PDA

View Full Version : LowerBucks User Group Archive

billdeg
July 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have started archiving and uploading the entire collection of diskettes from the Lower Bucks County C64 User Group, a club based near where MOS and Commodore once operated in Pennsylvania USA. This archive is a glimpse into a pre-WWW electronic community. When I am done the entire collection of disks, starting from #16 (Jan 1986) through December 1991 will be available. I have uploaded so far the first three years. To use these disks, you will need a way to download and extract D64 (C-64 disk images). If anyone has disks 1-15 I would greatly appreciate D64 copies if they're available.

http://vintagecomputer.net/commodore/64/LowerBucksUserGroup/

LUG also had a companion BBS, presumably where this archive would have been available. I am unsure if anyone in our group was a member of LUG back then...anyone?

The disk archive also contains a large number of Compute! and Compute! Gazette disks which I will also upload. These disk images can be found elsewhere now, but I will upload these in the event that there were customizations specific to this group.

Because these were public domain disks, I have not protected the directory, and you don't need an account on my site to download the files.

VintageComputerman
July 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
...a club based near where MOS and Commodore once operated in Pennsylvania USA

Where abouts exactly in PA? That would be a great area to target for finding old computers in peoples attic and basements.

billdeg
July 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
West Chester PA and the western Philadelphia area. Lower Bucks County is west of Philadelphia, and north of West Chester, nearer to MOS. Commodore/MOS central was in simple terms route 1 from the Maryland border through to the PA turnpike. I live in Chester County, PA 15 miles south of where Commodore was headquartered.

I considered exploring for the fabled dump containing the discarded Commodore P500's, but I am not that crazy yet. IF they exist I believe they are on route 322, which intersects with Rte 100 in West Chester.

I reach out to the older user groups if they still exist. For example I gave a talk to the Philadelphia Area Computer Society in May
http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=236

IBM also had a strong presence in Delaware/Phila area, and there are a ton of IBM systems to be found on craigslist and happenstance.

If you're looking for vintage computers in my area, you will not be dissapointed if you check the New Castle Flea Market off rt 13 in NewCastle Delaware, about 10 minutes from downtown Wilmington.

Bill