PDA

View Full Version : DEC Vaxstation 4000/60 CD-ROM drive?

posix_memalign
June 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi,
I have a Vaxstation 4000/60 that I'd like to install VMS on. I've always wanted to play around some with real VMS and finally I have a computer I can do this on, however I don't have a floppy disk drive nor a CD-ROM drive for it.

Does anyone know what kind of device it needs and where I can get it?

Sharkonwheels
June 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think you might need one of those goofy Sun/SGI/DEC SCSI drives- DEC would be like an RRD-42 or RRD-43. You need something( I think this is it) that can boot from 2048 byte sectors. Toshiba XM-4102 will also do, as well I think the older IBM RS6000 CDROM's.

On my VS /60 and /90 I had way back when, I used an external RRD-42, as well as an OEM Toshiba external SCSI, which needed 2 pads soldered, but it was REALLY simple, and accessible without taking anything apart.

T

cosam
June 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
You need something( I think this is it) that can boot from 2048 byte sectors.
I believe the limitation is that you need a drive that can do 512-byte sectors, 2048 bytes being the norm.

It should also be possible to boot from the network, although you'd then of course need to set up a boot server.

marmotking
June 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Here's some good information for CD-ROMs on the VAXen. It's incomplete, as I have used other drives just fine, but this is a great starting point. Some of the Toshiba drives are easy to find and cheap and work very well. In fact, I believe that some of them were what DEC sold as their own branded drives:

http://sites.inka.de/pcde/dec-cdrom-list.txt

I've also found that the CD-ROM support in VMS is better than in the console BIOS. Sometimes I can't boot/install from a CD-ROM drive but then after VMS is installed (using a different drive) the original works fine under VMS. I've had good luck with some of the Apple external SCSI drives, but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

I usually get my 50-pin SCSI drives at local electronics recyclers or on e-bay.

Sharkonwheels
June 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
That would probably be the 300e and 600e.
i've squirreled away a couple of each, as these are the ones (mostly) needed for a proper A/UX installation.

T

Soupwizard
July 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I have a Vaxstation 4000/60 that I'd like to install VMS on. I've always wanted to play around some with real VMS and finally I have a computer I can do this on, however I don't have a floppy disk drive nor a CD-ROM drive for it.

Does anyone know what kind of device it needs and where I can get it?

I had good luck with plextor 50pin scsi drives, they have a jumper to use 512 byte blocks. I think I used 6x or 8x drive - can't remember if the ultraplex 32x worked.

rjarratt
July 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I believe the limitation is that you need a drive that can do 512-byte sectors, 2048 bytes being the norm.

It should also be possible to boot from the network, although you'd then of course need to set up a boot server.

You could set up a SIMH simulation as your boot server, I did this to get VMS onto my MicroVAX II.