PDA

View Full Version : AT&T 3B1phone ?

leaknoil
June 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Because searching for anything with AT&T and phone is an exercise in futility I bring you the 3B1phone. Anyone know what this is ?

It appears to be Z80 based which kind of ruins the whole 3B1 vibe. It has an gel based touch screen which is fun for a bit till you realize how unreliable it appears to work. Has a built in directory, time manager, calculator, and terminal program. I was unable to get the terminal to work with the Sun I tried even though I could set it correctly in the settings screen. Might use strange wiring. Just looking at the parts involved and when this was made this must have been one freakishly expensive phone.

A manual would be nice but, I sort of need to know what it is first. I got it from ex-engineer that said they were evaluating them for Canadian telecom or something. Its got no markings on it at all other then this label on the motherboard.

Chuck(G)
June 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I take it that there's a real 3B1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3b1#AT.26T_3B1) under it all somewhere?

Could that be a VoicePower card? There are a few of them still out there, answering the phone for collectors.

leaknoil
June 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I take it that there's a real 3B1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3b1#AT.26T_3B1) under it all somewhere?

Could that be a VoicePower card? There are a few of them still out there, answering the phone for collectors.

I think it just looks like a 3B1. That's actually what made me buy it. I thought maybe it was a 3B1 with the voice card and a built in phone. Something AT&T had packaged. The 3B1 used a 68K though. This puppy is Z80 based.

There is only the one motherboard. No drive or drive connectors either. It looks like you could plug in a ROM cartridge containing data. I had one but, I think I killed it. It didnt seem to contain any info anyway.

I should add this appears to have come from Convergent Technologies. They are the people that designed the UnixPC for ATT. Has a business card for them taped to the top and handwritten tag on the side with their name and a number. This could be some odd prototype but, the motherboard is obviously not a prototype. I cant see them getting to a rev G prototype.

Chuck(G)
June 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's supposed to attach to a 3B1 somehow?

I remember Convergent - they had the Workslate--I could have picked one up new for $50 when they axed the project.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

leaknoil
June 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Maybe it's supposed to attach to a 3B1 somehow?

I remember Convergent - they had the Workslate--I could have picked one up new for $50 when they axed the project.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Some of the menu options are odd too. Looks like you can set it to auto answer on a certain number of rings. Auto answer and do what ? There is no internal storage. Only a serial port and two phone connections for outs.

I can't figure out what it might possible do when it picked up the phone. There is no voice mail functions and no storage for storing outgoing or ingoing messages.

The rom cartridge I have only contains a single hn27256. I guess it could hold a outgoing message. It also says "Return Back to R&D". I manged to reverse the cabling to it so, they may not want it back now.

chuckcmagee
June 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Yes, I see those on ebay from time to time. The same phone thing you have. I never did manage to get the 3B1 that someone was giving away on here. He moved to Florida and stopped answering all emails. Bummer as I love all that Unix stuff. Not that I have anywhere to put it now anyway.

leaknoil
June 29th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I used to use a 3B1 as a answering machine back in the 90's. Its was fun. Just annoyed the wife though.

Chuck(G)
June 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I used to use a 3B1 as a answering machine back in the 90's. Its was fun. Just annoyed the wife though.

That was one of the advertised uses of the Toshiba Infinia PC ca. 1997--that, and a FAX machine, TV set, CD player...

How many microwatts did your setup consume?

leaknoil
June 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
That was one of the advertised uses of the Toshiba Infinia PC ca. 1997--that, and a FAX machine, TV set, CD player...

How many microwatts did your setup consume?

Not nearly as much as the Sun 3/280 with dual IPI drives that I left running 24/7. The drives alone were the size of Volkswagen engines and shook the whole house as they spun up.

Because I lived over a commercial property they had electricity included in the rent. I guess they didn't want to pay to separate it. I remember one day over hearing the landlord and the downstairs commercial tenant going at it in the parking lot. They were arguing over how much the electricity bill had increased in the last couple months. I quickly ducked back in the house.

Yzzerdd
June 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Not nearly as much as the Sun 3/280 with dual IPI drives that I left running 24/7. The drives alone were the size of Volkswagen engines and shook the whole house as they spun up.

Go on....

Also, awesome phone! I've got an AT&T cataloge somewhere that I got with one of my PC 6300 systems, but it mentions that phone in there. Its listed as being either the AT&T Personal Terminal 510D or 510A, the latter seems more likely.

