PDA

View Full Version : PS/2 Mod 95 not reading floppies

NeXT
July 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm in the midst of a deal for an earlier version of the IBM PS/2 Model 95 system with a Type 2 processor complex board in it and it's mine for some pricey shipping from the lower south US and while the system itself looks good and is complete, it has an issue where it does not read floppies.
It does not give any floppy associated errors at boot (though it does complain about a special partition being missing from the hard drive) and unfortunately, the guy who has it has no other spare PS/2 floppy drives (short of a 2.88 drive but that's useless as to use it you must first use the reference diskette which brings up a chicken or egg issue).
Does this sound like the result of a bad floppy drive or a bad planar? I need a way to diagnose the problem from up here in Canadia and I'm assuming he is unable to hack together an adapter to use a regular floppy drive.
I really want this system though. I have a complete SGI IrisVision video card I want to plug into it as well as a Kingston TurboChip and compatible ram to boost the performance of this system to its limits. The main issue is that if I dump $150+ into shipping I run a chance that it could in fact be the planar, in which case I'm screwed.

EDIT: If it helps any, both me and the owner of the system both have the technical reference manual for the system in pdf form.

Druid6900
July 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I could be wrong, but, IIRC, there was someone on here a while back selling 95s and it turned out that the floppies in them didn't work in the majority of cases.

Seems that it was a common fault with the system if it WAS the 95.

Unknown_K
July 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
It was brand new 80's that didnt work.

I have a 95 Type 4 (P60 I think) and it probably has a 2.88MB floppy in it.

NeXT
July 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
It was brand new 80's that didnt work.

I have a 95 Type 4 (P60 I think) and it probably has a 2.88MB floppy in it.

Yeah well unless we can feed the system a reference diskette for the 2.88 floppy drive there is no way the guy with the system can test to see if it really is just a bad floppy drive. How did you do it or did not prompt for a reference diskette when you installed the 2.88 floppy drive?

NeXT
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
So I'm assuming there is no real way to remotely diagnose this problem? If I don't claim the thing it's headed for the garbage. :/

barythrin
July 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Not a solution but is that really the cheapest shipping solution you can get? I assume he's not asking anything for the system since it's headed to the trash otherwise. He could always try connecting the 2.88 and see if it asks or not, or maybe find someone on the board that's closer and may be able to be an intermediate pickup for you.

NeXT
July 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
He's in no super quick rush to get rid of it right now but if I want it I gotta pay the shipping before mid next month as after that I start pooling large amounts of money into my savings for my big move out of the house next spring and in to Vancouver.
He's already tried the 2.88 floppy drive but it then prompts for a reference diskette (which it can't read due to the drive not yet being configured for the system) so at the least I guess it is detecting the presence of different floppy drives.

RetroHacker_
July 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I seriously doubt it's the planar. IBM PS/2 floppy drives are notorious for failing due to dried grease, blocked optical sensors and the like.

-Ian

NeXT
July 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
So I guess it's then worth the $150+ it will cost me to ship it to my door?

I sure hope that it is just the drive.