PDA

View Full Version : IBM Eduquest 35

cgrape2
June 13th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hi all!I recently unearthed an IBM Eduquest 35 "All in One".I don't quite know how to access the system board.I received a Model 25 manual with it(SCORE!) but it's instructions for this task didn't work as the Model 35 has a different looking setup.
So,anyone have any experience with one of these beasts?
Thanks in advance!
cgrape2:p

IBMMuseum
June 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
...I recently unearthed an IBM Eduquest 35 "All in One". I don't quite know how to access the system board.I received a Model 25 manual with it(SCORE!) but it's instructions for this task didn't work as the Model 35 has a different looking setup. So,anyone have any experience with one of these beasts?

There are four screws on the back of the ¨tray¨ that release it to pull out. You can detatch the power and video cables to separate the tray, but it generally provides enough workspace when fully back. I´ve got just shy of 20 units of the EduQuest 35s myself.

cgrape2
June 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Okay the two screws at the bottom of the back and the two that are about even with the power connection?Those other two are the only ones I see.
I'll give that a go and thanks!
cgrape2

cgrape2
June 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Ok,found the third screw,I missed it earlier.:(
The guts are now available for viewing.Thanks again for the help!
cgrape2

cgrape2
June 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I am also looking for more information on the "Options" that I see places for on the MB.Also has anyone ever bput a CD-Rom in one of these,It should be possible,as it uses IDE.
cgrape2

NeXT
June 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I am also looking for more information on the "Options" that I see places for on the MB.Also has anyone ever bput a CD-Rom in one of these,It should be possible,as it uses IDE.
cgrape2

Just google image search the eduquest 35 and one of the first units you see has a cd drive in it. It's quite possible, you just got to persuade DOS to work with it.

cgrape2
June 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I'm not entirely clueless,just knowledge challenged!I was hoping someone with specific knowledge would be able to fill me in.
I figure that a slow CD-ROM should be able to work with Win3.1(with the right drivers!)
cgrape2

linuxlove
June 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I have some DOS based CD drivers staht will work for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, if you want them. I can make image dumps real fast of the diskettes if you need them.

strollin
June 20th, 2009, 06:02 AM
No experience with the model 35, but I have a Model 55. If you haven't already found it, this site has some information: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/wct/ps2/eduquest.htm

Tiberian Fiend
June 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm not entirely clueless,just knowledge challenged!I was hoping someone with specific knowledge would be able to fill me in.
I figure that a slow CD-ROM should be able to work with Win3.1(with the right drivers!)
cgrape2

Any speed CD-ROM drive should work. You might even be able to get away with using a CD-RW drive as a CD-ROM drive.

IIRC, Win3.1 installs its own CD-ROM drivers, so no need for that.

If you don't have a sound card in your computer, you might consider getting a Backpack external CD-ROM drive. They have a built-in sound card and speaker, and are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

modem7
June 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM
IIRC, Win3.1 installs its own CD-ROM drivers, so no need for that.
From a Window 95 book I have: "The new 32-bit protected-mode CD-ROM drivers replace the real mode MSCDEX driver ..."
That suggests that in the days of Windows 3.1, only DOS drivers for CD-ROMs were available (which Windows 3.1 used).

If you don't have a sound card in your computer, you might consider getting a Backpack external CD-ROM drive. They have a built-in sound card and speaker, and are cheap and plentiful on eBay.
Note that for some models of the Backpack external CD-ROM drive, the sound card was not supplied (the slot is there but no card fitted).

Tiberian Fiend
June 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
From a Window 95 book I have: "The new 32-bit protected-mode CD-ROM drivers replace the real mode MSCDEX driver ..."
That suggests that in the days of Windows 3.1, only DOS drivers for CD-ROMs were available (which Windows 3.1 used).
I don't remember ever having to install drivers, but I did a test install of 3.1 and you're right. Generic DOS drivers shouldn't be too hard to come by. See here. (http://oldfiles.org.uk/powerload/cdrom.htm)

Note that for some models of the Backpack external CD-ROM drive, the sound card was not supplied (the slot is there but no card fitted).

Something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsolutions-Backpack-8x-External-CD-ROM-Drive-166700_W0QQitemZ200351389715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC _Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item2ea5df9813&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) will do. Be sure you get one with an AC adapter included (the linked one does not). You might be able to get away with using a universal adapter if you already have one, provided it supplies 18v.

MaTel
June 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
For DOS with CDROM-drives ( yes you need DOS-drivers for Win 3.1 ) I use the CDROM drivers that comes with the Install-Disk of Windows 98. I think it's called oakcdrom.
This driver works fine with most of the ide-cdrom drives.

cgrape2
June 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
No experience with the model 35, but I have a Model 55. If you haven't already found it, this site has some information: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/wct/ps2/eduquest.htm

I had not unearthed that link,thanks so much!:biggrin:
cgrape2