burned) that I had had used back when I owned my first A500 w/ external cd-rom drive so I know it's compatible. the same symptoms happen when I insert a music cd.

I downloaded a utility from Aminet called SCSI_Lister just to double check things, and it shows the cd-rom drive on scsi.device but strangely enough it shows the drive as devices 0-7 on asimcdfs.device, I don't know if that's normal or not.

wait, so the cd drive is appearing on all the scsi channels? Sounds like either a cabling or termination issue to me.

nblsavage
June 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
wait, so the cd drive is appearing on all the scsi channels? Sounds like either a cabling or termination issue to me.

That was my thought as well but isn't the scsi.device the "true" scsi device and the asimcdfs.device something that AsimCDFS is using?

I'll double check when I get home but I'm pretty sure that the HD has its termination jumper off and the CD-ROM has its jumper enabled. It's been quite a while since I've dealt with SCSI issues so this may sound like a dumb question, but the ribbon cable has an empty connector between the one for the HD and the one for the CD-ROM, could that be an issue?

barythrin
June 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
It's been so long since I've worked on my Amiga's. The biggest suggestion (not related) is to make sure you note the direction of the ribbon cables for your other device (floppy drives). This is dumb but I didn't pay attention when working on my A2000 cd-rom project and I guess I plugged things back in as I would on a PC (red stripe being pin 1 and pin 1 being towards the power plug) and I think I burned out one of my drives. Don't recall if I ever got that unit back up and running quite right.

Other than that make sure you have the cdrom driver in the DEVS: directory although I imagine your application did that for you. Then possibly it could still need the cd filesystem driver also, but right now it sounds like a SCSI issue more then a driver/filesystem issue.

nblsavage
June 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
It's been so long since I've worked on my Amiga's. The biggest suggestion (not related) is to make sure you note the direction of the ribbon cables for your other device (floppy drives). This is dumb but I didn't pay attention when working on my A2000 cd-rom project and I guess I plugged things back in as I would on a PC (red stripe being pin 1 and pin 1 being towards the power plug) and I think I burned out one of my drives. Don't recall if I ever got that unit back up and running quite right.

Other than that make sure you have the cdrom driver in the DEVS: directory although I imagine your application did that for you. Then possibly it could still need the cd filesystem driver also, but right now it sounds like a SCSI issue more then a driver/filesystem issue.

Part of the devil with this is that I don't know if the drive itself is any good anyway. Keeping my eye open for a spare when I hit the thrifts.

barythrin
June 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that's a minor issue itself. You could test it on another system you know well that has a SCSI card/interface.

I forgot the biggest/easiest advice I think I saw was to use an external SCSI CDROM. For whatever reason it seems to be easier for the Amiga to use but I'm not 100% sure why that is.

nblsavage
June 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Just double checked the jumper settings, and yes it's terminated. I even changed it's SCSI id to make sure it wasn't conflicting somehow and it wasn't. It still hangs anytime I put in a cd.
Guess the next step is yank the drive, shove my old PC SCSI card in a box and see if it works there.