PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this Case/computer

JettQ
July 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
New one here, from Prince Edward Island presently but shortly moving to Winnipeg, Canada. In preparing to move I discovered an old computer I used to use years ago and I wonder if it's of any value/use to anyone. I do not collect computers but have a strong aversion to trashing anything manufactured/engineered. I can hardly throw out nuts, bolts and washers.. yes, yes, I've heard of OCD. Anyway this computer is pretty old and I'm hoping someone might be good enough to help me identify what it is and let me know if it's useful or if I should indeed trash it. I've taken photos of it but don't know if I am supposed to post them here. Can someone advise please? Big thanks

linuxlove
July 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
post the pictures here and we will help. use the little paperclip to attach photos.

NathanAllan
July 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Or you can use Picasa by google, it's free. But definitely post them, we'll see if we can help.

JettQ
July 7th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for this. Here's the photos:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/JettQ/computerall.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/JettQ/computerback.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/JettQ/computerfront.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/JettQ/computerfront2.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/JettQ/computerfront3.jpg

84TAVeRT
July 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
it is just a pc clone... i built several with that case back in the early 90s...

probably a 386 or 486....

later,
Chris

JettQ
July 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Chris, all I needed to know. I'll send it to the scrapheap.

Anonymous Coward
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think Commodore PC was using this case on their 486 and Pentium multimedia systems just before they went under.

ahm
July 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Perfect case for an MP3 server ;)

linuxlove
July 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nooo.... don't send it to the scrapheap! it's not vintage by the forums standards, but older computers work great for playing old DOS games...

Chuck(G)
July 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'd love to find a case like that. Do it up in faux woodgrain...

Ole Juul
July 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Nice case. I agree with ahm - it would make a great player. Chuck(G)'s woodgrain idea is cool too. Anyway, before you know it, it'll be vintage. :)

nige the hippy
July 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I think it's seriously cute, I've not seen one like it anywhere. Upgrade the mothrboard, and use it as an alternative ghetto blaster.

Old Thrashbarg
July 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I dunno about 'cute'... I don't think it's a very pretty case, although it would probably look a lot better if it was cleaned up. Still, it's a very interesting case.

I'd kinda like to see how all those controls and ports are hooked up internally. Does it have some sort of separate controller board that hooks up to a normal sound card, or what?

lutiana
July 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Any one got the model and make of that computer?

I am looking for a 486 and I really like the potential of that case. I think it would look pretty damn good cleaned up. I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em.

NobodyIsHere
July 9th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Agree. That is a nice case. Shipping from Canada to Ohio would be pretty expensive though.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

barythrin
July 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
JettQ,

You could post it on our local marketplace page for whatever price without any listing charges unlike ebay, etc. I think it's a nice little case that someone may end up wanting. I love the voltage checks. I've seen some cool advanced cases before but never that hardcore.

As others have said, it could even be a nice multimedia system or just a classic gaming system (surprisingly even folks on ebay are getting to sell their older systems for a $50-$70 + shipping as an old dos gaming box). To be honest I'm surprised and should probably do the same for some of my non-collectible systems as well.

- John

Micom 2000
July 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Noo, Noo, don't junk it. I want it. I live northwest of Winnipeg and have a nephew there who I know would be willing to store it for me, or send it up here. I've sent you an e-mail.

And again. Welcome to Manitoba.

Lawrence

Micom 2000
July 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Haven't heard back from you. I'm an old musician and I find your machine interesting because of the possible mods. You can contact me by PM on this site or by e-mail.

Lawrence

Mad-Mike
July 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
That is one of the most awesome PC cases I've ever seen in my life. Right up there with the GEM 386. the fact there is an output meter for the speakers, and proper controls across the bottom for sound, makes it a really interesting case.

offensive_Jerk
July 22nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
That case is awesome! Did you already throw it away??

JettQ
March 5th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Fast forward five years - moved to Winnipeg, stored and forgot this computer (see pictures in this thread) and just found it again. I'd like to sell it if there's some value to it so if anyone is interested can you let me know? Thanks all.

Shadow Lord
March 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Fast forward five years - moved to Winnipeg, stored and forgot this computer (see pictures in this thread) and just found it again. I'd like to sell it if there's some value to it so if anyone is interested can you let me know? Thanks all.

Welcome back. I'd recommend posting it in the WTS forum to get the proper attention. Updated pictures would be nice and if you have done any testing (e.g. it powers up, it boots, etc...). Also if you can post the weight and dimensions of the case potential buyers can estimate a shipping cost. For anyone in the US I am guessing the five years that have passed would make shipping almost prohibitively expensive but you never know!

smeezekitty
March 10th, 2014, 07:49 AM
That thing is really cool. I agree shipping will be a lot but a collector may pay it

luvit
March 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM
That AT case is really cool. I normally would eat that up, but I have committed my cash elsewhere for awhile.

lutiana
March 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I'd still be interested if you're willing to ship to California.

orion24
March 11th, 2014, 07:00 AM
The case is very nice. Always loved cases that had 3 full digits to display the CPU clock.
Speaking of which this is more likely a late Pentium - Pentium-MMX machine, (judging from the 24x CD-ROM drive and the time these drives were sold). You'll need to take pictures from the mainboard for more info.