PDA

View Full Version : Asante EN-SC SCSI-Ethernet Adapter Trouble

Raven
July 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I have a PowerMac 5260/120, 32MB RAM, running System 7.6

I want this to get onto my Ethernet network, and I recently attained a bunch of stuff for doing that. I hooked an EN-SC, which is a SCSI-Ethernet adapter, up to the SCSI port of the Mac, and installed the drivers. I then rebooted, and all input stopped working (keys & mouse button) except the cursor movement. Even if you disconnect the device, the input is broken until a reboot. If you boot the machine without the device, things are fine, and if you hook it up afterwards, it errors when you try to switch to EtherTalk, and reverts to LocalTalk.

I don't know how to fix this. I've emailed their support, but who knows if they can/will help, as this is an old device. It was brand new in shrink wrap, so there's nothing wrong with it. I'm a bit nubby with Mac, so perhaps I'm just missing something.

Thanks.

Edit: Update: I tried my other PowerMac, and a second EN-SC device, both to no avail. As a side note, the macs don't seem to pick up the device when I plug the SCSI cable into the other port, but they don't have the issues that way either. Odd.

bear
July 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Does the EN-SC driver even support PowerPC? I thought they were intended for machines like the Plus.

Raven
July 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It doesn't complain in any way when I install it.. I don't know. I'm a total nub with Macs. The floppy for the drivers is dated 1994 if that helps any.

Sharkonwheels
July 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
As I recall, those things stopped working after MacOS 7.1 or so.
I ended up tossing mine out like 10-12 years ago!

T

Raven
July 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Ah, so I could just downgrade my OS then? :P

Apparently SC on the Mac requires 7.6 or higher (end goal is to browse and play SC online on one of 'em). I don't have anything else that could hook up to these PowerMacs besides the SCSI cards. Mine came packaged with Systems 6 and 7 drivers, so I find it odd that a revision of 7 would throw them off..

bear
July 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The minimum OS for a 5260/120 is 7.5.3.

Raven
July 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I came across a different SCSI-Ethernet adapter, the Mini EN/SC 10T, and judging by the looks and miniaturization, I'd say it's newer. Anybody have info on this? I'll try it out next time I have my PowerMac plugged in.

gsteemso
July 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Interesting to hear someone else having the same sort of trouble. I have an ancient DaynaPORT SCSI/10bT Ethernet adapter which seems to have stopped working, though the LEDs do not appear to indicate a problem. I think having it hooked up on the same chain as a defective Zip drive may have fried its SCSI port… actually, now I'm wondering if I threw its corpse out in a moment of weakness. I can't seem to find it to tell you what model it was.

gsteemso
July 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Found it. It’s model DP0801. I have the drivers for it if anyone needs them.

lamani
September 14th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Hello, I need drivers for mini asante EN/SC in a floppy disk 800k for a Macintosh plus computer. Mi e-mail: carlos_lamani@telefonica.net

Raven
September 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
If ripping them using a PC and rawwrite will work I can get you an image, otherwise, sorry.

(on another note, I still never got a Mac working on a network - I just don't understand them... :( )

jonnymacuser
August 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I am also having trouble with the Asante EN/SC-10T with my Mac Plus. I can't get my machine to boot up with the Asante daisy chained to the SCSI external hard drive (I get the sad Mac face).

From Asante's manual <http://www.asante.com/downloads/legacy/desktenscug.pdf>, it says:

SCSI address on the EN/SC Adapter

The SCSI address on the EN/SC Adapter is fixed at 6 and cannot
be changed.

SCSI termination on the EN/SC Adapter

Since the DB25 SCSI port on the Asanté Desktop EN/SC Adapter
is internally terminated, the adapter must be the only SCSI device
you connect to the Macintosh. However, it may be one of several
devices in a SCSI daisy chain if the following guidelines are
adhered to:

• You must use a DB-25 to DB-50 SCSI cable — not the DB-25 to DB-25 SCSI cable included with the adapter — to add another device to the SCSI chain.

• The Desktop EN/SC Adapter must be placed at the end of the SCSI chain.

Here is a picture of my setup:

jonnymacuser
August 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Got the Mac Plus to boot! (it took removing the DB25 terminator plug on the Asante, the device is internally terminated!).

Here's the details of the daisy chain:

1. Mac Plus >>> DB25-Centronics 50 cable >>> external hard drive top SCSI port;

2. external hard drive bottom SCSI port >>> Centronics 50-DB-25 cable >>> Asante EN/SC-10T DB25 SCSI port (the one nearest the power plug-in); and

3. SCSI id of hard drive at 5, SCSI id of Asante at 2.

Al Kossow
August 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
does this model have a comm slot?
you would be MUCH better off using the comm slot ethernet card

RWallmow
August 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
does this model have a comm slot?
you would be MUCH better off using the comm slot ethernet card
Knowing the 5260 there IS a comm slot, all you need is one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Comm-Slot-820-0607-A-Ethernet-Card-630-0734-/200489641740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eae1d270c) (not my auction), its cheap, it just WORKS no driver support (its support is built into the OS). There's not much easier than configuring a comm slot Ethernet card.

AppleIIfan
August 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Yup id go with a comm slot ethernet card.. Cheap easy and effective. I use my DaynaPort E/Z for Macs that cant get an ethernet card, like my Plus, Classic and Classic II

RWallmow
August 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
....I use my DaynaPort E/Z for Macs that cant get an ethernet card, like my Plus, Classic and Classic II
Don't forget all the early portable/powerbooks too, the SCSI Ethernet devices are the only option there too.

AppleIIfan
August 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The DaynaPort E/Z is a Serial based Ethernet Adapter, so as long as you have a printer port/modem port your golden. Thats how I get my Color Classic Online with the 040 upgrade. It works nicely.

RWallmow
August 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
The DaynaPort E/Z is a Serial based Ethernet Adapter, so as long as you have a printer port/modem port your golden. Thats how I get my Color Classic Online with the 040 upgrade. It works nicely.Ah, I didn't know there were any serial based ones, I was thinking about my own, and the OP's EN/SC devices, they are SCSI based ethernet devices.

AppleIIfan
August 13th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Yup the DaynaPort E/Z's are the hard ones to find.. I was lucky at a university surplus sale and bought it for 2 bucks.. Brand new in the box.. It had been sitting on the shelf the last few years and I finally pulled it down and used it to get my Classic II Webserver online. I have the SCSI version too, but the serial one is much easier to configure

IBM Portable PC
September 9th, 2015, 12:37 PM
So, which is better, a DaynaPort SCSI to Ethernet or an Asante Mini EN SC?

I now have both, bought the Asante for $60 on eBay today and the DaynaPort several months ago for about the same.

ClassicHasClass
September 9th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I don't think you'll notice substantially better throughput with one over the other, but the Mini EN/SC is certainly more convenient.