PDA

View Full Version : Big Blue Reader

phogren
June 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
In my recent "haul" I have a copy of Big Blue Reader. It's Big Blue Reader 128 and Big Blue Reader 64 (Yes a flippie). It's complete with original disk and documentation. It says V3.1 for the 128 and v2.0 for the 64. My 128 is down right down but I tried it on my 64 with a 1571. IT does let you read MSDOS 360K disks. It won't format MSDOS with the 64 version but supposedly it will with the 128 version. It also is supposed to work with the 1581. I didn't try moving any files.
If someone here would like it, give me an offer I can't refuse. Always open to trades. need:
1/2 height 5 1/4 in drives
C128 power supply
kaypro parts (All but specifically Kaypro 10 or 16)
C128D Keyboard

Raven
June 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sounds cool. Do you have a way to image it? I'd like to get a logical copy of it, and I could get it on a disk for myself easily. I only really need the 64 version, but if you had the capacity to image either, I'd like both (in case I get a C128 in the future).

If you have no capacity to image it, I'll consider a trade, as I have many 5.25" floppy drives.

phogren
June 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Well I'm real familar with cp/m and dos images. What is the process for CBM images?

Raven
June 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
There are a few ways, basically you need an I/O for the C64 that is compatible with your PC, or a way to hook a C64 drive up to your PC. I have a parallel port to C64 serial bus converter, and I hook a 1541 up to my PC and image the disks directly. You could also use a Datasette to record the program to audio by loading it into RAM, then saving it with a non-argumented save command, though this might not work with every program. Once on an audio cassette, you could play it into an uncompressed sound file on your PC, and reverse the process to get it back onto a C64. I don't have a Datasette, but hopefully will soon.

However, since this program happens to be one that allows you to read DOS filesystems on the C64, you could simply load the program into RAM, use it to access an MS-DOS formatted disk, and then write the program onto that disk. :D You can then stick the disk in any PC with a 5.25" drive, and image the disk that way. If you send the resulting image file to me, I can get it repackaged into a proper .d64 image file in C64 format, using my tools. :)

I'd recommend the second method, but assuming you don't have a 5.25" PC drive (by your request for some), you could hook the C64 drive up to the PC as a PC drive possibly, after taking it out of it's case, as I THINK it has the same connections. This would allow you to read/write standard PC formats, as the drive is more than capable of that. The audio method is really a last-ditch effort, as it will be low quality, and I also don't have a Datasette to work with yet, so that will make it more difficult to convert it (though it's still possible).

I'd recommend an adapter from CBM serial to PC parallel for anyone who uses a C64 for more than 5 minutes, really, because it makes life so much easier, and costs about $20, not much.

phogren
June 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
There are a few ways, basically you need an I/O for the C64 that is compatible with your PC, or a way to hook a C64 drive up to your PC. I have a parallel port to C64 serial bus converter, and I hook a 1541 up to my PC and image the disks directly. You could also use a Datasette to record the program to audio by loading it into RAM, then saving it with a non-argumented save command, though this might not work with every program. Once on an audio cassette, you could play it into an uncompressed sound file on your PC, and reverse the process to get it back onto a C64. I don't have a Datasette, but hopefully will soon.

However, since this program happens to be one that allows you to read DOS filesystems on the C64, you could simply load the program into RAM, use it to access an MS-DOS formatted disk, and then write the program onto that disk. :D You can then stick the disk in any PC with a 5.25" drive, and image the disk that way. If you send the resulting image file to me, I can get it repackaged into a proper .d64 image file in C64 format, using my tools. :)

I'd recommend the second method, but assuming you don't have a 5.25" PC drive (by your request for some), you could hook the C64 drive up to the PC as a PC drive possibly, after taking it out of it's case, as I THINK it has the same connections. This would allow you to read/write standard PC formats, as the drive is more than capable of that. The audio method is really a last-ditch effort, as it will be low quality, and I also don't have a Datasette to work with yet, so that will make it more difficult to convert it (though it's still possible).

I'd recommend an adapter from CBM serial to PC parallel for anyone who uses a C64 for more than 5 minutes, really, because it makes life so much easier, and costs about $20, not much.
I couldn't get it to work right this PM. I think the problem is my 64 is acting up. I'll try again tomorrow.