PDA

View Full Version : 80's ZIP & SPLIT

Rolf
March 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Guys are there any File Zippers and File Splitters from the 80's.
Cheers.

Terry Yager
March 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
PKZip was very popular in the late 80s. Download filename PKZ204G.EXE from your favorite DOS shareware site. (Files that are too large will be split among more than one floppy).

--T

joe sixpack
March 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM
hmm zippers from 80's well im not sure but i think was'nt there some big
deal about the arc format that lead to the zip format? or something
something about a law suite or some crap. if i remember right arc was not open
and if you wanted to use there format you had to pay. the dude that started pkzip really started with pkarc but after some legal crap came up with zip
and we now have pkzip but it being open you can make your own zip software without fear of lawsuite.
as far as i know zip wasnt around till 91 or so i think or maybe late 80's dont know really. but i am pretty sure pkzip was the first seeing as im pretty sure
they made zip however based on arc so i guess they would be the source to check.

filespitters have to have been around thats a vital tool! i can't name any
but i think i have one that runs in dos dont know if it requires a 386 or not.
if you need it i can send it to you just pm me other wise check out google.

EDIT:
DAMNIT Terry i spent 10mins typing that up only to have you beat me to it
hitting submit lol... guess i was wrong if you say there was zip 80's i will leave the post the way it is for all the word to see.

Rolf
March 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Joe,Terry First a quick story, then a coupla q?
The reason behind my request is an event some weeks ago.
A 12yo nephew saw my 5150 and asked "what is it?"
I told him. The Classic 80's PC . He checks it out. He's rapt!
Then the little SMARTASS :lol: says "it's running 90's stuff, how can it be a Classic 80's PC?"
(Examples DOS5(92), PKZIP204(93)(sorry Terry),WordPerfect Works(92)
The little Shit was right!
So I learned 2 things from that>
1)My perception of the 80's was compromised by convenience of use. His perception of the 80's was historically true!
2)I had found the "inheritor" of my PC!
Return to the 80's, became the Mission Critical. That's why I recently asked about DOS4 720K>360K. Thanx to your helps, I got DOS4 going!
So u see I now seek "True" 80's apps.
The q?'s
1)Joe, u mention a Filesplitter which u think is for a 386. Would a splitter of that era be so resource taxing, that it required such heaps of grunt?
2)Joe/Terry, am I ever likely to encounter 32bit software from the 80's?
Cheers Guys.

Jorg
March 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM
You could try the simtel archive:
http://www.eunet.bg/simtel.net/msdos/index-msdos.html

Terry Yager
March 31st, 2005, 08:05 AM
There were versions of PKZip earlier than 2.04G, not sure of exact dates tho. As pointed out, before that there were PKArc and even PKPak, as well as many compression utilities from other companies, some of which were PD/freeware. The first version of Zip that I remember as having the ability to split zipfiles and spread them over multiple floppies was 2.04G tho, but again, I could be wrong. As to 32-bit apps, I'm sure there must have been some as the '386 came out in the mid-80s. There are many good "Computer History" Timelines on daNet where the exact dates can be checked. One of them is here:

http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/hardware/comphist/comp1985.htm

--T

joe sixpack
March 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM
1)Joe, u mention a Filesplitter which u think is for a 386. Would a splitter of that era be so resource taxing, that it required such heaps of grunt?

Cheers Guys.

1. no i doubt it, however i said that because
i dont really use anything older then a 386 i mean i have my 5170 but it
just sit's there and looks pretty. i dont fire it up and do anything on it.
i did'nt want to say i had something that find out wont work,
if im not sure i always play it safe and say i dont know.

2. hmm i'd say i doubt it i mean as terry said there had to of been some
32bit software but while the 386 could use 32bit software it was not very good
at it. it made a much better replacment as a beefy 286 then a whole other animal.
486 on the other hand kicked the living crap out of a 386.
some cases as high as 100-150% faster. of course by then 32bit software was more common.

Micom 2000
April 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Among my hundreds of 5 1/4 mainly 360k disks, I'm sure I have some 80s compressors. I'm not sure whether Arc or LHA was first but I believe
they came out before PK. There was another very fast one, very proprietrary one whose name escapes me. Can't recall the name of the PKZip guy but IIRC he was quite a character. Simtel should have them.

Once I get caught up I have to go thru the Disks and will let you know what I have available. That will be a major task in itself.

Lawrence

Joe,Terry First a quick story, then a coupla q?
The reason behind my request is an event some weeks ago.
A 12yo nephew saw my 5150 and asked "what is it?"
I told him. The Classic 80's PC . He checks it out. He's rapt!
Then the little SMARTASS :lol: says "it's running 90's stuff, how can it be a Classic 80's PC?"
(Examples DOS5(92), PKZIP204(93)(sorry Terry),WordPerfect Works(92)
The little Shit was right!
So I learned 2 things from that>
1)My perception of the 80's was compromised by convenience of use. His perception of the 80's was historically true!
2)I had found the "inheritor" of my PC!
Return to the 80's, became the Mission Critical. That's why I recently asked about DOS4 720K>360K. Thanx to your helps, I got DOS4 going!
So u see I now seek "True" 80's apps.
The q?'s
Cheers Guys.

barryp
May 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Can't recall the name of the PKZip guy but IIRC he was quite a character.

If I remember correctly (and I think I do), the "PKZip guy" was Phil Katz or some similar spelling of his name. Before that he might have been called the "PKArc guy", he wrote PKARC but then SEA (System Enhancement Associates?) sued him for an undisclosed sum of money. (They owned the ARC format?)

After he lost that lawsuit he created the ZIP format and the rest is history.

Terry Yager
May 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM
Going back even further, CP/M had it's share of compression utils, including sQueeze, Crunch, and Ark (with a K), among others, so I have to believe that there were DOS compressors right from the very beginning of the PC. I don't remember any file splitters for DOS at that point, but there were some that ran under UNIX, so it probably didn't take long to port these to MSDOS when it came along. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, but it seems likely.

--T

patscc
May 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey, here's a thought. What would y'all consider splitters/compressors written today, but adhering to the rules of pre-90's DOS,BIOS and the general computing know-how of the time?
Or, for that matter, in general, programs that are written now, but targeted to "vintage'" platforms ? Do they qualify, or should there be a different terminology for them, or what ?
patscc

joe sixpack
May 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Hey, here's a thought. What would y'all consider splitters/compressors written today, but adhering to the rules of pre-90's DOS,BIOS and the general computing know-how of the time?
Or, for that matter, in general, programs that are written now, but targeted to "vintage'" platforms ? Do they qualify, or should there be a different terminology for them, or what ?
patscc

everyone has there own policy but for me im gonna run anything i CAN run
i dont care if it was written last night. a program called "FIRM" was written
i think 1999 i use it a lot it reads/writes floppy images. hardware wise same
thing i have no bones about sticking in newer hardware into a older machine
just because i was made in 86 dont mean it's gotta live in 86. of course to each there own.