PDA

View Full Version : Early "Computer Chronicles" TV shows on archive.org

barythrin
July 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I never heard of this show before but it's quite entertaining to watch. http://www.archive.org/details/computerchronicles/ You can look around for different systems. (Actually, anyone here in these? (As I see someone from a c64 user group being interviewed in the Commodore 64 TV edition).

They're interested in this old system and how it's popularity and they show the games area in Toys R Us which in 1988 (the current day this TV show is). Quite an entertaining show.

Here's the c64 episode http://www.archive.org/details/CC517_commodore_64 **This loads the shockwave video so slow internet connections be warned**

Found this searching around for older IBM info so probably lots of state of the art technology getting shown off during it's heyday.

paul
July 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I loved watching that show on PBS, as stiffly presented as it was. I recently found one recorded on an old VHS tape I had with Stewart interviewing a guy from Quarterdeck going into great detail about loading drivers into high memory. Today I almost can't believe the cost and effort we put into trying to do as much as possible with DOS.

tezza
July 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Yes, I came across these about a year ago. They are good value for anyone interested in vintage computers.

The existence of such a show reflects the public interest in these devices back in the 1980s.

Now of course, microcomputers have developed into an array of consumer items, some interesting but most not (at least to me).

Tez

phogren
July 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Wow, thanks. I also remember that program. The episode about Gary Kildall is also very interesting.

Vint
July 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I remember Computer Chronicles from the 80's. They aired on PBS channel WVIZ here in the Cleveland, Ohio area - I believe it was on Saturday mornings at 8 or 8:30 AM. I watched it every chance I got back then. Hey, it was the only 'computer' type show going around here. Cheifet kept the show going at a pretty quick pace because guests always had a tendency to go into more detail than the time allocated provided. His many times co-host Gary Kildall was a very influential computer pioneer, (Google the guy).
Anyway, I've watched many of the archives too, and they always bring a smile to my face - we sure have come a long way since then.
The shows were sometimes kind of dry, depending upon your interest in the particular show subject of the day, but better TV watching than some of the garbage they put on TV/cable nowdays, that's for sure. These vintage computer shows can be very enlightening, historically, to some of our young members of this forum that have a great interest in vintage computers - but weren't around yet during the early days of computers.
Watch the 'Computer Bowl' shows - they're quite fun :)
These shows would have an even greater fascination if they could have started say, in 1975, instead of early 80's.

NeXT
July 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I was introduced to them last year on the Computer Graphics episode where they showed off the IRIS.
I freaking love the show and if I got a few hours of free time I usually watch a few episodes.

MikeS
July 16th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Anybody out there remember a show called Bits and Bytes (and its sequel Bits and Bytes II), produced by TVO in Canada in the 80's, and its follow-up show called The Academy? A quick Google only turned up a few clips and background info but unfortunately I didn't find any complete episodes. FWIW I was one of the consultants, along with Commodore guru Jim Butterfield.

The original series was produced in '83 AFAIR when the IBM PC was still new, so it's mostly about the PET, Apple ][, TRS80 model 1, TI99 etc.; it'd be nice if it were available on the Web somewhere...

mike

barythrin
July 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I figure it's probably been on archive for years now and I'm a late discovering the show but it was fun watching a few episodes. It's cool that they have a link to download them, though I kinda doubt those will be alive lol. Maybe something to archive if they are though.

Even the news at the end is fun to watch as new technology just released like CMOS is being bragged about, and the (very not-impartial) tech guy's software review. While it sounds more like a sales pitch but still was fun to see an early electronic encyclopedia on CD being talked about. "For only $300!" "But, won't this require me to purchase an $800 cd-rom unit? Yes! But I guarantee this won't be the only compact disc that you'll be wanting"