PDA

View Full Version : where is the z80 chip in a game gear

linuxlove
July 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
i opened up my sega game gear to try and fnid the z80 chip. there are 5 chips on the board, none of which look like a z80.

this first chip says:
SANYO
LC3664BML-10

the next chip is green and unmarked

the third chip says:
JAPAN 9328
65256BLFP-10T
0005299S

the fourth chip says:
SEGA
315-5682
942-IPX233

the fith chip is green and also unmarked.

linuxlove
July 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
aw rats

i just broke the brightness dial on my mainboard. anyone got a spare SGG mainboard?

cosam
July 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
The first is an SRAM and the ones labeled "Sega" are most likely custom chips. Either of the others have 40 pins?

i just broke the brightness dial on my mainboard. anyone got a spare SGG mainboard?
You mean you're not going to replace the dial? ;-)

linuxlove
July 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
well, one of the clips on the dial broke off. none of the chips also seem to have 40 pins.

cosam
July 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a different revision than the ones I've seen. Got a photo?

Starshadow
July 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
aw rats

That is very easy to do on the Game Gear. Its a fairly well built system, but it's not very forgiving if you open it. My guess is like the Gameboy, it uses a z80 clone instead of an actual Zilog z80, which would explain why the cpu is hard to identify.

NathanAllan
July 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Pics would be nice. Lemme check tomorrow, I'll see if I have a good mainboard.

linuxlove
July 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
another thing i wonder is if the SGG is region-free, because wikipedia says (and you never can trust wikipedia) that you can buy a SGG game from europe and it will work in a GG from the USA. is this true?

also, if anyone has spare rubber pads for the START, 1 and 2 buttons, i need one beacuse when i opened it, one went missing.

EDIT: never mind, i found it

barythrin
July 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure when region specific coding started. It's kind of a BS move IMO, just to get more money and kinda screws the consumer. I know it was probably meant as a way around us getting things that are already released overseas before they're released here and/or to prevent us buying it in Asia for a 4th of the price so someone here can make a bigger profit.

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal AFAIK with older stuff until game companies started using CDs and DVDs and the market went a bit less consumer friendly. Sorry if I ranted.. sore subject ;-)

cosam
July 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
another thing i wonder is if the SGG is region-free, because wikipedia says (and you never can trust wikipedia) that you can buy a SGG game from europe and it will work in a GG from the USA. is this true?
Yes, all Game Gears can run carts from any region.

NathanAllan
July 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, all Game Gears can run carts from any region.

I can confirm this, just ran a game from England in my GG.

linuxlove, I think I have parts for you. Yes, I do. PM me and I'll mail them to you.

Nathan

linuxlove
July 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
right, i'll talk it over with my mom.

on another note, i now know why batteries in the GG last 0.000001 second: the backlight bulb is the size of a AA battery >_<

Starshadow
July 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Its the same length, but narrower.

BTW a rule of thumb for GG Tuner compatibility. If your Battery life is 4-5 hours, its compatible, if its 5-6, its not. Around the time they did the revision to drop Tuner support in the design, they also did a revision to make the machine a little less battery hungry.