"The 510A brings high-performance voice and data communications to nearly anyone who uses an anaolg telephone. It has a two-line (analog) capacity with conference and hold, a built-in 300/1200 baud modem and an integrated speakerphone. Provides an EIA RS-232 interface."

If it is indeed the 510A, it is "designed to operate in conjunction with analog voice systems such as the DIMENSION PBX, Centrex, System 25, or anywhere a 2500-type set can be used. It can also operate using a System 75 or System 85 anaolg. However, use of two telephone lines is required for concurrent access to voice and date information. It's digital counterpart, the 510D is designed to take advantage of digital capabilities of System 75 and 85."

If your system is a 510D, then the following applies:

"The enhanced 510D Personal Terminal offers fast, incredibly easy access to a broad base of information and it does it with one gentle touch on AT&T's patented soft-touch screen. Today, there isn't a faster, fmore efficient way to handle your business, without a PC."

According to my magazine, it has "Touch Targets" to access a myriad of System 75/85 programmable features and support screens such as directiory, phone, data, time, calculator, and more. Also, one-touch log-in to in-house and remote databases. ANSI 3.64 Command structure supported , and has programmable function keys, as well as a parallel printer port, RS-232C EIA port, all while being AT&T 513 and VT100 compatible.

Pricing

#3701-010 (510A) $495
AT&T installation (optional) $65
512 Family Keyboard and Garage $100
AT&T Installation (optional) $15

#3750-512 (510D) $1795
AT&T installation (optional) $65
512 Family Keyboard and Garage $100
AT&T Installation (optional) $15

NOTE--A keyboard for the 510 line is completely optional. Both operate on standard 100-120 VAC outlets.

--Ryan

leaknoil
June 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

I bet its the 510D. Sounds exactly like it. Any info about the data screen in there ? I'm confused if its a terminal tied to the modem or the serial port ? It would make for a cool terminal if I could get it working. I don't even have a land line phone anymore so, not much I can play with there.

My brief experiments didn't manage to get anything to display on the terminal after plugging various things into the serial port. Lot of printer functions so perhaps its actually only used for printing and not input.

Yzzerdd
June 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well, looking at the cataloge, the RS-232C port is listed under "Key Advantages, Data." So perhaps the RS-232C port is designed to hook to a system to use its terminal function. On the other hand, it says it can log in to remote databases, requiring a modem, and it'd be stupid to have to attach a modem to the serial port when it's got one built in. So it seems to me like the RS-232 port is for in-home uses, and the modem for remote use. But, at the same time, like any other terminal, I'm sure you could hook a modem to the serial port and dial-out like that, too. But realisticly, the internal modem is for that. And if it has more than one line, perhaps it could be hooked to a database on one and voice on the other.

The only thing noted about the touch screen is that it is AT&T's patented soft-touch. Also, it does say you can "Access every Message Center Service in one Soft-touch: Retrieve or delete messages, return call, and more." That feature though may require either a remote storage location, or an external in-home device like a PC or perhaps even hard drive connected via serial port.

You know, looking at the cataloge, cartridges and storage are mentioned serveral times together. Maybe it uses cartridge-based storage. There are several features you could buy on cartridge, and some requiring a cartridge. Also, a training cartridge was included with the system, as was the function key cartridge.

--Ryan

leaknoil
June 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Actually upon further reading I suppose mine must be a 510a since it just has the normal POTS lines.

I found reference to a 'Directory', "Teach Me', and 'Password' cartridges. Mine had some R&D cartridge that doesn't seem to work anymore if it ever did.

The gel touch screen is really odd. I'm not sure if mine is defective or its the nature of the thing but, its starts out hardly working at all then gets better as the system warms up.

Yzzerdd
June 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Seems to me they are both very similar, but the 510D is for the more expensive digital systems. Either way, great find, im rather jealous. I'm sure the touch screen has seen better days, and probably used to work fine cold. But hey, its getting old, so its normal to expect that it needs to warm up a bit.

--Ryan

vhaas
December 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I used to have a 510D on my desk. It hooked to the digital PBX and would handle things like caller-ID (new at the time). The terminal function would allow me to access a modem bank for dialing out to a remote computer system. They had the unfortunate habit of failing after a power outage; the power supply didn't handle spikes well at all.

-- mark ;)

Securix
December 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I saw this thing on ebay not long ago and was thinking about buying it exactly because it looks like a mutant 3B1. But I already have way too much 3B1/7300 stuff and it starts to take up a lot of room, so I decided to pass on it. Glad someone here got it, though.