PDA

View Full Version : power light blinking then nothing

billdeg
June 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hi - I have an A2000 that I just got this weekend from a friend to check out. I was able to boot and get into the hard drive. After about 15 minutes the power light started to blink and then the system froze. When I powered off and on again, no screen output, just the fan.

This is the on-board battery, right?

There is no corrosion surrounding the battery, I checked thoroughly before powering on. I do have a replacement battery to install and that's what I plan to do next. I have less experience with Amigas than other types of machines, and I am looking to see if anyone has ever had this series of symptoms before.

Bill

cosam
June 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
IIRC the battery is only for the RTC - it should still run fine without it. Does the power LED still flash now as it did?

billdeg
June 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have been doing some reading. This sytem has a lot of add-on components. A Video Toaster, Flickr Fixer, an accelerator chip, all kinds of stuff. The issue may be an incorrect video or someting like that.

I went back after an hour and tried again, I was able to get in, but then after a little while the system froze. Restart and it did not respond.

I think that there is more to it than just a possible battery. I better do some research.

cosam
June 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Yep, sounds like something a bit more involved. Maybe pulling some of the add-ons will help narrow it down some.

The flashing power LED usually accompanys a Guru Meditation or at least some kind of crash. It is however remarkable that it runs again after being powered off for a while. Maybe some kind of thermal intermittance?

billdeg
June 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I reseated the controller cards. I was able to use the system for over an hour and it kept working. I even updated the time/date and the system held after power down/restart. I will keep an eye on the battery though, I assume it will die soon, but it may have been replaced as late as 1998. This was definitely a video graphics simulation system of some sort. Something to do with traffic control in cities. pretty cool actually. I had a VGA monitor hooked up to it.

Bill