PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIe Platinum Disk Drives

scamp3
July 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I recently got an Apple IIe Platinum that came with two 5 1/4 disk drives (the ones that you plug drive 1 in, then drive 2 plugs into the back of drive 1.

When I first powered the machine on it booted a disk fine, I was trying different disks in this drive then suddenly it won't read any disks anymore,

the drive clatters and spins fine but it doesn't load. So I used drive 2 as drive
1 one for a while and eventually this one failed also. All of this happened within a week.

One thing I noticed is some of the old disks I was trying didn't work because of the deterioration, is it possible that the heads are dirty from these?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

tezza
July 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Scamp,

Check my blog entry on failed apple II disk drives (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2009-03-23-teac-apple-disk-drive-repairs.htm). Could you have accidently zapped them as I did with mine?

Of course dirty heads is also a real possibility. This has caused problems for me in the past (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2008-10-05-transferring-disk-images-to-real-disks-for-the-system-80.htm)with old collections.

Tez

Geo3
July 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yes old disks can foul out a head. After it is read a few times hopefully all of the loose brown oxidized is removed from the disks. I know that after I try to find out what some the disk actually are, like Scramble Eggs, or Suzuki Zenshu is I have to run a disk cleaning disk with a few drops of Isopropl Alcohol on it. They can be used for than the few times they tell you. A lot more times.
You can do it with a Qtip and Isopropi Alcohol. Kind of hard to get in there. Too wet and it does not really clean just move the stuff around. You need it wet enough so that the Qtip acts as sponge and holds the dirt. A head cleaning disk is really the fastest and easiest way to do it.
With any head cleaning disk do not try to write to it. I seen some one kill a 3.5 apple drive that way.

Take Care

scamp3
July 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
With these drives you can't plug them in the wrong way because the plug is like a printer plug. I think I will clean the heads and try again.

scamp3
July 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Just a side note, when opening the drive the inside mechnism and head is exactly the same as a commodore 1541.

tezza
July 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
With these drives you can't plug them in the wrong way because the plug is like a printer plug. I think I will clean the heads and try again.

Ah, ok, I know the drives you mean.

Yes, dirty heads (from dirty disks) are a prime suspect.

Tez