PDA

View Full Version : Pdp-8/l

dorkbert
June 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Well, if somebody is interested, there's a DEC PDP-8/L on fleaBay --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180367591215

Disclaimer - not affiliated with seller or fleaBay. Just saw it as a rather... uncommon antique.

NeXT
June 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
where are all the flip chips? There is almost nothing in it.

pontus
June 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
where are all the flip chips? There is almost nothing in it.

Indeed! It has the core memory still, I'm guessing the green cards are the memory drivers and sense/inhibit boards, but there is not much else left.

NeXT
June 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Indeed! It has the core memory still, I'm guessing the green cards are the memory drivers and sense/inhibit boards, but there is not much else left.

This will be an interesting auction. I bet you that it will still fetch a small fortune.

pontus
June 11th, 2009, 01:40 AM
This will be an interesting auction. I bet you that it will still fetch a small fortune.

certainly, given that people buy front panels for several hundred dollars, core memory for several hundred dollars and that a pdp8/e went for more than a thousand dollars just now.

What tickled my funny bone is that the auction text stresses that the system does not come with a key!! well, that the least of your problems :)

NeXT
June 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Just watch that really poor description sucker a still wet-behind-the-ears collector into thinking he's getting a hell of a deal on a PDP-8
Though, I wonder if you could integrate one of the SBC PDP-8's into this unit....

Sharkonwheels
June 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Just watch that really poor description sucker a still wet-behind-the-ears collector into thinking he's getting a hell of a deal on a PDP-8
Though, I wonder if you could integrate one of the SBC PDP-8's into this unit....

Down boy....go easy...that's a personal friend of mine selling that, and he's an honest person.

He called me last night to let me know he had acquired a PDP/8.

Knows nothing about them (as I) and doesn't claim to know.

I HARDLY doubt that starting an auction at $0.99, with NO RESERVE, is considered "suckering" anyone. In an auction like this, the BUYERS set the price.

Plenty of pictures for a buyer to make up their own mind.
Most sellers don't even go to the TROUBLE to take 20 friggin' pictures, myself included :eek:

T

chuckcmagee
June 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yep, it is a great listing as far as I was concerned. I obtained a better understanding of just what a " flip chip " is and why they are the shape they are from those great pictures.

I love being suckered on ebay for 0.99!!! I keep getting great old DOS machines for around $10.00 that way.

Sharkonwheels
June 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yep, it is a great listing as far as I was concerned. I obtained a better understanding of just what a " flip chip " is and why they are the shape they are from those great pictures.

I love being suckered on ebay for 0.99!!! I keep getting great old DOS machines for around $10.00 that way.

That's the friend that had the recycling company down here, but he sold half the company to someone else, and moved to LA to start another one.

I got SO MUCH stuff from him, it isn't even funny!

He was also the one I was referring to in the IIc thread, that got the contract with the school boards here to dispose of the II's and older macs.
This was 10 years ago, mind you...

When he called me a couple nights ago about the PDP, I told him to sit on it for about 6-12 mos, as prices are in a slump right now due to the recession. But I think he's short on space, and needed to move it.

T