PDA

View Full Version : MFM + IDE in 486 machine

SunDown79
June 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Has anyone here installed both an IDE and MFM controller + disks in a 486 ?
And if so, what controller cards, motherboard etc did you use + settings ?

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
You'd need an IDE controller and BIOS that can run off a secondary I/O port address, as there's an addressing conflict between MFM and IDE controllers in their usual default configuration.

If you need to run an IDE with some other type of disk drive, you're pretty much limited to SCSI on older machines.

SunDown79
June 9th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Can't u keep the IDE controller in the normal mode and put the MFM controller on a different address ?

modem7
June 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM
See http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showpost.php?p=58012&postcount=12
That's when I did an experiment which revealed to me that I could get both an MFM and IDE drive working as C: and D: in one of my Pentium machines.

SunDown79
June 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Cool, but wouldn't it be cooler to do it the otherway around, be able to boot from a modern IDE drive AND also access the MFM drive ? I have quite a few MFM controllers that can switch from address and you can also change the drive number on the drive itself (perhaps my presumptions are wrong but that combination makes me believe that it should be possible).

My original idea for this post was actually to see what setups people have used that work, and in what way it would work.

Marrr
June 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Once upon a time I actually did it, exactly on a 486.
The MFM controller was some XT one, with its own BIOS.
But there was conflict between the controller BIOS, and the HDD support in the mobo BIOS.
So the solution was to set the HDD type in mobo BIOS setup to "None", boot off the MFM disk, and load some driver - "3drives" or something like that, the IDE HDD was handled by that driver...