PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 2000 hard drive issue

nblsavage
June 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ok, I've got an A2091 with a 1 GB IBM DPES-31080 drive on board. It was working fine until I decided that whoever originally partitioned it didn't leave enough room on the first partition. So I used the WB 3.1 install disks and HDToolbox to split the drive in half, and it created DH0 and DH1 which I formatted and then installed WB 3.1 on DH0. The install seemed to work fine, until I rebooted and the HD wasn't detected. When I tried to repartition again it threw up an error message about the drive changing (unfortunately my reflexes got the better of me and I closed it before really reading it). I went through the repartitioning again and then the SCSI bus locked up (steady light) and I couldn't do anything else. Now the A2000 won't boot as long as the drive is attached (same thing - steady light).

Any suggestions at all?

Unknown_K
June 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
What kickstart does the 2000 have?

Do you have another machine you can format the drive on to test it?

nblsavage
June 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Kickstart 40.63 and no I don't have another system I can hook the drive to here, was going to take it to work and try to reformat it w/FAT16 on one of the SCSI machines there.

Unknown_K
June 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Some 2091 units have issues with 1GB HDs or larger (depends on your ROM version on the card). You might be able to use the HD only after it is formatted on another amiga.

I would just test it on another computer and format over it, then stick it back on the 2000 and try it again if it worked on the other machine.

My 2091 has a 1GB or larger drive using 6.6 ROMs I think, I am using kickstart 2.x I think.

nblsavage
June 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Some 2091 units have issues with 1GB HDs or larger (depends on your ROM version on the card). You might be able to use the HD only after it is formatted on another amiga.

I would just test it on another computer and format over it, then stick it back on the 2000 and try it again if it worked on the other machine.

My 2091 has a 1GB or larger drive using 6.6 ROMs I think, I am using kickstart 2.x I think.

I have no idea how this drive was originally set up, so the possibility is there that it was set up on another Amiga. Guess I should have left it alone. I've got the drive reformatted and will try to set it up one more time. I went ahead and bought a 500MB drive off Fleabay just in case.

nblsavage
June 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I have no idea how this drive was originally set up, so the possibility is there that it was set up on another Amiga. Guess I should have left it alone. I've got the drive reformatted and will try to set it up one more time. I went ahead and bought a 500MB drive off Fleabay just in case.

Well, this time I was very careful to set up the partitions correctly and it still failed. I guess you were right and this 2091 can't handle it. Oh well.

MaTel
June 21st, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hello, I use the A590 with my Amiga 500 ( same Hardware as A2091 for Amiga 2000 ) with a IBM DCAS... 2GB and it works fine.

Do you have "aktivate" the boot-partition with HDToolbox? Without this Option the Amiga can't boot from the HD.